Update has killed my system - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Update has killed my system - Mandrake ; Thinking a system update might solve some of my printing problems, I did an urpmi update followed by an rpm rebuildb. (This is under Mandriva 2006.0 official). Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up followed by a blue ...

  1. Update has killed my system

    Thinking a system update might solve some of my printing problems, I did
    an urpmi update followed by an rpm rebuildb. (This is under Mandriva
    2006.0 official). Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    anyone help me?

    Alan

  2. Re: Update has killed my system

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:56:30 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    > followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    > assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    > and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    > lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    > anyone help me?

    change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab

    After a login prompt, clear your error log with
    cp /dev/null .xsession-errors

    Now start your desktop manager with
    startx

    Ctl+Alt+backspace should drop you back to command line where you can
    less .xsession-errors

    another method of catching desktop startup messages

    startx > /tmp/Xlog 2>&1

    /tmp/Xlog has what happens.

  3. Re: Update has killed my system

    Alan Secker writes:

    >Thinking a system update might solve some of my printing problems, I did
    >an urpmi update followed by an rpm rebuildb. (This is under Mandriva
    >2006.0 official). Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    >followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    >assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    >and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    >lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    >anyone help me?

    >Alan

    atl-ctrl-F1
    and look at the messages.
    alt-ctrl-F2 and log on as root and fix the problems.

  4. Re: Update has killed my system

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:56:30 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Thinking a system update might solve some of my printing problems, I did
    > an urpmi update followed by an rpm rebuildb. (This is under Mandriva
    > 2006.0 official). Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    > followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    > assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    > and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    > lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    > anyone help me?
    >
    > Alan

    Sounds like you may have changed your video resolution. I did this
    recently by playing around with the different settings and ended up
    with what you got. To change the settings back I rebooted into safe
    mode, logged on as root, used the command drakconf which brought
    up a primitive config gui and changed the setting back to where it was.
    Cant use a mouse here, just tab key, arrows and enter.
    hth
    brianM

  5. Re: Update has killed my system

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Thinking a system update might solve some of my printing problems, I did
    > an urpmi update followed by an rpm rebuildb. (This is under Mandriva
    > 2006.0 official). Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    > followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    > assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    > and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    > lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    > anyone help me?
    >
    > Alan

    Did you re-configure your urpmi sources prior to the "system update" ?
    If so you could have selected 2007(default @ easyurpmi.zarb.org) and
    that would royally **** your system.
    Another explanation for botched GUI boot could be foul permissions in
    your home dir(happened to me a couple of times); when you come to that
    scrambled screen do Ctrl+Alt+F1, login as root, then
    # init 3
    when you get the prompt back
    # chown -R /home/

    --

    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx?view=detail

    If you grab my rpms please consider signing up via this link
    and getting me some referral points:
    http://www.drivehq.com/secure/signup.aspx?refID=2454535

    RLU #407952

  6. Re: Update has killed my system

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Thinking a system update might solve some of my printing problems, I did
    > an urpmi update followed by an rpm rebuildb. (This is under Mandriva
    > 2006.0 official). Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    > followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    > assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    > and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    > lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    > anyone help me?
    >
    > Alan

    Did you re-configure your urpmi sources prior to the "system update" ?
    If so you could have selected 2007(default @ easyurpmi.zarb.org) and
    that would royally **** your system.
    Another explanation for botched GUI boot could be foul permissions in
    your home dir(happened to me a couple of times); when you come to that
    scrambled screen do Ctrl+Alt+F1, login as root, then
    # init 3
    when you get the prompt back
    # chown -R /home/

    --

    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx?view=detail
    (Bandwidth is limited - use it wisely)

    If you grab my rpms please consider signing up via this link
    and getting me some referral points:
    http://www.drivehq.com/secure/signup.aspx?refID=2454535

    RLU #407952

  7. Re: Update has killed my system

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:00:23 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:56:30 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Upon rebooting the system, the kde splash came up
    >> followed by a blue screen with two horizontal parallel white patches. I
    >> assume the white patches would normally become entry fields for username
    >> and password but things never got that far. Although I can escape from
    >> lilo or can boot into rescue mode, I have no idea what to do next. Can
    >> anyone help me?

    > change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab
    >
    > After a login prompt, clear your error log with
    > cp /dev/null .xsession-errors
    >
    > Now start your desktop manager with
    > startx
    >
    > Ctl+Alt+backspace should drop you back to command line where you can
    > less .xsession-errors
    >
    > another method of catching desktop startup messages
    >
    > startx > /tmp/Xlog 2>&1
    >
    > /tmp/Xlog has what happens.

    I followed the instructions as far as I could but for some reason
    /tmp/Xlog wouldn't write.

    However, some error messages captured to the screen included:

    fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BUSID PCI:1:0:1 found

    I rebooted under knoppix and compared Xorg.conf in both the defaulting
    drive and the backup. Both had the same settings but for PCI:1:0:0

    I can get to a command line login screen but can only get kde to come up
    if I log in as root. Could this be a clue?

    Alan

  8. Re: Update has killed my system

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:17:08 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I can get to a command line login screen but can only get kde to come up
    > if I log in as root. Could this be a clue?

    Create a new user, say junk. Login as junk and see if it works for junk.

    If so, user account problem. If not, it would be a permission problem.

    If user problem, remove user's .Xauthority file
    rm .Xauthority
    startx
    Still broke,
    mv .kde .kde_broke
    startx

  9. Re: Update has killed my system

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:20:52 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:17:08 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I can get to a command line login screen but can only get kde to come up
    >> if I log in as root. Could this be a clue?

    > Create a new user, say junk. Login as junk and see if it works for junk.
    >
    > If so, user account problem. If not, it would be a permission problem.
    >
    > If user problem, remove user's .Xauthority file
    > rm .Xauthority
    > startx
    > Still broke,
    > mv .kde .kde_broke
    > startx

    Fantastic! Thank you for your invaluable help.

    Alan

  10. Re: Update has killed my system

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I can get to a command line login screen but can only get kde to come up
    > if I log in as root. Could this be a clue?

    Had you read all follow-ups to your topic you'd be /home by now(pun
    intended) instead of asking the question that's already been answered.

    --

    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx?view=detail
    (Bandwidth is limited - use it wisely)

    If you grab my rpms please consider signing up via this link
    and getting me some referral points:
    http://www.drivehq.com/secure/signup.aspx?refID=2454535

    RLU #407952

+ Reply to Thread