no kde headers - Mandrake

This is a discussion on no kde headers - Mandrake ; howdy.... new to mandrake..using 10.2. i'm getting the hang of installing for the most part, did however run into the same problem with a couple of apps though. when i try to install hearts game or mplayer i get the ...

  1. no kde headers

    howdy.... new to mandrake..using 10.2.
    i'm getting the hang of installing for the most part, did however run into
    the same problem with a couple of apps though.
    when i try to install hearts game or mplayer i get the same error:
    no kde headers etc..use different prefix. any ideas how i get around this?
    any and all help will be appreciated..thanks

  2. Re: no kde headers

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:34:19 GMT, Altapenguin wrote:
    > howdy.... new to mandrake..using 10.2.

    You might want read
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime
    and check the end of support date for your release.

    You are missing a boat load of security/bug fixes.
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=10.2
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2006.0
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2007.0

    > any ideas how i get around this?

    any and all help will be appreciated..thanks

    I will suggest a clean install for the lastest release (2007)
    I would not try an upgade.

  3. Re: no kde headers

    On 2007-02-11, Altapenguin wrote:
    > howdy.... new to mandrake..using 10.2.
    > i'm getting the hang of installing for the most part, did however run into
    > the same problem with a couple of apps though.
    > when i try to install hearts game or mplayer i get the same error:
    > no kde headers etc..use different prefix. any ideas how i get around this?
    > any and all help will be appreciated..thanks

    It sounds as though you are trying to compile from source; that isn't the
    easiest or best way to install software on Mandrake (and your version of
    Mandrake is out of date and no longer supported, by the way - Mandriva
    2007 is current ).

    The "Hearts" game seems not to be part of the usual 'KDEgames' package,
    nor a seperate Mandr[ake|iva] RPM package. But mplayer is certainly
    included in the Mandr* repositories which you can set up by following the
    instructions at after which you can install
    packages using Mandriva's GUI tools or the urpmi command.

    To compile from source, you will first need to install whatever files
    are needed for the program you are trying to compile; the source code
    tarball should tell you what is needed, and the error messages when you
    try to compile will also tell you if any are not available.

    You can find which RPM package contains a particular file, by going to the
    software management tools in the Mandrake Control Centre ('configure your
    computer' from the main menu) and searching 'in file names' in the
    'install new packages' interface.

    Consider using the 'checkinstall' package (which you can install from the
    GUI or with urpmi, once your repositories are set up) to create an RPM
    from your compiled code, so that Mandriva's own package mangement tools
    can be aware of what you've installed and thus avoid possible clashes with
    other packages (and make it easy to un-install).

    The newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva is now well established and getting
    more traffic than alt.os.linux.mandrake - the name of the distro changed
    in 2004. If your news-server still doesn't carry it, please ask them to
    add it. The more people ask, the more likely they are to take notice.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: no kde headers

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 06:28:29 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:34:19 GMT, Altapenguin wrote:
    >> howdy.... new to mandrake..using 10.2.

    > You might want read
    > http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime
    > and check the end of support date for your release.
    >
    > You are missing a boat load of security/bug fixes.
    > http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=10.2
    > http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2006.0
    > http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2007.0
    >
    >> any ideas how i get around this?

    > any and all help will be appreciated..thanks
    >
    > I will suggest a clean install for the lastest release (2007)
    > I would not try an upgade.

    i did install the mandriva 2007, really liked it, unfortunately my athlon
    650 didn't ... but it impressed me enough to seriously think about
    purchasing it..have to upgrade the comp first...in the meantime i'll
    definately pursue the suggestions here..thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread