parallel port (return to) - Mandrake

This is a discussion on parallel port (return to) - Mandrake ; In December 2006 I reported a problem with accessing a icolor printer. Because of other pressures it has taken me a while to run some checks. I first installed a clean Wndows 98 on an old machine. A test print ...

  1. parallel port (return to)

    In December 2006 I reported a problem with accessing a icolor printer.
    Because of other pressures it has taken me a while to run some checks.
    I first installed a clean Wndows 98 on an old machine. A test print
    to the printer was fine. I then installed Mandriva 2007 free to the same
    machine but on a different drive. Again the printer was fine. I tested all
    my parallel cables. All were fine. I then moved the printer to my own
    machine (Mandriva 2006), configured, compiled and installed a kernel
    (2.6.14-0.mm.6mdkcustom) with the parallel port enabled.

    I booted up. dmesg extracts showed this:

    parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
    parport0: Printer, MINOLTA-QMS magicolor 2300 DL

    Which look promising but later there were multiple blocks of each of these:

    DMA write timed out
    parport0: FIFO is stuck
    parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio

    _M_str_putnext: queue overflow: dropping a message

    parport0: FIFO is stuck
    parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio
    DMA write timed out

    _M_str_putnext: queue overflow: dropping a message

    parport0: FIFO is stuck
    parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio
    DMA write timed out

    Under CUPS I have the URI set to /dev/lp0 and lp0 does show up in /dev.

    Yet there is no output. What else should I have done?

  2. Re: parallel port (return to)

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:25:59 -0500, Alan Secker wrote:
    > parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
    > parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3

    Try adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf to use interupts
    when printing, instead of polling ...
    options parport_pc irq=7 dma=3 io=0x378

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: parallel port (return to)

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:35:39 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:25:59 -0500, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
    >> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3

    > Try adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf to use interupts
    > when printing, instead of polling ...
    > options parport_pc irq=7 dma=3 io=0x378
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I was scrupulously careful in inserting the above line and even re-booted
    before testing but sadly, to no avail. Thanks for trying.
    Are there any tests that can make other than just trying to send a test print?

    Regards, Ala Secker

  4. Re: parallel port (return to)

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Under CUPS I have the URI set to /dev/lp0 and lp0 does show up in /dev.
    >
    > Yet there is no output. What else should I have done?

    I am a little confused. a URL address for the printer should
    look something like 127.0.0.1:631 . /dev/lp0 is a hardware
    "special file."

    Beyond that, I cannot help. I have an HP printer on my system,
    and after installing the needed software (CUPS, the HP software
    recommended) everything configures itself automatically and just
    works. Plus self-correction to the configuration if something
    goes wrong.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: parallel port (return to)

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:14:30 +0000, James D. Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Under CUPS I have the URI set to /dev/lp0 and lp0 does show up in /dev.
    >>
    >> Yet there is no output. What else should I have done?

    > I am a little confused. a URL address for the printer should
    > look something like 127.0.0.1:631 . /dev/lp0 is a hardware
    > "special file."
    >
    > Beyond that, I cannot help. I have an HP printer on my system,
    > and after installing the needed software (CUPS, the HP software
    > recommended) everything configures itself automatically and just
    > works. Plus self-correction to the configuration if something
    > goes wrong.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Jim

    127.0.0.1 resolves to localhost. :631 is the port for CUPS not the
    printer. Anyway, it appears the underlyng problem was the driver (still
    not fixed) but I am going to rebuild the system with a later version of
    Mandriva accompanied by a prayer or two!

    Regards

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread