Mandriva Flavours - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva Flavours - Mandrake ; I have just spent about an hour browsing the Internet trying to identify the detailed differences between 'Discovery', 'Powerpack' and 'Powerpack+". It is remarkable but I could not find a single site that explained this. Mandriva's site has the vaguest ...

  1. Mandriva Flavours

    I have just spent about an hour browsing the Internet trying to identify
    the detailed differences between 'Discovery', 'Powerpack' and
    'Powerpack+". It is remarkable but I could not find a single site that
    explained this. Mandriva's site has the vaguest decriptions that could
    hardly give a newcomer to Mandriva much confidence. I want to make sure
    that I choose the version that contains exactly what I need before buying.
    How can I find out?

  2. Re: Mandriva Flavours

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have just spent about an hour browsing the Internet trying to identify
    > the detailed differences between 'Discovery', 'Powerpack' and
    > 'Powerpack+". It is remarkable but I could not find a single site that
    > explained this. Mandriva's site has the vaguest decriptions that could
    > hardly give a newcomer to Mandriva much confidence. I want to make sure
    > that I choose the version that contains exactly what I need before buying.
    > How can I find out?

    Goto this link: http://www.mandriva.com/en/individua...2006comparison

    I don't think they made a comparison page for 2007, but little has changed in
    the fundamental differences between the packages.

  3. Re: Mandriva Flavours

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I have just spent about an hour browsing the Internet trying to identify
    > the detailed differences between 'Discovery', 'Powerpack' and
    > 'Powerpack+". It is remarkable but I could not find a single site that
    > explained this. Mandriva's site has the vaguest decriptions that could
    > hardly give a newcomer to Mandriva much confidence. I want to make sure
    > that I choose the version that contains exactly what I need before buying.
    > How can I find out?

    Discovery is for those who would like to try Linux, and see what
    it can do for them. The purpose of the package is to get a user
    without clue up and running in a satisfactory manner quickly.

    Powerpack is intended for those who are willing to spend some
    time learning and working on the system.

    Powerpack+ is the holdover version for the pros, who make their
    living using this stuff. Nowdays, these guys are mostly members
    of the Mandriva Club and get their software months before it
    comes out in a commercial package, but it is still available in
    a packaged form for anyone who wants it that way.

    Unless you are on dial-up, or are not comfortable with burning
    CDs (or a DVD or two), there is no real need to buy a package.
    Get the free full-fledged version from a mirror, burn to disk,
    and install from there. Add whatever you want from the mirrors,
    getting the proprietary stuff either from the PLF free and
    non-free sites or direct from the vendor (Nvidia, etc).

    Join the Mandriva Club and contribute to keeping the
    distribution financially viable, if you wish. Or do as I do and
    buy a package now and then for the convenience of having an
    install/reinstall capability handy, concurrently with
    contributing to the cause. (Cause I like UNIX. And Linux. )

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Mandriva Flavours

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:49:41 -0600, Jim Townsend wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:

    //
    //

    > Goto this link:
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/individua...2006comparison
    >
    > I don't think they made a comparison page for 2007, but little has
    > changed in the fundamental differences between the packages.

    That'as very helpful. I had intended originally intended to buy one copy
    every other release but now that the releases are yearly, it seems to be
    every year! Thanks.

    Alan

  5. Re: Mandriva Flavours

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:49:41 -0600, Jim Townsend wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>

    > //
    > //
    >>
    >> Goto this link:
    >> http://www.mandriva.com/en/individua...2006comparison
    >>
    >> I don't think they made a comparison page for 2007, but little has
    >> changed in the fundamental differences between the packages.

    > That'as very helpful. I had intended originally intended to buy one copy
    > every other release but now that the releases are yearly, it seems to be
    > every year! Thanks.
    >
    > Alan

    the release schedule has changed back to a 6 month
    cycle.

    we get twice the fun

  6. Re: Mandriva Flavours

    patrick darcy wrote:
    > Alan Secker wrote:

    >> That'as very helpful. I had intended originally intended to buy one copy
    >> every other release but now that the releases are yearly, it seems to be
    >> every year! Thanks.

    > the release schedule has changed back to a 6 month
    > cycle.
    >
    > we get twice the fun

    And the 2007.1 release is already in the beta stage. :-)

+ Reply to Thread