firefox 2.0.0.1 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on firefox 2.0.0.1 - Mandrake ; has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and tried to get it to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it up?...

  1. firefox 2.0.0.1

    has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and tried to get it
    to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it up?

  2. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    croaker wrote:

    > has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and tried to get it
    > to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it up?

    unzip it (tar xfvz) somewhere (it'll create a firefox directory) and make a
    link to the firefox start script. Or cd to the directory and type firefox.

    --
    Tim Fairchild - Queensland Australia
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for x86_64

  3. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:13:49 GMT, croaker wrote:
    > has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1,

    Yes.

    > I downloaded it and tried to get it
    > to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it up?

    You may get more helpful answers when you provide details pertaining
    to your problem, and what you did. Please read

    We have no idea where and what you downloaded.

    Assuming you downloaded firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz from mozilla.com then,
    you un tar it where you want it installed.

    I have a /local/opt partition/directory where I install third party
    apps which I share accross several installs. I just create a link back
    to the /local/opt install.

    So doing a
    cd /accounts/downloads
    cat *ire*inst*
    we see my install instructions.

    #************************************************* ****************
    #*
    #* firefox-2.0.0.1_install.txt
    #*
    #* Package downloaded from http://www.mozilla.com/
    #*
    #* Note: install assumes when you do a
    #* echo $PATH
    #* you see /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin
    #*
    #************************************************* ****************

    # close all email/browser accounts/apps

    Click up a terminal, login as root
    su - root

    # goto install location

    cd /local/opt
    tar zxvf /accounts/downloads/firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz
    mv firefox firefox-2.0.0.1

    # move the runtime app's link

    cd /usr/local/bin
    /bin/rm -f firefox
    ln -s /local/opt/firefox-2.0.0.1/firefox
    ls -al

    # test as root, run firefox, exit it, run again, exit firefox
    cd
    pwd
    /usr/local/bin/firefox

    # If needed, add libs for firefox/thunderbird

    urpmi libstdc++5
    or try
    cd /usr/lib/
    cp /rst/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.6 .
    ln -s libstdc++.so.5.0.6 libstdc++.so.5

    # Test install's Release and current installed plugins as the user ~browser

    click up a new terminal
    su - browser

    firefox
    Click Help tab top right
    Go to Help About Firefox and check Release version.

    # Now, check firefox can run installed flash and java plugins.

    http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/help/flash_test.htm # flash test
    Click button to roll dice

    To test java, Go to Help About Firefox and check Release
    http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

    or
    http://fallingsandgame.com/sand/NewSand.html # test java
    click ground, click/drag in window
    click seed, click around above ground to drop seed.
    click spout, click drag to add water

    exit firefox
    exit # to exit ~browser
    exit # to exit root
    exit # to close terminal

    #****************** end firefox-2.0.0.1_install.txt *************************

  4. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    Tim Fairchild wrote:

    > croaker wrote:
    >
    >> has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and tried to get
    >> it to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it up?

    > unzip it (tar xfvz) somewhere (it'll create a firefox directory) and make
    > a link to the firefox start script. Or cd to the directory and type
    > firefox.

    Also, if you find that it doesn't load, you might be missing one or more
    required libraries (most likely libstdc). Try starting it from a terminal
    & it will advise if any libraries are required. You can then install them
    via the Control Center or urpmi (you might have to search for what package
    the library is contained in - I'm fairly sure it's a Gnome one).

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  5. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    croaker wrote:

    > has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and tried to get it
    > to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it up?

    Assuming you have a fairly fast internet connection:

    Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions to configure
    your urpmi source for: 'main_backports'

    Once that's done, type: urpmi mozilla-firefox-2

    That's it.

  6. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > croaker wrote:
    >
    >> has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and
    >> tried to get it to run and failed, is there any instructions
    >> on how to set it up?

    > Assuming you have a fairly fast internet connection:
    >
    > Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions to
    > configure your urpmi source for: 'main_backports'
    >
    > Once that's done, type: urpmi mozilla-firefox-2
    >
    > That's it.

    He's right you know.
    Configure your sources and do it the easy way.

  7. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:36:36 +1000, Sea Eagle wrote:

    > Tim Fairchild wrote:
    >
    >> croaker wrote:
    >>
    >>> has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and tried to
    >>> get it to run and failed, is there any instructions on how to set it
    >>> up?

