Hardware upgrade.... - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Hardware upgrade.... - Mandrake ; Hi. I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine. I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I really don't want to install everything once again : it took me ...

  1. Hardware upgrade....

    Hi.
    I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long to
    fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    Thanks ,

    Robbie.

  2. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    Robbie wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    > I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    > really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long to
    > fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    > Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    > Thanks ,
    >
    > Robbie.

    Not too much, Mandriva being the most ''flexible'' in that matter.
    Swapped motherboard, videocard from P700 to AMD2200 with no problem...

  3. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:09:02 GMT, Robbie wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    > I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    > really don't want to install everything once again :

    What's the worst that could happen, disk drive dies on powerup.
    Good backup will take of getting new drive up and running.

    > it took me so long to fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!

    No idea if 2006 has the same hardware detection software as 2007 on boot.
    I wonder if you would be wasting all that new horse power running the
    the kernel chosen for that old MB cpu.

    Guessing you are going to resist new release install for the same reasons.

    I put my changed in an admin diary file. New release comes out, I install
    in a new partition, mount the old install/partition, cut comands from
    admin diary, paste into new install root terminal. Piece of cake. Example:

    #******************************
    # disable ipv6 and zero conf
    #******************************

    echo NETWORKING_IPV6=no >> /etc/sysconfig/network
    echo NOZEROCONF=no >> /etc/sysconfig/network
    service avahi-daemon stop
    chkconfig --del avahi-daemon
    chkconfig avahi-daemon off
    service network restart

    # verify only 2 lines of route and no ip6 addy on eth0

    route -n
    ifcofnig eth0

    Once I am happy with new install, old install partition becomes next
    install test partition.

  4. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    <22Juh.8639$qN4.221124@twister1.libero.it>, Robbie wrote:

    >I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.

    Then why do you need to change? ;-) There is an old saying in
    English that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    >I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    >really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long
    >to fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    >Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?

    Have you looked at the HOWTOs?

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 23639 Aug 21 2000 Hard-Disk-Upgrade
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 808501 Jul 12 2005 Hardware-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 39240 May 3 2001 Install-Strategies
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 68456 Jul 8 2002 Installation-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 38676 Jun 12 2001 Post-Installation-Checklist
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 22488 Dec 4 2000 Pre-Installation-Checklist
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 24960 May 28 2002 Update
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 19504 Mar 10 2002 Upgrade

    The first question you have to answer is whether your hardware will be
    compatible. One major problem area would be the display - are you going to
    use the same video card? Will it put it's registers in the same place? Is
    the keyboard, mouse, and NIC going to be identical? You mention replacing
    only the motherboard and CPU - is the RAM going to be compatible? How about
    the power supply?

    Unless you are _EXTREMELY_ lucky, the boot manager will at the least have
    to be reinstalled. Even just moving the hard drive from one motherboard to
    another (one BIOS to another) usually results in the drive appearing to have
    different geometry.

    Perhaps a simple solution is consider buying a new system entirely. That
    way you won't be stuck with old parts which may not be compatible, and
    you can run the systems side-by-side until the new one is working to your
    satisfaction. Remember that in any case, you are going to have to replace
    the operating system in a year or two when Mandriva 2006 is no longer
    supported.

    Old guy

  5. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    "al" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:laLuh.55750$wQ6.738976@wagner.videotron.net.. .
    > Robbie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >> I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    >> I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    >> really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long
    >> fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    >> Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    >> Thanks ,
    >>
    >> Robbie.

    > Not too much, Mandriva being the most ''flexible'' in that matter.
    > Swapped motherboard, videocard from P700 to AMD2200 with no problem...

    Thanks al .

  6. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    "Bit Twister" ha scritto nel messaggio

    > I put my changed in an admin diary file. New release comes out, I install
    > in a new partition, mount the old install/partition, cut comands from
    > admin diary, paste into new install root terminal. Piece of cake. Example:
    >
    > #******************************
    > # disable ipv6 and zero conf
    > #******************************
    >
    > echo NETWORKING_IPV6=no >> /etc/sysconfig/network
    > echo NOZEROCONF=no >> /etc/sysconfig/network
    > service avahi-daemon stop
    > chkconfig --del avahi-daemon
    > chkconfig avahi-daemon off
    > service network restart
    >
    > # verify only 2 lines of route and no ip6 addy on eth0
    >
    > route -n
    > ifcofnig eth0
    >

    > Once I am happy with new install, old install partition becomes next
    > install test partition.

    That's a good idea.
    Thanks.

  7. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:09:02 +0000, Robbie wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    > I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    > really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long to
    > fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    > Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?

    Is your home on a seperate partition? If so I go the try it and if
    required reinstall but do *not* format the home partition.

  8. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    Robbie wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    > I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    > really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long to
    > fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    > Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    > Thanks ,

    I went from a P3 700 to and AMD 64 2800 in my last upgrade. I used a
    standard mandriva kernel and it booted straight up. I later compiled a new
    32 bit kernel. Later still I went to a 64 bit OS and kept the same /home
    partition.

    linux handles hardware upgrades quite well, tho it pays to just check
    chipset compatibility and so forth with your kernel...

    tim

  9. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    Robbie wrote:

    > "al" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:laLuh.55750$wQ6.738976@wagner.videotron.net.. .
    >> Robbie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi.
    >>> I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    >>> I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    >>> really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long
    >>> fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    >>> Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    >>> Thanks ,
    >>>
    >>> Robbie.

    >> Not too much, Mandriva being the most ''flexible'' in that matter.
    >> Swapped motherboard, videocard from P700 to AMD2200 with no problem...
    >>

    > Thanks al .

    Forgot to mention it was with Mandriva2006...

  10. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:09:02 +0000, Robbie wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    > I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    > really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long to
    > fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    > Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    > Thanks ,
    >
    > Robbie.

    There isn't anything that you are going to be able to move from your old
    system to a new system. The graphics card in your old box is AGP, the new
    system will need PCIe. The power supply isn't compatible, there was an
    extra 12V plug added in the P4 generation that's required by both A64 and
    Core2 motherboards, even if you power supply is compatible you don't want
    to risk the life of your brand new box on a 6 year old supply. The 965
    Core2 motherboards only have one IDE connector and that doesn't work with
    Linux kernels before 2.6.19. The 975 boards do have a few IDE
    connectors but they cost an extra $100, you can get a new 320G SATA drive
    for $94 so it doesn't make any sense to get a 975 board unless you need
    Crossfire which is really unlikely for a Linux user.

    The best course of action for you is to forget the word "upgrade" and just
    get a new system. After you've installed Linux on the new box you can
    rsync your /home directory over from the old box to the new box. The same
    goes for any /etc files that you may have modified. It's trivial to do
    this. You don't have to throw out the old system, you can repurpose it to
    a less demanding roll. I use an old PIII as an ssh gateway and another as
    a cvs server. You could use yours for a backup server, a router, or some
    other job.

  11. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:09:02 +0000, Robbie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >> I have Mandriva 2006 on an old P3 500 and everything works just fine.
    >> I'd like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with something better but I
    >> really don't want to install everything once again : it took me so long
    >> to fine tune the system to work nicely on that P3!
    >> Do you think there will be any problem with the OS ?
    >> Thanks ,
    >>
    >> Robbie.

    > There isn't anything that you are going to be able to move from your old
    > system to a new system. The graphics card in your old box is AGP, the new
    > system will need PCIe. The power supply isn't compatible, there was an
    > extra 12V plug added in the P4 generation that's required by both A64 and
    > Core2 motherboards, even if you power supply is compatible you don't want
    > to risk the life of your brand new box on a 6 year old supply. The 965
    > Core2 motherboards only have one IDE connector and that doesn't work with
    > Linux kernels before 2.6.19. The 975 boards do have a few IDE
    > connectors but they cost an extra $100, you can get a new 320G SATA drive
    > for $94 so it doesn't make any sense to get a 975 board unless you need
    > Crossfire which is really unlikely for a Linux user.
    >
    > The best course of action for you is to forget the word "upgrade" and just
    > get a new system. After you've installed Linux on the new box you can
    > rsync your /home directory over from the old box to the new box. The same
    > goes for any /etc files that you may have modified. It's trivial to do
    > this. You don't have to throw out the old system, you can repurpose it to
    > a less demanding roll. I use an old PIII as an ssh gateway and another as
    > a cvs server. You could use yours for a backup server, a router, or some
    > other job.

