Mandriva 2007, en_US.UTF-8, and other gotchas - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2007, en_US.UTF-8, and other gotchas - Mandrake ; So I installed Mandriva 2007 on a system and man, what a pain this UTF-8 stuff is! My last machines were Mandriva 2006 and their locale was just "en_US". No muss, no fuss. Mandriva 2007 defaults to en_US.UTF-8 and that ...

  1. Mandriva 2007, en_US.UTF-8, and other gotchas

    So I installed Mandriva 2007 on a system and man, what a pain this
    UTF-8 stuff is! My last machines were Mandriva 2006 and their locale
    was just "en_US". No muss, no fuss. Mandriva 2007 defaults to
    en_US.UTF-8 and that makes all sorts of software unhappy.

    rxvt for instance, triggers a warning that it can't show UTF-8
    characters. Not normally a problem for me since I work entirely in
    English, but for instance in "sensors", from lm_sensors, the "o" degree
    symbol in UTF-8 is not the same as the degree symbol in en_US.
    Consequently instead of showing (using here lower case "oh" for the
    degree symbol):

    47.7oC (en_US decimal 176)

    it shows

    47.7AoC (en_US.UTF-8 decimal 302 260, as shown by "od -c")

    where "A" is actually the A with a "^" over it. Xterm shows just the
    "o" since it's UTF-8 aware. Blech.

    Many of my own text based tools are having conniptions in this
    environment, throwing odd results when they encounter the UTF-8
    characters. (Single characters becoming multiple characters
    does quite a number on column alignments.)

    Nedit also has big problems on Mandriva 2007, which is really
    unfortunate since it's far and away my favorite editor. In addition to
    its own UTF-8 issues (it doesn't do UTF-8) there's a graphics problem
    that keeps it from even running. The solution for the latter googled
    out to be putting:

    XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS

    One step forward in multiple language support, about three steps
    backwards in terms of broken software packages.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: Mandriva 2007, en_US.UTF-8, and other gotchas

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:29:17 -0800, David Mathog wrote:
    > So I installed Mandriva 2007 on a system and man, what a pain this
    > UTF-8 stuff is! My last machines were Mandriva 2006 and their locale
    > was just "en_US". No muss, no fuss. Mandriva 2007 defaults to
    > en_US.UTF-8 and that makes all sorts of software unhappy.

    Yes, some growing pains there. I tried fighing it, but gave in and
    accepted that it is in the future so get used to it.

    > Many of my own text based tools are having conniptions in this
    > environment,

    Yes and modifying UTF-8 files with non complient tools can lead to
    other problems so I quite fighting it.

    > Nedit also has big problems on Mandriva 2007, which is really
    > unfortunate since it's far and away my favorite editor.

    Yes one off of install cd was poor. After setting main_update, contrib_update,
    main, contrib, plf free/nonfree mirrors and all updates and kernel updates, my
    nedit problems went way down.

    > In addition to
    > its own UTF-8 issues (it doesn't do UTF-8) there's a graphics problem
    > that keeps it from even running. The solution for the latter googled
    > out to be putting:

    That update fixed my problem.

    > XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
    > export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS
    >
    > One step forward in multiple language support, about three steps
    > backwards in terms of broken software packages.

    Yep, Test crews love those fixed delivery dates.

    Hopefully the 2007.1 Spring release will be a little more solid.

  3. Re: Mandriva 2007, en_US.UTF-8, and other gotchas

    David Mathog wrote:
    > So I installed Mandriva 2007 on a system and man, what a pain this
    > UTF-8 stuff is! My last machines were Mandriva 2006 and their locale
    > was just "en_US". No muss, no fuss. Mandriva 2007 defaults to
    > en_US.UTF-8 and that makes all sorts of software unhappy.

    I got this very valuable advice from another user here and it alleviated
    my headaches with some older and not-so-compatible programs. Try
    inserting this before the executable in command path: LC_ALL=en_US

    --

    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx?view=detail

    If you want to sign up go here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/secure/signup.aspx?refID=2454535

    RLU #407952

  4. Re: Mandriva 2007, en_US.UTF-8, and other gotchas

    RaMRod wrote:
    > I got this very valuable advice from another user here and it alleviated
    > my headaches with some older and not-so-compatible programs. Try
    > inserting this before the executable in command path: LC_ALL=en_US

    That was indeed valuable.

    I put that in .bashrc and now rxvt starts without any warnings.
    It didn't seem to help any for nedit though, which still does:

    nedit: the current locale is utf8 (en_US.UTF-8)
    nedit: changed locale to non-utf8 (en_US)

    apparently nedit looks at one of the many other LC_ symbols
    and doesn't check LC_ALL.

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread