acpi problems - Mandrake

This is a discussion on acpi problems - Mandrake ; Hello all, I have a problem with acpi(d) on my new computer. It is a laptop and whenever I close the lid the computer freezes completely. I have looked in syslog, acpid log, but there is nothing there. I have ...

  1. acpi problems

    Hello all,
    I have a problem with acpi(d) on my new computer. It is a laptop and
    whenever I close the lid the computer freezes completely. I have
    looked in syslog, acpid log, but there is nothing there. I have also
    disabled all lines in the lid.sh that is supposed to be executed on
    lid down. I suppose there is some configuration that needs a bit of
    tweaking, but I do not know enough to even get started on this. So can
    someone advice me on how to start debugging this?
    Other acpi events works just fine though, pressing the power button,
    plugging in the ac, all gets executed and works like a charm, it is
    just lid down that hangs the computer.

    btw my laptop is a dell m1210

    regards
    Daniel

  2. Re: acpi problems

    Hello,

    If you still haven't done it, install Klaptop and configure it to only shut
    down the screenlight when you close the lid.
    You can also configure other ACPI functions from Klaptop.
    Searching in the MCC package manager to find specific Dell appz cna be
    helpful too.

    Ciao @+

    Daniel wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I have a problem with acpi(d) on my new computer. It is a laptop and
    > whenever I close the lid the computer freezes completely. I have
    > looked in syslog, acpid log, but there is nothing there. I have also
    > disabled all lines in the lid.sh that is supposed to be executed on
    > lid down. I suppose there is some configuration that needs a bit of
    > tweaking, but I do not know enough to even get started on this. So can
    > someone advice me on how to start debugging this?
    > Other acpi events works just fine though, pressing the power button,
    > plugging in the ac, all gets executed and works like a charm, it is
    > just lid down that hangs the computer.
    >
    > btw my laptop is a dell m1210
    >
    > regards
    > Daniel

  3. Re: acpi problems

    Hello,
    Thanks for you reply.
    I had klaptop installed, but had not configured anything using it (I'm
    usually using gnome). Anyway I opened it up and tried your advice. But
    nothing changed. The machine does not pick up the acpi event it seems
    (logs empty), or rather it seems some thing totally freezes as a
    result of this event (the kernel? acpid? )
    Any other information that could point me to the cause of this?
    I have read posts that hmm, debian works I think, so it seems it is a
    configuration issue, more than totally incompatible hardware..

    regards
    Daniel

    >Hello,
    >
    >If you still haven't done it, install Klaptop and configure it to only shut
    >down the screenlight when you close the lid.
    >You can also configure other ACPI functions from Klaptop.
    >Searching in the MCC package manager to find specific Dell appz cna be
    >helpful too.
    >
    >Ciao @+
    >

    >Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >> I have a problem with acpi(d) on my new computer. It is a laptop and
    >> whenever I close the lid the computer freezes completely. I have
    >> looked in syslog, acpid log, but there is nothing there. I have also
    >> disabled all lines in the lid.sh that is supposed to be executed on
    >> lid down. I suppose there is some configuration that needs a bit of
    >> tweaking, but I do not know enough to even get started on this. So can
    >> someone advice me on how to start debugging this?
    >> Other acpi events works just fine though, pressing the power button,
    >> plugging in the ac, all gets executed and works like a charm, it is
    >> just lid down that hangs the computer.
    >>
    >> btw my laptop is a dell m1210
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Daniel