Asterisk: - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Asterisk: - Mandrake ; Hi, I am a retired telephone tech/manager who recently had a bad experience with a local company offering digital phone service (VoIP). I have spent the last thirty years in the PSTN network, switching, PBX and key system field and ...

  1. Asterisk:

    Hi,

    I am a retired telephone tech/manager who recently had a bad experience with
    a local company offering digital phone service (VoIP). I have spent the last
    thirty years in the PSTN network, switching, PBX and key system field and am
    interested in learning more about VoIP. My background also includes
    programming, mostly specialized applications to interact with the PSTN
    network. Most of my experience in this field have been with Borland
    products, specifically Delphi. I also have been involved with database
    programming, same platform as the communications.

    My computer experience started with the operating system CPM (I'm not really
    that old, only 56). The best platform now seems to be Linux so now since I
    am retired now, it seems a good time to learn something new. I also have
    been looking at Asterisk which most companies seem to be using for a PBX
    platform. I found out by accident that the local company I had the problem
    with uses this PBX software.

    Could someone steer me in the right direction as to where to start? I spent
    most of my career in the telephone industry in a 'bush' area of Alaska so
    pretty much had to teach myself what I needed to know about computers but I
    can learn almost anything from a book and by asking questions when I get
    stuck. Most of my experience was before the Internet so I plan on using this
    avenue to advance my knowledge.

    I understand what a broad scope I am asking about so would appreciate any
    tips to help me get started. Since there are many 'brands' of Linux what is
    the best one to start with? Which Linux will be better when I get to the
    point of working with Asterisk? Any tips or ideas on books, online tutors,
    discussions or anything of this nature would be much appreciated.

    I hope to add to this group if I can be any assistance from the 'other side',
    the PSTN network.

    Thank You,

    Gary H. Thompson

    asterisk@wvlogging.com

  2. Re: Asterisk:

    "Gary H. Thompson" wrote:

    > I am a retired telephone tech/manager who recently had a bad experience with
    > a local company offering digital phone service (VoIP). I have spent the last
    > thirty years in the PSTN network, switching, PBX and key system field and am
    > interested in learning more about VoIP. My background also includes
    > programming, mostly specialized applications to interact with the PSTN
    > network. Most of my experience in this field have been with Borland
    > products, specifically Delphi. I also have been involved with database
    > programming, same platform as the communications.
    >
    > My computer experience started with the operating system CPM (I'm not really
    > that old, only 56). The best platform now seems to be Linux so now since I
    > am retired now, it seems a good time to learn something new. I also have
    > been looking at Asterisk which most companies seem to be using for a PBX
    > platform. I found out by accident that the local company I had the problem
    > with uses this PBX software.
    >
    > Could someone steer me in the right direction as to where to start? I spent
    > most of my career in the telephone industry in a 'bush' area of Alaska so
    > pretty much had to teach myself what I needed to know about computers but I
    > can learn almost anything from a book and by asking questions when I get
    > stuck. Most of my experience was before the Internet so I plan on using this
    > avenue to advance my knowledge.
    >
    > I understand what a broad scope I am asking about so would appreciate any
    > tips to help me get started. Since there are many 'brands' of Linux what is
    > the best one to start with? Which Linux will be better when I get to the
    > point of working with Asterisk? Any tips or ideas on books, online tutors,
    > discussions or anything of this nature would be much appreciated.
    >
    > I hope to add to this group if I can be any assistance from the 'other side',
    > the PSTN network.

    I think you are on the wrong group. For Mandriva (the successor to
    mandrake) use alt.os.linux.mandriva. You might also look at
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu. However these deal with individual Linux
    distributions. For generalities see comp.programming.

    I don't know where to go for PBX/Voip stuff. I am the
    designer/Chief Engineer of the Chestel PBX system, which you may
    have heard of. It failed due to excessive penny pinching by upper
    management (use of the 8008, rather than a faster minicomputer for
    early release, use of lousy power supplies). The fundamentals were
    sound. At that time the 8080 was not yet available, and would have
    handled the problem. The soundness is evidenced that the 8008
    could control the system, but could not recover in time from a
    dropped bit. When it takes 10 second gaps to restore
    communications the user has given up in disgust. All this resulted
    in my resignation.

    -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
    -- Thomas Matthews

  3. Re: Asterisk:

    Gary H. Thompson wrote:

    [snip]
    > I understand what a broad scope I am asking about so would appreciate any
    > tips to help me get started. Since there are many 'brands' of Linux what
    > is the best one to start with? Which Linux will be better when I get to
    > the point of working with Asterisk? Any tips or ideas on books, online
    > tutors, discussions or anything of this nature would be much appreciated.

    [snip]

    Since you are asking in a Mandrake news group, anyone who answers will say
    the best distribution is Mandrake. ;-)

    There is one major problem, Mandrake lost the court case with the comic
    book magician and is now called Mandriva (they also acquired Connectiva).
    See . If you want to compare different
    linux distributions have a look at .

    --
    sig goes here...