KVM switch problems with Linux - Mandrake

This is a discussion on KVM switch problems with Linux - Mandrake ; I know this subject has come up many times before, but it's new to me. I am having trouble getting a KVM switch to reliably switch between my Windows XP laptop and my two Linux boxes. The PC's are as ...

  1. KVM switch problems with Linux

    I know this subject has come up many times before, but it's new to me.
    I am having trouble getting a KVM switch to reliably switch between my
    Windows XP laptop and my two Linux boxes. The PC's are as follows:

    1. IBM Thinkpad T60 laptop with port replicator, running Windows XP.
    It accepts one PS/2 device only, but a Y connector with PS/2 inputs
    for
    keyboard and mouse and a USB output to the PC works just fine, with
    or
    without the KVM switch.
    2. Dell Precision 3 GHz desktop, about 3 years old, running SUSE Linux
    10.0.
    3. Old Dell Dimension 500 MHz desktop, about 8 years old, running
    SUSE Linux 10.1

    I have tried many combinations of keyboards, mice, and KVM switches,
    and
    I still can't get the system running reliably. Here are some of the
    results:

    1. The most promising configuration is a Belkin F1DB104P 4-port PS/2
    switch,
    used with a standard Dell PS/2 keyboard and Microsoft PS/2 wheel
    mouse.
    The problem is: when I switch to either Linux box, the mouse goes
    crazy.
    If I move it, it clicks on things randomly, writes nonsense to the
    console windows,
    generally mucks everything up. The cure: unplug the mouse for a few
    seconds,
    then plug back in. How can I avoid having to do this? What might be
    the cause?
    1a. I also bought a new KVM switch of this model, but it doesn't work
    at all!
    2. The next most promising configuration is an old Belkin F1D102 2-
    port PS/2
    KVM switch. This works fine, but I want to get to all three PCs.
    3. I also tried an IOGEAR GCS632U 2-port USB switch, with new USB
    keyboard
    and mouse. This worked OK for a while, but it started going flaky:
    both the
    keyboard and the mouse would drop out. Shaking the mouse for 15
    seconds woke
    it up. Unplugging all USB connections repeatedly got the keyboard
    working.
    Unacceptable.
    4. I have purchased two new 4-port USB KVM switches: a Belkin OmniView
    SOHO
    model F1DS104U and a StarTech Starview model SV431USB . Should I
    spend the
    time trying to get these to work? Does Linux have a problem with USB
    ports?

    Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

  2. Re: KVM switch problems with Linux

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:32:16 -0800, prk wrote:

    > I know this subject has come up many times before, but it's new to me.
    > I am having trouble getting a KVM switch to reliably switch between my
    > Windows XP laptop and my two Linux boxes. The PC's are as follows:
    >
    > 1. IBM Thinkpad T60 laptop with port replicator, running Windows XP.
    > It accepts one PS/2 device only, but a Y connector with PS/2 inputs
    > for
    > keyboard and mouse and a USB output to the PC works just fine, with
    > or
    > without the KVM switch.
    > 2. Dell Precision 3 GHz desktop, about 3 years old, running SUSE Linux
    > 10.0.
    > 3. Old Dell Dimension 500 MHz desktop, about 8 years old, running
    > SUSE Linux 10.1
    >
    > I have tried many combinations of keyboards, mice, and KVM switches,
    > and
    > I still can't get the system running reliably. Here are some of the
    > results:
    >
    > 1. The most promising configuration is a Belkin F1DB104P 4-port PS/2
    > switch,
    > used with a standard Dell PS/2 keyboard and Microsoft PS/2 wheel
    > mouse.
    > The problem is: when I switch to either Linux box, the mouse goes
    > crazy.
    > If I move it, it clicks on things randomly, writes nonsense to the
    > console windows,
    > generally mucks everything up. The cure: unplug the mouse for a few
    > seconds,
    > then plug back in. How can I avoid having to do this? What might be
    > the cause?
    > 1a. I also bought a new KVM switch of this model, but it doesn't work
    > at all!
    > 2. The next most promising configuration is an old Belkin F1D102 2-
    > port PS/2
    > KVM switch. This works fine, but I want to get to all three PCs.
    > 3. I also tried an IOGEAR GCS632U 2-port USB switch, with new USB
    > keyboard
    > and mouse. This worked OK for a while, but it started going flaky:
    > both the
    > keyboard and the mouse would drop out. Shaking the mouse for 15
    > seconds woke
    > it up. Unplugging all USB connections repeatedly got the keyboard
    > working.
    > Unacceptable.
    > 4. I have purchased two new 4-port USB KVM switches: a Belkin OmniView
    > SOHO
    > model F1DS104U and a StarTech Starview model SV431USB . Should I
    > spend the
    > time trying to get these to work? Does Linux have a problem with USB
    > ports?
    >
    > Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

    I may be way off base here, but it seems to me that most of the KVM
    problems I've seen posted had to do with Belkin. I'm not into USB
    peripherals, but I use a couple of el cheapo IO/Gear KVMs and have never
    had a moments problem.

