Mandriva 2007, permanent poweroff - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2007, permanent poweroff - Mandrake ; A rack of 20 Mandriva 10.1 nodes is to be upgraded to Mandriva 2007. So far I've done one node, which was a complete wipe of /boot and / and then a network install of Mandriva 2007. Now the strange ...

  1. Mandriva 2007, permanent poweroff

    A rack of 20 Mandriva 10.1 nodes is to be upgraded to
    Mandriva 2007. So far I've done one node, which was a
    complete wipe of /boot and / and then a network install
    of Mandriva 2007.

    Now the strange thing, after this upgrade "poweroff" on
    the test node takes it down to a state where the front
    power button is ignored. To power up again one must unplug
    the machine, count to 20, then plug it back in again and
    press the power button. That's S0 where it should be S5, or
    the other way around, I can never keep them straight.

    On the 10.1 ones the system will boot following a "poweroff".

    The computers have a Tyan S2466 motherboard, single AMD MP 2200+,
    BIOS 4.06 (the latest available for that board).
    The kernel on the old ones was 2.6.8.1 (I built that one).
    The kernel on the new ones is 2.6.17-8mdv.

    Another machine, an old(er) Athlon 850Mhz, with a
    Gigabyte motherboard and kernel 2.6.17-8mdv will
    poweroff correctly. That is, it can be turned back on from
    the front panel.

    I noticed that the old ones have /proc/acpi/sleep and the new
    ones don't - but then neither of the new ones has it and the
    older of the two can do a proper "poweroff" anyway. Nothing
    special in the boot parameters, they are both:

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda5
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="resume=/dev/hda2"

    In /var/log/dmesg both of the Mandriva 2007 ones say:

    ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
    [
    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: Mandriva 2007, permanent poweroff

    David Mathog wrote:

    > Now the strange thing, after this upgrade "poweroff" on
    > the test node takes it down to a state where the front
    > power button is ignored. To power up again one must unplug
    > the machine, count to 20, then plug it back in again and
    > press the power button.

    After a lot of work, and much help at the kernel level from
    Alexey Starikovskiy, the solution turned out to be using

    chkconfig --del

    to turn off all of these:

    acpi, acpid, harddrake, haldaemon, wltool, messagebus, mandi

    and also to move asus_acpi.ko out of the /lib/modules tree. I have
    no idea why the asus module was loading (this being a Tyan motherboard)
    but it was.

    Along the way, with various combinations of the above services turned
    on I observed some incredibly bizarre misbehavior on this system. While
    logged onto the console (not in X11) either "reboot" or "poweroff" would
    often lock at "Sending all processes the KILL signal...", which is
    killall5. Once or twice it locked at the message before, "Sending all
    processes the TERM signal...". In one instance it rebooted and then
    crashed in the BIOS. With all of these services disabled it seems to
    run reliably now. Additionally, when acpid was running it was possible
    to shutdown the system by pushing the front panel button, but then the
    next "poweroff" would lock at the "KILL signal" message.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread