Problem at boot time after install - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Problem at boot time after install - Mandrake ; Hi folks! With both Powerpack 2007 and Free 2007, I've the same problem: I install from the DVD, then I boot. When it enters the Interactive mode, I have the following messages: /etc/rc.d/rc Line 68: /var/run/runlevel.dir File system read-only Cannot ...

  1. Problem at boot time after install

    Hi folks!

    With both Powerpack 2007 and Free 2007, I've the same problem:
    I install from the DVD, then I boot. When it enters the Interactive
    mode, I have the following messages:

    /etc/rc.d/rc Line 68: /var/run/runlevel.dir File system read-only
    Cannot open Log file /var/log/prcsys.log
    Cannot create temporary file!
    Cannot create temporary file!
    Cannot create temporary file!

    ....etc and nothing else !
    Please! What to do?

    NB: On the same machine, Powerpack 2006 worked beautifully.

    DDx

  2. Re: Problem at boot time after install

    Dan Dx wrote:

    > Hi folks!
    >
    > With both Powerpack 2007 and Free 2007, I've the same problem:
    > I install from the DVD, then I boot. When it enters the Interactive
    > mode, I have the following messages:
    >
    > /etc/rc.d/rc Line 68: /var/run/runlevel.dir File system read-only
    > Cannot open Log file /var/log/prcsys.log
    > Cannot create temporary file!
    > Cannot create temporary file!
    > Cannot create temporary file!
    >
    > ...etc and nothing else !
    > Please! What to do?

    Look in your /etc/fstab which device corresponds to your /var.
    Start up with pressing exc and editing your boot line to add "1"
    or "single". Then fsck the device for /var.
    Finally, "init 3" or "init 5".

  3. Re: Problem at boot time after install

    Walter Mautner a écrit :
    > Dan Dx wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks!
    >>
    >> With both Powerpack 2007 and Free 2007, I've the same problem:
    >> I install from the DVD, then I boot. When it enters the Interactive
    >> mode, I have the following messages:
    >>
    >> /etc/rc.d/rc Line 68: /var/run/runlevel.dir File system read-only
    >> Cannot open Log file /var/log/prcsys.log
    >> Cannot create temporary file!
    >> Cannot create temporary file!
    >> Cannot create temporary file!
    >>
    >> ...etc and nothing else !
    >> Please! What to do?
    >>

    > Look in your /etc/fstab which device corresponds to your /var.
    > Start up with pressing exc and editing your boot line to add "1"
    > or "single". Then fsck the device for /var.
    > Finally, "init 3" or "init 5".

    Hi Walter

    I tried something slightly different:
    Under Knoppix (because MDV didn't want to start), I went to edit
    /etc/lilo.conf and added a console mode option (append=" 3") in the
    start menu of LiLo and the boot worked well! Then I connected as user,
    then just startx... and it works!
    I'm answering to your post in Thunderbid on a funny 3D virtual desktop!
    OK it solve the problem for the moment, I'll carry on searching with
    your suggestions

    Thanx

    DDx

  4. Re: Problem at boot time after install

    DDx a écrit :
    > Walter Mautner a écrit :
    >> Dan Dx wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks!
    >>>
    >>> With both Powerpack 2007 and Free 2007, I've the same problem:
    >>> I install from the DVD, then I boot. When it enters the Interactive
    >>> mode, I have the following messages:
    >>>
    >>> /etc/rc.d/rc Line 68: /var/run/runlevel.dir File system read-only
    >>> Cannot open Log file /var/log/prcsys.log
    >>> Cannot create temporary file!
    >>> Cannot create temporary file!
    >>> Cannot create temporary file!
    >>>
    >>> ...etc and nothing else !
    >>> Please! What to do?
    >>>

    >> Look in your /etc/fstab which device corresponds to your /var.
    >> Start up with pressing exc and editing your boot line to add "1"
    >> or "single". Then fsck the device for /var.
    >> Finally, "init 3" or "init 5".
    >>

    > Hi Walter
    >
    > I tried something slightly different:
    > Under Knoppix (because MDV didn't want to start), I went to edit
    > /etc/lilo.conf and added a console mode option (append=" 3") in the
    > start menu of LiLo and the boot worked well! Then I connected as user,
    > then just startx... and it works!
    > I'm answering to your post in Thunderbid on a funny 3D virtual desktop!
    > OK it solve the problem for the moment, I'll carry on searching with
    > your suggestions
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > DDx

    Hi again!

    I've solved the pb: My machine is a laptop Asus A7Vc and there is an
    erratum about those Asus machines on the Mandriva site.
    One have to pass "pci=nomsi" to the kernel at boot, then you add it in
    LiLo thru Append.
    By the way, Walter, I use Linux for years and I didn't know (or I didn't
    remember...) that it was possible to add parameters before booting with
    the key "esc"... Thanks for the tip!

    DDx
    Everything

+ Reply to Thread