    >> unzip it (tar xfvz) somewhere (it'll create a firefox directory) and
    >> make a link to the firefox start script. Or cd to the directory and
    >> type firefox.
    >>

    > Also, if you find that it doesn't load, you might be missing one or more
    > required libraries (most likely libstdc). Try starting it from a
    > terminal & it will advise if any libraries are required. You can then
    > install them via the Control Center or urpmi (you might have to search
    > for what package the library is contained in - I'm fairly sure it's a
    > Gnome one).

    I've just installed FF2 and struck the error of libstdc++.so.5 not
    found. You may have this library in one of your lib directories -
    if so, make sure it is in /usr/lib If it isn't, make a simlink to that
    directory. Otherwise download it (i586) from rpmfind.net and
    install it again making sure it is in /usr/lib
    hth
    brianM

  8. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:54:05 GMT, BrianM wrote:

    > I've just installed FF2 and struck the error of libstdc++.so.5 not
    > found.

    urpmi libstdc++.so.5 should fix that problem.

  9. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:07:45 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:54:05 GMT, BrianM wrote:
    >>
    >> I've just installed FF2 and struck the error of libstdc++.so.5 not
    >> found.

    > urpmi libstdc++.so.5 should fix that problem.

    Opps, that should be

    urpmi libstdc++5

  10. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:07:45 +1000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:54:05 GMT, BrianM wrote:
    >>
    >> I've just installed FF2 and struck the error of libstdc++.so.5 not
    >> found.

    > urpmi libstdc++.so.5 should fix that problem.

    yes that is the quicker way to do it !

    brianM

  11. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    BrianM wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:07:45 +1000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:54:05 GMT, BrianM wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've just installed FF2 and struck the error of libstdc++.so.5 not
    >>> found.

    >> urpmi libstdc++.so.5 should fix that problem.

    > yes that is the quicker way to do it !

    FWIW The way I mentioned (in a previous post to this thread), installs
    Firefox-2 and because it's done with urpmi, it also installs all
    the dependencies.. Including the libraries. That's the quickest
    way to do it :-)

    Here's the way I did it again

    > Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions to
    > configure your urpmi source for: 'main_backports'
    >
    > Once that's done, type: urpmi mozilla-firefox-2
    >
    > That's it.

  12. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:07:21 +0000, Syd wrote:

    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >
    >> croaker wrote:
    >>
    >>> has anybody installed firefox 2.0.0.1, I downloaded it and
    >>> tried to get it to run and failed, is there any instructions
    >>> on how to set it up?

    >> Assuming you have a fairly fast internet connection:
    >>
    >> Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow the instructions to
    >> configure your urpmi source for: 'main_backports'
    >>
    >> Once that's done, type: urpmi mozilla-firefox-2
    >>
    >> That's it.

    > He's right you know.
    > Configure your sources and do it the easy way.

    thanks everybody for the help, as for source for some reason I seem to get
    mostly failed errors for all the sites I have tried for urpmi, and smart.

  13. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    Have you tried configuring your sources from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org ?

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  14. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:33:05 -0800, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:50:17 +0000, croaker wrote:
    >
    >> thanks everybody for the help, as for source for some reason I seem to get
    >> mostly failed errors for all the sites I have tried for urpmi, and smart.

    > Have you tried configuring your sources from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org ?

    yeah, I kept getting curl failures for some of the source, I just tried
    urpmi.update -a --wget and everything updated without a hitch.
    is there anyway to get smart to use wget?

  15. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:15:21 +0000, croaker wrote:

    >> Have you tried configuring your sources from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org ?
    >>

    > yeah, I kept getting curl failures for some of the source, I just tried
    > urpmi.update -a --wget and everything updated without a hitch. is there
    > anyway to get smart to use wget?

    Dunno, but have you tried selecting mirrors that use ftp rather than curl?
    I've had that problem and solved it by using ftp mirrors.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen

  16. Re: firefox 2.0.0.1

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:24:49 -0800, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > Dunno, but have you tried selecting mirrors that use ftp rather than curl?
    > I've had that problem and solved it by using ftp mirrors.

    I had to drop curl. Mirror I pick have number of connections limit.
    Using curl I would see ~15 connections. Changed to using wget and
    would see 2 maybe 3. All my failures faded right away.

+ Reply to Thread