[OT] ID3 tags - Mandrake

This is a discussion on [OT] ID3 tags - Mandrake ; Where can I find a simple yet copmrehensive reference/hoto for creating or editing ID3 tags in audio files? I use grip to rip my files, but I want to change the way it names the output files. However. I have ...

  1. [OT] ID3 tags

    Where can I find a simple yet copmrehensive reference/hoto
    for creating or editing ID3 tags in audio files?

    I use grip to rip my files, but I want to change the
    way it names the output files. However. I have searched, but
    cannot find a tutorial on editing the codes (i.e. %1-%2\%3).

    Specifically, my mp3 player only sees and sorts by the "Title" tag.
    So, I need to name the files 001_trk.mp3, 002_trk.mp3, etc.
    so that the "Title" tag will be written 001_trk, 002_trk, etc.

    Only then will the tracks of the audio books that I listen to
    be played back in the correct order.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  2. Re: [OT] ID3 tags

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Where can I find a simple yet copmrehensive reference/hoto
    > for creating or editing ID3 tags in audio files?
    >
    > I use grip to rip my files, but I want to change the
    > way it names the output files. However. I have searched, but
    > cannot find a tutorial on editing the codes (i.e. %1-%2\%3).
    >
    > Specifically, my mp3 player only sees and sorts by the "Title" tag.
    > So, I need to name the files 001_trk.mp3, 002_trk.mp3, etc.
    > so that the "Title" tag will be written 001_trk, 002_trk, etc.
    >
    > Only then will the tracks of the audio books that I listen to
    > be played back in the correct order.

    To edit the tags, use Easytag (available with Mandriva MCC, I use the
    plf version).
    There is a nice product for Windows: Mp3Tag.

    But you can rip and choose a format during the rip :
    - KAudioCreator (available with Mandriva MCC). I use as encoder OggEnc
    and I can choose the format of he tags.
    - the best product is free but only available with Windows . Look at
    http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ and http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/EAC/

    I hope this can help you.
    Robert

  3. Re: [OT] ID3 tags

    Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > I use grip to rip my files, but I want to change the
    > way it names the output files. However. I have searched, but
    > cannot find a tutorial on editing the codes (i.e. %1-%2\%3).

    Click the Help tab then Configuring Grip. In the Grip Help Browser, go to
    the bottom of the page and you'll see section 4.8 "Configuration (%)
    switches".

    --
    BackPacker

  4. Re: [OT] ID3 tags

    Robert.Spilleboudt wrote:
    > Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >> Where can I find a simple yet comprehensive reference/howto
    >> for creating or editing ID3 tags in audio files?
    >>
    >> I use grip to rip my files, but I want to change the
    >> way it names the output files. However. I have searched, but
    >> cannot find a tutorial on editing the codes (i.e. %1-%2\%3).
    >>
    >> Specifically, my mp3 player only sees and sorts by the "Title" tag.
    >> So, I need to name the files 001_trk.mp3, 002_trk.mp3, etc.
    >> so that the "Title" tag will be written 001_trk, 002_trk, etc.
    >>
    >> Only then will the tracks of the audio books that I listen to
    >> be played back in the correct order.
    >>

    > To edit the tags, use Easytag (available with Mandriva MCC, I use the
    > plf version).
    > There is a nice product for Windows: Mp3Tag.
    >
    > But you can rip and choose a format during the rip :
    > - KAudioCreator (available with Mandriva MCC). I use as encoder OggEnc
    > and I can choose the format of he tags.
    > - the best product is free but only available with Windows . Look at
    > http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ and http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/EAC/
    >
    > I hope this can help you.
    > Robert

    I've tried EasyTag... same problem.
    The EasyTag web site says that it will auto tag
    using the filename, but there is no explanation on how to do that.

    I have looked at KAudioCreator. I have the same issues with it.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  5. Re: [OT] ID3 tags

    eBackPacker wrote:
    > Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >

    >>I use grip to rip my files, but I want to change the
    >>way it names the output files. However. I have searched, but
    >>cannot find a tutorial on editing the codes (i.e. %1-%2\%3).

    > Click the Help tab then Configuring Grip. In the Grip Help Browser, go to
    > the bottom of the page and you'll see section 4.8 "Configuration (%)
    > switches".

    Yes, that helps, but it is far from complete.
    One (such as myself) starting from scratch
    cannot fully manipulate the codes from the
    information on that screen.
    For instance, therer is no mention that "/"
    placed in the string creates a directory
    (I stumbled across that tidbit elsewhere).

    Thanks though. Every little bit helps.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  6. Re: [OT] ID3 tags

    Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > therer is no mention that "/" placed in the string creates a directory

    It *specifies* a directory. If you specify a directory that doesn't exist,
    then grip might create it for you, but those formats in the Config section
    are specification strings. When you set one up you're telling grip where to
    place and how to name the .wav file that is ripped and the .mp3 or .ogg
    file that is encoded from the .wav file. In other words, you're defining a
    file path specification.

    As an example, look at grip's default setup (on the Config/Encode tab) for
    encoding a .wav file:

    ~/mp3/%A/%d/%t_%n.%x

    This says: "Create either a .ogg or a .mp3 file (the %x says "set the
    filename extension according to the file type that's produced by the
    encoding") whose name consists of the track number (%t) followed by the
    track name, e.g. "01_I_wish_I_could.mp3". And the bit before the %t_%n.%x
    says: "Store that file in a directory whose name is the name of the disc
    (%d), and which is in a directory whose name is the name of the artist
    (%A); and this directory in turn is in the mp3 subdirectory inside my home
    directory (~).

    So with that specification string, you could end up with a file whose full
    path was /home/lance/norah_jones/not_too_late/01_I_wish_I_could.mp3

    You probably know how grip fills in the names but in case you don't, it
    looks the CD up in the CD Database (cddb) if you happen to be connected to
    the Internet when you put the CD in the drive (or when you run grip,
    whichever happens last). If you're not online you need to tell grip the
    track names. You can do this by clicking the pencil icon (5th from left on
    the bottom row) then filling in the first 4 fields then clicking each track
    in turn and filling in the name in the 5th field. If you don't fill in this
    information, grip will use defaults for each of the %fields.

    --
    BackPacker

+ Reply to Thread