Just installed 2007. Wow. - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Just installed 2007. Wow. - Mandrake ; My fourth Mandr* distro. I did the 2007 Free 4-disk version for i-586. I can't ever get one running in less than 24 hours (even with BitTwister and Aragorn's help) and this was no exception (except I haven't had to ...

  1. Just installed 2007. Wow.

    My fourth Mandr* distro. I did the 2007 Free 4-disk version for i-586.

    I can't ever get one running in less than 24 hours (even with BitTwister and
    Aragorn's help) and this was no exception (except I haven't had to bother
    them this time...yet), but wow. Look at all this cool stuff!

    It seems faster than 2006! Maybe that's just the way I allocated drives this
    time. I put / on it's own drive, and threw swap and /home on another.

    Not one single package or dependancy failed in install. Not one.

    Had a couple of problems. I had to dig up a PS-2 keyboard to get through
    install, but after that my M$ Natural KB works fine.

    It's not supermounting my CD or DVD (something about requiring HAL. I
    installed HAL) but command line is working for that.

    I don't know where my "shutdown" and "restart" options on the Log Out option
    on my KDE start menu went, but command line is working for that.

    One thing at a time. Frankly, I'm too busy playing with all the new stuff!
    Webcam support? Digi cam support? A really nice BUI ROM burner?

    I'm surprised it shipped with Firefox 1.5.

    So Pico is long gone, and now they ditched Nano. Emacs, of course, is the
    fallback. *sigh* And what did they do with Quanta editor? That was the best
    HTML editor I've seen for posix. Now if we can just get a GUI FTP client to
    match Filezilla....

    So get ready for this: I finally ditched the Window$ partition. I never used
    it once I got 2006 built, and this distro finally convinced me it was time
    to say goodbye and good riddance for_freaking_ever.

    I love it.

    -Trevor

  2. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:57:14 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    > My fourth Mandr* distro. I did the 2007 Free 4-disk version for i-586.

    --------------- standard FYI follows -----------------------------

    If you see Mandriva when you execute the command

    cat /etc/release

    Please, post your question in alt.os.linux.mandriva in the future.
    I am pretty sure you will find the same subject matter experts
    lurking there that you find here.

    That is also going to make it easier for you and other people to find
    answers to the same question when looking on
    and only have to search one Usenet group.

    If your Usenet server does not carry the mandriva news group you might
    contact them to have it added.

    > It's not supermounting my CD or DVD (something about requiring HAL. I
    > installed HAL) but command line is working for that.

    Hmmm, sounds like a package group problem. I always install all package
    groups except LSB. HAL workes too good with KDE. I had to get into KDE
    session manager for bittwister and disable all those services.

    > I don't know where my "shutdown" and "restart" options on the Log Out option
    > on my KDE start menu went, but command line is working for that.

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search should help you with that.
    I think the default HIGH msec setting hurts for your problem.

    > I'm surprised it shipped with Firefox 1.5.

    Yes, even doing the updates will not get you the current 2.0.x release.

    If you look at http://www.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2007.0
    you may notice several updates released since cd/dvds were manufactured
    and note a few kernel updates which you might want to pick up.

    ------ standard include for setting mirror and getting updates follow: -------

    When logged into your regular user account, click up a terminal and do a

    cat /etc/product.id and note the /version=/ and /arch=/ values

    then click up a browser and goto
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    set your version and architecture
    Click proceed to step 2

    Pick your main_update, contrib_update, main, contrib and plf mirrors.
    Click proceed to step 3

    Now in the terminal, do a
    su - root
    mcc
    in Software Management click
    Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system
    and disable any removable Medium selections
    Click OK and exit mcc

    now paste commands from step 3 in browser

    Now you can get all the security/bugfixes with
    urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    urpmi --wget urpmi --auto
    urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    That will bring you up to date except for any kernel updates.
    Procedure for that is save current settings/values, find your
    kernel name and update kernel with the following:

    ls -o /boot /boot/ls_boot_original
    cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf_original
    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_original
    rpm -qa 'kernel*' >> /etc/kernel_original

    cat /etc/kernel_original
    urpmi --wget --update kernel

    and provide selection number of kernel with a higher version number
    than yours.

    Now, your boot loader should have a new entry for the new kernel found
    at the bottom of your menu selection during boot. If no menu, hit Esc
    key for selection.

    Once you are logged in under the new kernel, you need to verify the
    boot loader default selection points to the new kernel.

    Your boot loader config files are /etc/lilo.conf for lilo and
    /boot/grub/menu.lst for the grub boot loader.

    You need to verify that the default selection points to the new kernel with
    ls -o /boot/*vmlinuz* /boot/*initrd*
    That will show you current /boot links.

    To see what lilo.conf would pick, do a
    head -20 /etc/lilo.conf | tail -6
    which might show something like

    image=/boot/vmlinuz <========
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hdb15
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img <========
    append="splash=0"
    vga=788

    The "<===" are the two lines to check.

    You either modify those lines in the config file to have the actual
    values or delete/create new links in /boot.

    If you use actual kernel values you may want to consider what to do
    with the linux-nonfb and failsafe stanzas.

    To change links,
    cd /boot
    rm vmlinuz initrd
    That removed the old links.

    Note the following are examples only. You have to supply the correct
    version file names based on your upgraded kernel value.

    ln -s vmlinuz-2.6.17-8mdv vmlinuz
    ln -s initrd-2.6.17-8mdv.img initrd.img

    Now check your links with
    ls -o /boot/*vmlinuz* /boot/*initrd*
    if blinking, you screwed up and need to delete/create them again.

    The links have to have the save version values.

    If you changed lilo.conf or links, you need to do a
    lilo -v
    to reinstall your boot loader in the MBR or wherever you are
    bootloading from.

    If using grub, you make the save types of

    exit to close root terminal login
    exit to close user terminal

    I check for updates every day with the
    urpmi --wget --auto-update --auto
    command.

    PS: Hope you are not on dial up. You may get a large number of package
    updates depending on number of packages installed.

  3. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Spheric wrote:
    > My fourth Mandr* distro. I did the 2007 Free 4-disk version for i-586.
    >
    > I can't ever get one running in less than 24 hours (even with BitTwister and
    > Aragorn's help) and this was no exception (except I haven't had to bother
    > them this time...yet), but wow. Look at all this cool stuff!
    >
    > It seems faster than 2006! Maybe that's just the way I allocated drives this
    > time. I put / on it's own drive, and threw swap and /home on another.
    >
    > Not one single package or dependancy failed in install. Not one.
    >
    > Had a couple of problems. I had to dig up a PS-2 keyboard to get through
    > install, but after that my M$ Natural KB works fine.
    >
    > It's not supermounting my CD or DVD (something about requiring HAL. I
    > installed HAL) but command line is working for that.
    >
    > I don't know where my "shutdown" and "restart" options on the Log Out option
    > on my KDE start menu went, but command line is working for that.
    >
    > One thing at a time. Frankly, I'm too busy playing with all the new stuff!
    > Webcam support? Digi cam support? A really nice BUI ROM burner?
    >
    > I'm surprised it shipped with Firefox 1.5.
    >
    > So Pico is long gone, and now they ditched Nano. Emacs, of course, is the
    > fallback. *sigh* And what did they do with Quanta editor? That was the best
    > HTML editor I've seen for posix. Now if we can just get a GUI FTP client to
    > match Filezilla....
    >
    > So get ready for this: I finally ditched the Window$ partition. I never used
    > it once I got 2006 built, and this distro finally convinced me it was time
    > to say goodbye and good riddance for_freaking_ever.
    >
    > I love it.
    >
    > -Trevor

    Trevor
    Quanta is now part of kdewebdev.

    Phil Jones

  4. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:57:14 -0700, Spheric writ:

    > And what did they do with Quanta editor?

    urpmi kdewebdev

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯`ˇ-> freemontŠ <-ˇ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯

  5. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On 2007-01-31, Spheric wrote:

    snip

    > I'm surprised it shipped with Firefox 1.5.

    There are some odd choices in the chosen packages.

    > So Pico is long gone, and now they ditched Nano. Emacs, of course, is the
    > fallback. *sigh*

    Pico is still part of the Pine email client - which is not 'GPL'. Take a
    look at Joe, which has an optional Pico-like 'emulation made'.

    Nano is still available as a Mandriva RPM; try urpmi nano if it isn't
    installed already.

    I'm sure you'll find Vi (or rather, Vim) is already installed.

    > And what did they do with Quanta editor? That was the best
    > HTML editor I've seen for posix.

    Quanta is part of the kdewebdev package.

    snip

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  6. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    Hi BT! I hope you are well. Once a Mandriva upgrade it's time to seek out my
    mentor.

    > cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_original

    The file I have is /boot/grub/menu.lst.example

    Kernal is kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv by the way. You already knew that.

  7. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Spheric writes:

    >My fourth Mandr* distro. I did the 2007 Free 4-disk version for i-586.

    >I can't ever get one running in less than 24 hours (even with BitTwister and
    >Aragorn's help) and this was no exception (except I haven't had to bother
    >them this time...yet), but wow. Look at all this cool stuff!

    >It seems faster than 2006! Maybe that's just the way I allocated drives this
    >time. I put / on it's own drive, and threw swap and /home on another.

    >Not one single package or dependancy failed in install. Not one.

    >Had a couple of problems. I had to dig up a PS-2 keyboard to get through
    >install, but after that my M$ Natural KB works fine.

    >It's not supermounting my CD or DVD (something about requiring HAL. I
    >installed HAL) but command line is working for that.

    >I don't know where my "shutdown" and "restart" options on the Log Out option
    >on my KDE start menu went, but command line is working for that.

    >One thing at a time. Frankly, I'm too busy playing with all the new stuff!
    >Webcam support? Digi cam support? A really nice BUI ROM burner?

    >I'm surprised it shipped with Firefox 1.5.

    >So Pico is long gone, and now they ditched Nano. Emacs, of course, is the
    >fallback. *sigh* And what did they do with Quanta editor? That was the best
    >HTML editor I've seen for posix. Now if we can just get a GUI FTP client to
    >match Filezilla....

    Pico is part of pine and the pine people and Mandriva people have disputes
    over licensing with each other. GO to plf.zarb.org to get pico

    nano is part of the contribs
    /mandrake/2007/i586/media/contrib/release/nano-1.3.11-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    so go to any mandriva mirror and get it from the contrib chain.

    >So get ready for this: I finally ditched the Window$ partition. I never used
    >it once I got 2006 built, and this distro finally convinced me it was time
    >to say goodbye and good riddance for_freaking_ever.

    >I love it.

    >-Trevor

  8. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Unruh wrote:

    > nano is part of the contribs
    > /mandrake/2007/i586/media/contrib/release/nano-1.3.11-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    > so go to any mandriva mirror and get it from the contrib chain.

    Much obliged

  9. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:58:03 +0100 (CET), Unruh wrote:

    > Pico is part of pine and the pine people and Mandriva people have disputes
    > over licensing with each other. GO to plf.zarb.org to get pico
    >
    > nano is part of the contribs
    > /mandrake/2007/i586/media/contrib/release/nano-1.3.11-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    > so go to any mandriva mirror and get it from the contrib chain.

    Vim is on any (all?) distro.

    Go on, you know you want to.

    --
    Linux: because I work with Windows, and that's bad enough.
    AOLM FAQ - http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html

  10. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:56:19 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Hi BT! I hope you are well. Once a Mandriva upgrade it's time to seek out my
    > mentor.
    >
    >> cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_original

    > The file I have is /boot/grub/menu.lst.example

    Hmmm, guessing you picked lilo as your default boot loader so menu.lst
    was not created.

    grub-install /dev/hda installs grub into the MBR.

    For menu.lst example, see below

    > Kernal is kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv by the way. You already knew that.

    Oh, no, you missed the kernel update step.

    $ uname -r
    2.6.17-8mdv

    ==================== starter menu.lst example ==========================

    kernel (hd1,14)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb15 splash
    ------ -----
    ^ ^
    | |
    `------------------------------'
    You have to solve for the above

    Watchout for line wraps

    $ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    timeout 5
    default 0

    title /2007
    kernel (hd1,14)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb15 splash=0 vga=788
    initrd (hd1,14)/boot/initrd.img

    title /2006oe
    kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-27mdk-i586-up-1GB root=/dev/hdb6 splash=0 vga
    =788
    initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.12-27mdk-i586-up-1GB.img

    title /suse
    kernel (hd1,13)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb14 showopts selinux=0 resume=/dev/hdb1
    splash=0 vga=0x31a
    initrd (hd1,13)/boot/initrd

    title /kubuntu
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic ro root=/dev/hdb10 vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic

    title /fedora
    kernel (hd1,12)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/fc5 vga
    =788
    initrd (hd1,12)/boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img

    title /ubuntu
    kernel (hd1,10)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 ro root=/dev/hdb11 vga=788
    initrd (hd1,10)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-386

  11. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-01-31, Spheric wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> I'm surprised it shipped with Firefox 1.5.

    > There are some odd choices in the chosen packages.

    In every distro. With a project of this magnitude, I don't discount some
    things having been simply overlooked.

    > I'm sure you'll find Vi (or rather, Vim) is already installed.

    Oh. Yeah. Riiiiiiiiiight

    > Quanta is part of the kdewebdev package.

    Ah. That installed nicely. Had to search around for Kompare, but it's still
    out there.

    Thanks

  12. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:56:19 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi BT! I hope you are well. Once a Mandriva upgrade it's time to seek out
    >> my mentor.
    >>
    >>> cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_original

    >> The file I have is /boot/grub/menu.lst.example

    > Hmmm, guessing you picked lilo as your default boot loader so menu.lst
    > was not created.

    Correct on lilo as boot loader.

    > grub-install /dev/hda installs grub into the MBR.

    Does this get rid of lilo?

    > For menu.lst example, see below
    >

    >> Kernal is kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv by the way. You already knew that.

    > Oh, no, you missed the kernel update step.

    I didn't miss it, I stopped where I was to gain your instruction when
    reality did not match your instruction. I am very, very nervous about
    kernel upgrade. <:O

    > $ uname -r
    > 2.6.17-8mdv
    >
    > ==================== starter menu.lst example ==========================
    >
    > kernel (hd1,14)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb15 splash
    > ------ -----
    > ^ ^
    > | |
    > `------------------------------'
    > You have to solve for the above
    >
    > Watchout for line wraps
    >
    > $ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > timeout 5
    > default 0
    >
    > title /2007
    > kernel (hd1,14)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb15 splash=0 vga=788
    > initrd (hd1,14)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title /2006oe
    > kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-27mdk-i586-up-1GB root=/dev/hdb6
    > splash=0 vga =788
    > initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.12-27mdk-i586-up-1GB.img
    >
    > title /suse
    > kernel (hd1,13)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb14 showopts selinux=0
    > resume=/dev/hdb1
    > splash=0 vga=0x31a
    > initrd (hd1,13)/boot/initrd
    >
    > title /kubuntu
    > kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic ro root=/dev/hdb10 vga=788
    > initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
    >
    > title /fedora
    > kernel (hd1,12)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro rhgb quiet
    > root=LABEL=/fc5 vga =788
    > initrd (hd1,12)/boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
    >
    > title /ubuntu
    > kernel (hd1,10)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 ro root=/dev/hdb11 vga=788
    > initrd (hd1,10)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-386

  13. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:19:37 -0700, Spheric wrote:

    > Correct on lilo as boot loader.
    >
    >> grub-install /dev/hda installs grub into the MBR.

    > Does this get rid of lilo?

    Yep, just disregard any grub stuff.

    Oh, yeah, for in the future.

    --------------- standard FYI follows -----------------------------

    If you see Mandriva when you execute the command

    cat /etc/release

    Please, post your question in alt.os.linux.mandriva in the future.
    I am pretty sure you will find the same subject matter experts
    lurking there that you find here.

    That is also going to make it easier for you and other people to find
    answers to the same question when looking on
    and only have to search one Usenet group.

    If your Usenet server does not carry the mandriva news group you might
    contact them to have it added.

  14. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Jan 31, 6:39 am, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:57:14 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    > > My fourth Mandr* distro. I did the 2007 Free 4-disk version for i-586.

    > When logged into your regular user account, click up a terminal and do a
    >
    > cat /etc/product.id and note the /version=/ and /arch=/ values

    I tryed it out of curiosity, but the result is the one below...

    [santo@localhost /]$ cat /etc/product.id
    cat: /etc/product.id: No such file or directory
    [santo@localhost /]$

    I am using 2006 PowerPack...

    santo

  15. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On 1 Feb 2007 04:00:52 -0800, Santo wrote:

    > I tryed it out of curiosity, but the result is the one below...
    >
    > [santo@localhost /]$ cat /etc/product.id
    > cat: /etc/product.id: No such file or directory
    > [santo@localhost /]$
    >

    > I am using 2006 PowerPack...

    Well, shuckey dern. the product.id file is new on 2007 release.
    I booted an old 2006 box and sure enough, no product.id.

    Thank you for the feedback. I modifed my text to have

    When logged into your regular user account, click up a terminal and do a

    cat /etc/product.id and note the /version=/ and /arch=/ values or
    cat /etc/release for version and arch.

    then click up a browser and goto
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    set your version and architecture
    Click proceed to step 2

  16. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:19:37 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    >>
    >> Correct on lilo as boot loader.
    >>
    >>> grub-install /dev/hda installs grub into the MBR.

    >> Does this get rid of lilo?

    > Yep, just disregard any grub stuff.
    >
    > Oh, yeah, for in the future.

    Thanks BT. I think I'm going to chicken out on the kernal upgrade, my
    experience is when I get a build stable, it's stable and I can live with
    minor issues. Besides, I can see how services are reorganized in Higher
    Security mode, and I think it's a good thing.

    Bottom line: I think you got me there brother. I think I can do this on my
    own now. You are a supreme dude. Should you ever need a web-enabled
    directory software, ours is called linkSpheric and it's up on SourceForge,
    our little way of returning love to the OS community.

    Translation: thank_you * 1000

  17. Re: Just installed 2007. Wow.

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:06:52 -0700, Spheric wrote:

    > Thanks BT. I think I'm going to chicken out on the kernal upgrade, my
    > experience is when I get a build stable, it's stable and I can live with
    > minor issues.

    Sorry you feel that way. Kernel updates are not issued lightly.
    http://www.mandriva.com/security/adv...MDKSA-2007:002

    I have a spare 6 gig partition where I boot cd 1 in rescue mode and
    tar the current install into the spare 6gig. Now I have a hot backup
    for when I think I have the possibility of dinking up the current
    install.

    Steps are to use mcc to create and format the partition.
    Format wipes out last backup. boot cd and

    mkdir /old
    mkdir /new
    mount -t auto /dev/hdWX /old # you solve for W and X
    mount -t auto /dev/hdYZ /new # you solve for Y and Z
    cd /old
    tar cfp - . | (cd /new && tar xpf -)
    umount /old /new

    If you dinkup your WX install. Format current install partition, boot cd

    mkdir /old
    mkdir /new
    mount -t auto /dev/hdYZ /old # you solve for Y and Z
    mount -t auto /dev/hdWX /new # you solve for W and X
    cd /old
    tar cfp - . | (cd /new && tar xpf -)

    chroot /new
    lilo -v