REQ: Linux Mandrake 9.2 Images - 3 CD's - Mandrake

This is a discussion on REQ: Linux Mandrake 9.2 Images - 3 CD's - Mandrake ; The computer is an old Packard Bell 200 with 32 mg of ram. I downloaded the 10 distro CD-1 from 2 different places and when I load it, it doesn't even get started. Both CD's show the same error when ...

  1. REQ: Linux Mandrake 9.2 Images - 3 CD's

    The computer is an old Packard Bell 200 with 32 mg of ram. I downloaded the 10 distro CD-1
    from 2 different places and when I load it, it doesn't even get started. Both CD's show the same
    error when they start up. Copied your URL you listed and will try that in just a minute and do
    some more searching. Will also try to find some more ram for the computer or it could be that
    Packard Bell is 100% compatible with 10. Maybe that's why they went belly up.

  2. Re: REQ: Linux Mandrake 9.2 Images - 3 CD's

    Due to the clearing effect of the killfile
    I was able to see Howie.Feldersnatch@home.com say:

    > The computer is an old Packard Bell 200 with 32 mg of ram. I downloaded
    > the 10 distro CD-1 from 2 different places and when I load it, it doesn't
    > even get started. Both CD's show the same error when they start up. Copied
    > your URL you listed and will try that in just a minute and do some more
    > searching. Will also try to find some more ram for the computer or it
    > could be that Packard Bell is 100% compatible with 10. Maybe that's why
    > they went belly up.

    With 32 meg ram and maybe a 200 mhz machine you are a bit limited anyway.
    KDE doesn't run very well without 128meg ram... Well, you can trim it to
    run with 64meg. 32meg swaps continuously.

    I'd think a lighter distro would be better. DSL maybe. Or deb or slack.

    --
    Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64

+ Reply to Thread