Complete hd backup - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Complete hd backup - Mandrake ; Hello all, I want to make a complete backup of my linux partition (currently I only have / and swap partitions). With complete I mean I would like to be able to restore from this backup to a bootable state ...

  1. Complete hd backup

    Hello all,
    I want to make a complete backup of my linux partition (currently I
    only have / and swap partitions). With complete I mean I would like to
    be able to restore from this backup to a bootable state (okay,
    clarification, I do not need the backup process to be able to boot,
    basically I can do a minimal install, or boot from cd and then mount
    the drive with the file and restore it to the original drive and then
    reboot).

    From my understanding dd would be able to do this? I am a bit of a
    newbie with this. I currently have more than enough unparitioned space
    on my computer, so I can create a new parition and create the image
    there.

    Can someone point me to a site with some instructions on this, or
    perhaps give some help here?
    Any help is welcome

    regards
    Daniel

  2. Re: Complete hd backup

    Daniel wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I want to make a complete backup of my linux partition (currently I
    > only have / and swap partitions). With complete I mean I would like to
    > be able to restore from this backup to a bootable state (okay,
    > clarification, I do not need the backup process to be able to boot,
    > basically I can do a minimal install, or boot from cd and then mount
    > the drive with the file and restore it to the original drive and then
    > reboot).
    >
    > From my understanding dd would be able to do this? I am a bit of a
    > newbie with this. I currently have more than enough unparitioned space
    > on my computer, so I can create a new parition and create the image
    > there.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a site with some instructions on this, or
    > perhaps give some help here?
    > Any help is welcome

    Daniel

    It sounds like you want a partition imaging application. I've successfully
    used some of the facilities offered by the System Rescue CD at
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page.

    It contains 'partimage', which creates partition images and restores from
    them. Also it has 'gparted', a partition editor. Both appear very
    reliable and definitely get the job done.

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: Complete hd backup

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:28:23 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I want to make a complete backup of my linux partition (currently I
    > only have / and swap partitions). With complete I mean I would like to
    > be able to restore from this backup to a bootable state (okay,
    > clarification, I do not need the backup process to be able to boot,
    > basically I can do a minimal install, or boot from cd and then mount
    > the drive with the file and restore it to the original drive and then
    > reboot).
    >
    > From my understanding dd would be able to do this? I am a bit of a
    > newbie with this. I currently have more than enough unparitioned space
    > on my computer, so I can create a new parition and create the image
    > there.

    Yes. dd can do that. It will also waste a lot of space since it will copy
    the entire partition. That's not what you need. What you need is to back
    up the data. Try 'partimage'.

    > Can someone point me to a site with some instructions on this, or
    > perhaps give some help here?
    > Any help is welcome
    >
    > regards
    > Daniel