setting up a home network - Mandrake

This is a discussion on setting up a home network - Mandrake ; Hello, I've only been running linux for a few months on my laptop, so take it easy on me. I have a question about linux networks. i've been using ubuntu on my laptop and recently changed over to kubuntu. i've ...

  1. setting up a home network

    Hello,

    I've only been running linux for a few months on my laptop, so take it
    easy on me.

    I have a question about linux networks. i've been using ubuntu on my
    laptop and recently changed over to kubuntu. i've enjoyed linux so
    much, i decided to switch my entire home network from windows to
    linux. on my windows network, sharing files was as easy as changing
    everyone to the same workgroup and then picking what folders to
    share. now that i'm in linux, i'm a bit lost. i tried searching this
    forum, but most of the results i get are a bit more advanced than what
    i'm looking to do.

    i have a desktop with a secondary hard drive (hdb). the drive is
    mounted to /mnt/hdb/ with read/write permissions for all users. i've
    chosen to share it with samba and nfs (my dad's laptop still runs
    windows, needs it for a program at work). how to i make it so that
    other computers will see it? i don't know how to change the domain
    name in mandriva. in ubuntu, that's easy. i've not quite yet
    discovered it in mandriva.

    also, i'm scared to death of the terminal. it's not that i need
    pretty things to look at, but sometimes, when i enter commands, no new
    text shows up to tell me if everything was successful, but everything
    did actually go fine. at least with gui i can see something happen.

    anyways, all of your help is appreciated.

  2. Re: setting up a home network

    feel free to ignore this. i wasn't paying attention and just realized
    that i posted to the mandrake group instead of the mandriva group.
    i've reposted over there.

    i'm currently using mandriva free 2007.

    derrick.bow...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've only been running linux for a few months on my laptop, so take it
    > easy on me.
    >

    > I have a question about linux networks. i've been using ubuntu on my
    > laptop and recently changed over to kubuntu. i've enjoyed linux so
    > much, i decided to switch my entire home network from windows to
    > linux. on my windows network, sharing files was as easy as changing
    > everyone to the same workgroup and then picking what folders to
    > share. now that i'm in linux, i'm a bit lost. i tried searching this
    > forum, but most of the results i get are a bit more advanced than what
    > i'm looking to do.
    >
    > i have a desktop with a secondary hard drive (hdb). the drive is
    > mounted to /mnt/hdb/ with read/write permissions for all users. i've
    > chosen to share it with samba and nfs (my dad's laptop still runs
    > windows, needs it for a program at work). how to i make it so that
    > other computers will see it? i don't know how to change the domain
    > name in mandriva. in ubuntu, that's easy. i've not quite yet
    > discovered it in mandriva.
    >
    > also, i'm scared to death of the terminal. it's not that i need
    > pretty things to look at, but sometimes, when i enter commands, no new
    > text shows up to tell me if everything was successful, but everything
    > did actually go fine. at least with gui i can see something happen.
    >
    > anyways, all of your help is appreciated.

  3. Re: setting up a home network

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 06:50:41 -0800, derrick.bowles wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've only been running linux for a few months on my laptop, so take it
    > easy on me.
    >

    > I have a question about linux networks. i've been using ubuntu on my
    > laptop and recently changed over to kubuntu. i've enjoyed linux so
    > much, i decided to switch my entire home network from windows to
    > linux. on my windows network, sharing files was as easy as changing
    > everyone to the same workgroup and then picking what folders to
    > share. now that i'm in linux, i'm a bit lost. i tried searching this
    > forum, but most of the results i get are a bit more advanced than what
    > i'm looking to do.
    >
    > i have a desktop with a secondary hard drive (hdb). the drive is
    > mounted to /mnt/hdb/ with read/write permissions for all users. i've
    > chosen to share it with samba and nfs (my dad's laptop still runs
    > windows, needs it for a program at work). how to i make it so that
    > other computers will see it? i don't know how to change the domain
    > name in mandriva. in ubuntu, that's easy. i've not quite yet
    > discovered it in mandriva.
    >
    > also, i'm scared to death of the terminal. it's not that i need
    > pretty things to look at, but sometimes, when i enter commands, no new
    > text shows up to tell me if everything was successful, but everything
    > did actually go fine. at least with gui i can see something happen.
    >
    > anyways, all of your help is appreciated.

    'system' menu - 'shared folders'

  4. Re: setting up a home network

    derrick.bowles@gmail.com wrote:
    > feel free to ignore this. i wasn't paying attention and just realized
    > that i posted to the mandrake group instead of the mandriva group.
    > i've reposted over there.

    Feel free to post it here, as well. My ISP doesn't carry the mandriva
    group and has ignored requests (too numerous to mention) to add it. It's
    see it here or don't see it for me.

    RJ

+ Reply to Thread