  3. Re: KVM switch problems with Linux

    ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:32:16 -0800, prk wrote:
    >
    >> I know this subject has come up many times before, but it's new to me.
    >> I am having trouble getting a KVM switch to reliably switch between my
    >> Windows XP laptop and my two Linux boxes. The PC's are as follows:
    >>

    >> Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

    > I may be way off base here, but it seems to me that most of the KVM
    > problems I've seen posted had to do with Belkin. I'm not into USB
    > peripherals, but I use a couple of el cheapo IO/Gear KVMs and have never
    > had a moments problem.

    I agree. I had a Belkin 4 port KVM and had all sorts of problems, and not
    just limited to Linux, it wouldn't switch reliably between Windows machines
    either.

    Now I have an ATEN CS-1764 KVM and it rocks. Switches perfectly every time,
    and does audio & USB as well. You can even have the audio running on one
    machine and the keyboard & mouse switched to another.

    Dump the Belkin **** and get yourself an ATEN (or other quality brand).

    Mackin

  4. Re: KVM switch problems with Linux

    prk@alcatel-lucent.com wrote:
    > I know this subject has come up many times before, but it's new to me.
    > I am having trouble getting a KVM switch to reliably switch between my
    > Windows XP laptop and my two Linux boxes...

    Based on my experience with KVM switches, it sounds like a firmware
    problem. I had similar symptoms to yours with my ATEN 1734A KVM switch
    until I downloaded and installed a new firmware file from their website
    - everything worked fine after that. I go back and forth between my
    Linux machines and the XP machine without any problems now.

    Why don't you check to see if there is a newer firmware version for your
    switch and see if that doesn't help.

    RJ

  5. Re: KVM switch problems with Linux

    prk@alcatel-lucent.com wrote:
    > I know this subject has come up many times before, but it's new to me.
    > I am having trouble getting a KVM switch to reliably switch between my
    > Windows XP laptop and my two Linux boxes. The PC's are as follows:
    >
    > 1. IBM Thinkpad T60 laptop with port replicator, running Windows XP.
    > It accepts one PS/2 device only, but a Y connector with PS/2 inputs
    > for
    > keyboard and mouse and a USB output to the PC works just fine, with
    > or
    > without the KVM switch.
    > 2. Dell Precision 3 GHz desktop, about 3 years old, running SUSE Linux
    > 10.0.
    > 3. Old Dell Dimension 500 MHz desktop, about 8 years old, running
    > SUSE Linux 10.1
    >
    > I have tried many combinations of keyboards, mice, and KVM switches,
    > and
    > I still can't get the system running reliably. Here are some of the
    > results:
    >
    > 1. The most promising configuration is a Belkin F1DB104P 4-port PS/2
    > switch,
    > used with a standard Dell PS/2 keyboard and Microsoft PS/2 wheel
    > mouse.
    > The problem is: when I switch to either Linux box, the mouse goes
    > crazy.
    > If I move it, it clicks on things randomly, writes nonsense to the
    > console windows,
    > generally mucks everything up. The cure: unplug the mouse for a few
    > seconds,
    > then plug back in. How can I avoid having to do this? What might be
    > the cause?
    > 1a. I also bought a new KVM switch of this model, but it doesn't work
    > at all!
    > 2. The next most promising configuration is an old Belkin F1D102 2-
    > port PS/2
    > KVM switch. This works fine, but I want to get to all three PCs.
    > 3. I also tried an IOGEAR GCS632U 2-port USB switch, with new USB
    > keyboard
    > and mouse. This worked OK for a while, but it started going flaky:
    > both the
    > keyboard and the mouse would drop out. Shaking the mouse for 15
    > seconds woke
    > it up. Unplugging all USB connections repeatedly got the keyboard
    > working.
    > Unacceptable.
    > 4. I have purchased two new 4-port USB KVM switches: a Belkin OmniView
    > SOHO
    > model F1DS104U and a StarTech Starview model SV431USB . Should I
    > spend the
    > time trying to get these to work? Does Linux have a problem with USB
    > ports?
    >
    > Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

    I have an Iogear GCS62 that work fine, but I found this in its manual:

    "Some notebooks, notably the IBM ThinkPad and Toshiba Tecra, have trouble
    when their mouse and keyboard ports are used simultaneously. To avoid this,
    only connect the mouse port or the keyboard port. If you connect the mouse port,
    you will need to use the notebook's keyboard when the notebook becomes
    the active computer."

  6. Re: KVM switch problems with Linux

    Bill Pfeifer wrote:
> [...]
    >> working.
    >> Unacceptable.
    >> 4. I have purchased two new 4-port USB KVM switches: a Belkin OmniView
    >> SOHO
    >> model F1DS104U and a StarTech Starview model SV431USB . Should I
    >> spend the
    >> time trying to get these to work? Does Linux have a problem with USB
    >> ports?
    >>
    >> Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

    > I have an Iogear GCS62 that work fine, but I found this in its manual:
    >
    > "Some notebooks, notably the IBM ThinkPad and Toshiba Tecra, have trouble
    > when their mouse and keyboard ports are used simultaneously. To avoid
    > this,
    > only connect the mouse port or the keyboard port. If you connect the
    > mouse port,
    > you will need to use the notebook's keyboard when the notebook becomes

    I have a JustCom KVM 4 port PS2 switch which works with Mandrake Linux,
    OS2/ECS and Windows XP (Model JC 104P)

+ Reply to Thread