kernel and xsane - Mandrake

This is a discussion on kernel and xsane - Mandrake ; Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006 system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices. As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something ...

  1. kernel and xsane

    Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

  2. Re: kernel and xsane

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    > system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    > may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    > As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    > 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    Is your scanner USB-based? Are you plugging it into a USB2 controller? If so
    take a look at the following 2007 errata

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/Releases/Ma...rs_not_working

  3. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:16:57 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    > system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    > may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    > As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    > 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    I have a box with a epson scanner with the same kernel, so I think it may
    be something else, that box is running 2006...you might want to reinstall
    the scanner after your up and running and see if it finds it then...

    --
    gone in less than one second---------->>>>>>>>>>>>
    jjim..........registered linux user 281836

  4. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:30:27 -0600, jjim wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:16:57 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    >> system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    >> may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    >> As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    >> 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    > I have a box with a epson scanner with the same kernel, so I think it may
    > be something else, that box is running 2006...you might want to reinstall
    > the scanner after your up and running and see if it finds it then...

    I guess my advice is useless if you have a HP scanner I just read the
    bugreport on it....sorry.

    --
    gone in less than one second---------->>>>>>>>>>>>
    jjim..........registered linux user 281836

  5. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:30:27 -0600, jjim wrote:
    > 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.
    >
    > I have a box with a epson scanner with the same kernel, so I think it may
    > be something else, that box is running 2006...you might want to reinstall
    > the scanner after your up and running and see if it finds it then...

    Mine is the scanner in an Epson CX6400. works fine with kernel 2.6.12 ...
    Nothing so far suggests other than that something needs to be switched on
    during the config process that is currently turned off. But what?

  6. Re: kernel and xsane

    Alan Secker writes:

    > Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    > system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    > may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    > As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    > 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    My guess (and it is just that) would be udev. At around those kernel
    revisions, udev was changing quite a lot (in fact you old
    configuration might not have used it at all).

    --
    Ben.

  7. Re: kernel and xsane

    Simon J. Rowe wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    >> system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    >> may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    >> As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    >> 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    > Is your scanner USB-based? Are you plugging it into a USB2 controller? If
    > so take a look at the following 2007 errata

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/Releases/Ma...rs_not_working

    Just a FYI, this errata only applies to UHCI based machines, USB1.x Intel or
    Via chipsets, starting with kernel 2.6.16 and later. Mandriva looks like
    it is going to implement the kernel patch in comment #11 in bug report
    26728. This will allow the module to operate normally, but if you have a
    HP5300C or 5370C you will have to add "options uhci-hcd rapid_enum=y", no
    quotes, into /etc/modprobe.conf to get your scanner working. If everything
    goes okay this should make everyone happy ;-)

  8. Re: kernel and xsane

    Simon J. Rowe wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    >> system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    >> may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    >> As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    >> 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    > Is your scanner USB-based? Are you plugging it into a USB2 controller? If
    > so take a look at the following 2007 errata

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/Releases/Ma...rs_not_working

    Just a FYI, this errata only applies to UHCI based machines, USB1.x Intel or
    Via chipsets, starting with kernel 2.6.16 and later. Mandriva looks like
    it is going to implement the kernel patch in comment #11 in bug report
    26728. This will allow the module to operate normally, but if you have a
    HP5300C or 5370C you will have to add "options uhci-hcd rapid_enum=y", no
    quotes, into /etc/modprobe.conf to get your scanner working. If everything
    goes okay this should make everyone happy ;-)

  9. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:25:21 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > Alan Secker writes:
    >
    >> Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    >> system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    >> may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    >> As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    >> 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    > My guess (and it is just that) would be udev. At around those kernel
    > revisions, udev was changing quite a lot (in fact you old
    > configuration might not have used it at all).

    I have just reinstalled the Epson CX6400 scanner and tested xsane, first
    under kernel 2.6.14-0.mm.7mdkcustom. xsane could not find the scanner.
    I rebooted to kernel 2.6.12-12mm.1mdkcustom. xsane came up effortlessly.

    Which leaves me to wonder from which kernel level did Mandriva first start
    to employ udev? Even if it is the cause of the problem, I would have
    expected a broade range of users to have raised their miiserable voices.

  10. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:25:01 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:25:21 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker writes:
    >>
    >>> Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    >>> system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    >>> may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    >>> As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    >>> 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    >> My guess (and it is just that) would be udev. At around those kernel
    >> revisions, udev was changing quite a lot (in fact you old
    >> configuration might not have used it at all).

    > I have just reinstalled the Epson CX6400 scanner and tested xsane, first
    > under kernel 2.6.14-0.mm.7mdkcustom. xsane could not find the scanner.
    > I rebooted to kernel 2.6.12-12mm.1mdkcustom. xsane came up effortlessly.
    >
    > Which leaves me to wonder from which kernel level did Mandriva first start
    > to employ udev? Even if it is the cause of the problem, I would have
    > expected a broade range of users to have raised their miiserable voices.