    Yes, but you can do an 'upgrade' by moving the current HDD to a new box full
    of goodies (and maybe an extra drive). That way you keep your setup.

    And it depends what you want. I just got my daughter a new machine, AMD 64
    3000, with AGP. It depends on how much power you want. The 3000 I got her
    was plenty of power and the parts cost about AU$400 total. (be more like
    $250 in the US).

  12. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    > Yes, but you can do an 'upgrade' by moving the current HDD to a new box full
    > of goodies (and maybe an extra drive). That way you keep your setup.
    >
    > And it depends what you want. I just got my daughter a new machine, AMD 64
    > 3000, with AGP. It depends on how much power you want. The 3000 I got her
    > was plenty of power and the parts cost about AU$400 total. (be more like
    > $250 in the US).

    It's hard to move the disk to a new Core2 system because of the lack of
    decent IDE support. You can move it to a new A64 system because the AMD
    motherboard still have some IDE support, at least I think they do. A new
    disk drive is awfully cheap, the Seagate 320G SATA drives are only $94 on
    NewEgg, so the simplest thing is to get a new SATA drive and an SATA DVD
    ROM (I'm using the LiteOn DVD ROM, $29 on ZipZoomFly) and avoid using IDE
    altogether. The OP was worried that he would lose all of his settings if
    he did a fresh install, that's why he wanted to use his old disk. But
    that's a bogus reason for moving a drive. You can accomplish the same
    thing by rsyncing your /home/xxx directory and the few /etc files that
    you've modified, probably no more than /etc/hosts, etc/ssh/ and maybe
    /etc/samba. The advantage of Linux is that nothing is hidden from you the
    way that it is in Windows. You don't need any special software to clone
    your Linux environment, rsync -r is all you need.

  13. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> Yes, but you can do an 'upgrade' by moving the current HDD to a new box
    >> full of goodies (and maybe an extra drive). That way you keep your setup.
    >>
    >> And it depends what you want. I just got my daughter a new machine, AMD
    >> 64 3000, with AGP. It depends on how much power you want. The 3000 I got
    >> her was plenty of power and the parts cost about AU$400 total. (be more
    >> like $250 in the US).

    > It's hard to move the disk to a new Core2 system because of the lack of
    > decent IDE support. You can move it to a new A64 system because the AMD
    > motherboard still have some IDE support, at least I think they do. A new
    > disk drive is awfully cheap, the Seagate 320G SATA drives are only $94 on
    > NewEgg, so the simplest thing is to get a new SATA drive and an SATA DVD
    > ROM (I'm using the LiteOn DVD ROM, $29 on ZipZoomFly) and avoid using IDE
    > altogether. The OP was worried that he would lose all of his settings if
    > he did a fresh install, that's why he wanted to use his old disk. But
    > that's a bogus reason for moving a drive. You can accomplish the same
    > thing by rsyncing your /home/xxx directory and the few /etc files that
    > you've modified, probably no more than /etc/hosts, etc/ssh/ and maybe
    > /etc/samba. The advantage of Linux is that nothing is hidden from you the
    > way that it is in Windows. You don't need any special software to clone
    > your Linux environment, rsync -r is all you need.

    For me it would be no issue. I'd happily just install a new mandriva 2007
    and use the same /home directory. All the important gui settings and mail
    and browser setting are there. The stuff in /etc isn't as big an issue.
    Easy to copy stuff across if you need it anyway. And the 'setup' is quick
    and easy anyway.

    But a HDD would shift across to a new AMD system I think, even an AM2 board.

    There are plenty of options, and no reason not to upgrade. I think they are
    using 2006 anyway, so time to upgrade to 2007

  14. Re: Hardware upgrade....

    Thank you all guys !!!

+ Reply to Thread