    As you've changed kernels, did you consider the possibility that you need
    to recompile the driver for that kernel, just like Nvidia, or ATI drivers?
    Epson has both RPM and source drivers available, but the RPM is compiled
    against the stock 2006 kernel. Go to;

    http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_spc.html

    and d/l

    iscan-2.4.0-0.c2.tar.gz

    if you have gcc 3.4 or later, or

    iscan-2.4.0-0.tar.gz

    for gcc 3.2/3.3.

    Look at the bright side, I've had a CX5800F for 10 months, and Epson has
    not issued scanner drivers for it, yet. Their site says they will be
    issued, check back in a couple of days. That message was on the site when
    I bought the unit last March.

    You have at least gotten to use your scanner, and with a recompile for
    your new kernel, will probably be able to again, as soon as you're done.
    Me? I'm not holding my breath.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  11. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:46:01 -0600, imotgm wrote:

    > Look at the bright side, I've had a CX5800F for 10 months, and Epson has
    > not issued scanner drivers for it, yet. Their site says they will be
    > issued, check back in a couple of days. That message was on the site when
    > I bought the unit last March.

    Oh dear, Epson has gone down a notch or two in my buying preference list.

  12. Re: kernel and xsane

    Alan Secker writes:

    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:25:21 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker writes:
    >>
    >>> Yesterday I compiled and installed a 'new' kernel to my Mandriva 2006
    >>> system. The kernel is kernel-multimedia-2.6.14-0.mm.7mdk. Although this
    >>> may solve a problem, it has preented another. xsane cannot find devices.
    >>> As it is fine under 2.6.12, I assume something is switched off in the
    >>> 'new' kernel but what. Any advice would be welcome.

    >> My guess (and it is just that) would be udev. At around those kernel
    >> revisions, udev was changing quite a lot (in fact you old
    >> configuration might not have used it at all).

    > I have just reinstalled the Epson CX6400 scanner and tested xsane, first
    > under kernel 2.6.14-0.mm.7mdkcustom. xsane could not find the scanner.
    > I rebooted to kernel 2.6.12-12mm.1mdkcustom. xsane came up effortlessly.
    >
    > Which leaves me to wonder from which kernel level did Mandriva first start
    > to employ udev? Even if it is the cause of the problem, I would have
    > expected a broade range of users to have raised their miiserable voices.

    I remember a lot of problem reported at the devfs/udev switchover, but
    I think it may have happened earlier than I thought. Anyway, you can
    check if that sort of thing is the problem. Does the same set of
    modules get loaded when the scanner is plugged in under the two
    kernels? Does the same device node appear in /dev in both cases? Any
    change to the dmesg output between versions?

    --
    Ben.

  13. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:06:38 -0600, Blue wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:46:01 -0600, imotgm wrote:
    >
    >> Look at the bright side, I've had a CX5800F for 10 months, and Epson has
    >> not issued scanner drivers for it, yet. Their site says they will be
    >> issued, check back in a couple of days. That message was on the site when
    >> I bought the unit last March.

    > Oh dear, Epson has gone down a notch or two in my buying preference list.

    Mine too. When they finally issued printer drivers, after six months,
    every driver, for every distro, was for a version that was so old it was
    already deemed "end of life" and without support. None of the drivers
    worked with any currently supported distro version. When I finally
    contacted them, which was a chore and a half to begin with, I had to tell
    them what versions were current for each distro. They didn't know. On the
    bright side, it only took them two days to release new drivers for the
    then current versions. No new drivers have been issued since, and none
    that are directly compiled for the now current versions.

    Under Mandrake, you get the choice of 10.1, 2006, or other. If you have
    2007, and choose other, you get the 10.1 driver, which doesn't work at
    all. The 2006 seems to be usable, it installs, but I haven't actually used
    it yet. SUSE gets the choice of 9.2, or 10.1, leaving 9.3, 10.0 and the
    10.2 versions not directly supported. Again if you choose other, you get
    the 9.2 version, that's totally out of date, and was born dead. I couldn't
    get either to work with 9.3, or 10.0, so had to upgrade to 10.1, just to
    have a printer. No idea if it works for 10.2. Still no scanner for any of
    them.

    Their Red Hat printer driver was for Red Hat 9. How dead is that puppy?
    They finally issued a driver for FC2 when FC5 was already aging, with FC6
    in beta. Really, I bought the CX5800F, because I liked the features, the
    price was right, and everyone said Epson offered "excellent" support for
    Linux. My direct experience has been Epson Linux support sucks, big time,
    and they don't have a clue. They may have given an effort long enough to
    get that "excellent" rating, but seem to have quit trying, right after.

    The last time I tried to contact them at their official contact page, I
    got a 404 not on this server response.
    Care to give odds on when my next Epson purchase will be?

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

  14. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:46:01 -0600, imotgm wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:25:01 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    >>> My guess (and it is just that) would be udev. At around those kernel
    >>> revisions, udev was changing quite a lot (in fact you old
    >>> configuration might not have used it at all).

    >> I have just reinstalled the Epson CX6400 scanner and tested xsane, first
    >> under kernel 2.6.14-0.mm.7mdkcustom. xsane could not find the scanner.
    >> I rebooted to kernel 2.6.12-12mm.1mdkcustom. xsane came up effortlessly.
    >>
    >> Which leaves me to wonder from which kernel level did Mandriva first start
    >> to employ udev? Even if it is the cause of the problem, I would have
    >> expected a broade range of users to have raised their miiserable voices.

    > As you've changed kernels, did you consider the possibility that you need
    > to recompile the driver for that kernel, just like Nvidia, or ATI drivers?
    > Epson has both RPM and source drivers available, but the RPM is compiled
    > against the stock 2006 kernel. Go to;
    >
    > http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_spc.html
    >
    > and d/l
    >
    > iscan-2.4.0-0.c2.tar.gz
    >
    > if you have gcc 3.4 or later, or
    >
    > iscan-2.4.0-0.tar.gz
    >
    > for gcc 3.2/3.3.
    >
    > Look at the bright side, I've had a CX5800F for 10 months, and Epson has
    > not issued scanner drivers for it, yet. Their site says they will be
    > issued, check back in a couple of days. That message was on the site when
    > I bought the unit last March.
    >
    > You have at least gotten to use your scanner, and with a recompile for
    > your new kernel, will probably be able to again, as soon as you're done.
    > Me? I'm not holding my breath.

    Oh! Oh! Comparing loaded modules under both kernels didn't throw much
    light. I can list the differences but for the moment, I decided your
    suggestion about reinstalling might be more fruitful. I downloaded
    iscan-2.4.0 and attempted ./configure. That threw up a dependency
    requiring imlibgdk. After fruitlessly searching, I found a suggstion that
    GTK+2.0 might resolve it. I assumed the caps were accidental. 'packages'
    didn't show it, so I searched and found gtk+2.0-2.8.3-4mdk.i586.rpm. If I
    urpmi that, the cursor just sits there!

  15. Re: kernel and xsane

    Alan Secker writes:

    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:46:01 -0600, imotgm wrote:

    >>> I have just reinstalled the Epson CX6400 scanner and tested xsane, first
    >>> under kernel 2.6.14-0.mm.7mdkcustom. xsane could not find the scanner.
    >>> I rebooted to kernel 2.6.12-12mm.1mdkcustom. xsane came up effortlessly.
    >>>
    >>> Which leaves me to wonder from which kernel level did Mandriva first start
    >>> to employ udev? Even if it is the cause of the problem, I would have
    >>> expected a broade range of users to have raised their miiserable voices.

    >> As you've changed kernels, did you consider the possibility that you need
    >> to recompile the driver for that kernel, just like Nvidia, or ATI drivers?
    >> Epson has both RPM and source drivers available, but the RPM is compiled
    >> against the stock 2006 kernel. Go to;
    >>
    >> http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_spc.html
    >>
    >> and d/l
    >>
    >> iscan-2.4.0-0.c2.tar.gz
    >>
    >> if you have gcc 3.4 or later, or
    >>
    >> iscan-2.4.0-0.tar.gz
    >>
    >> for gcc 3.2/3.3.
    >>
    >> Look at the bright side, I've had a CX5800F for 10 months, and Epson has
    >> not issued scanner drivers for it, yet. Their site says they will be
    >> issued, check back in a couple of days. That message was on the site when
    >> I bought the unit last March.
    >>
    >> You have at least gotten to use your scanner, and with a recompile for
    >> your new kernel, will probably be able to again, as soon as you're done.
    >> Me? I'm not holding my breath.

    > Oh! Oh! Comparing loaded modules under both kernels didn't throw much
    > light. I can list the differences but for the moment, I decided your
    > suggestion about reinstalling might be more fruitful. I downloaded
    > iscan-2.4.0 and attempted ./configure. That threw up a dependency
    > requiring imlibgdk. After fruitlessly searching, I found a suggstion that
    > GTK+2.0 might resolve it. I assumed the caps were accidental. 'packages'
    > didn't show it, so I searched and found gtk+2.0-2.8.3-4mdk.i586.rpm. If I
    > urpmi that, the cursor just sits there!

    Don't use URPMI with long names like that.
    That may not be the version on the mirror.
    If you wanted the above, just use the "gtk+2.0" part.

    You've doubtless already got that installed.
    What you probably need is some -devel package.

    The way to find out is first:

    urpmf imlibgdk

    Ah yes, what you need is "libimlib1-devel".

  16. Re: kernel and xsane

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:44:50 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

    > Don't use URPMI with long names like that.
    > That may not be the version on the mirror.
    > If you wanted the above, just use the "gtk+2.0" part.
    >
    > You've doubtless already got that installed.
    > What you probably need is some -devel package.
    >
    > The way to find out is first:
    >
    > urpmf imlibgdk
    >
    > Ah yes, what you need is "libimlib1-devel".

    Thanks, that go it compiled and installed but now ....

    [alan@alans iscan-2.4.0]$ iscan
    iscan: error while loading shared libraries: libesmod.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [alan@alans iscan-2.4.0]$

+ Reply to Thread