urpmi - exclude/select media class? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on urpmi - exclude/select media class? - Mandrake ; If I want to run urpmi and exclude any remote media, then I have to use --excludemedia one,two,three,etc. This is a real pain to type so many media names. Isn't (couldn't) there any way to exclude (or select) a media ...

  1. urpmi - exclude/select media class?

    If I want to run urpmi and exclude any remote media, then I
    have to use --excludemedia one,two,three,etc. This is a real
    pain to type so many media names. Isn't (couldn't) there any
    way to exclude (or select) a media class? If so, then I could
    tell urpmi that I only want to search on "removable" media, for
    instance. Am I dreaming? Is there a way to do this?

    Thanks...

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: urpmi - exclude/select media class?

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > If I want to run urpmi and exclude any remote media, then I
    > have to use --excludemedia one,two,three,etc. This is a real
    > pain to type so many media names. Isn't (couldn't) there any
    > way to exclude (or select) a media class? If so, then I could
    > tell urpmi that I only want to search on "removable" media, for
    > instance. Am I dreaming? Is there a way to do this?
    >
    > Thanks...

    Just wondering - are you using the Control Center at all? In Mandriva 2007
    the media manager looks at the sources nearest the top of the list first,
    which are any local or removable sources. If the same rpm is on a local &
    remote source, it will install from the one nearest the top of the list,
    which should be the local one.

    From the MCC help file:

    Up and Down arrows

    "These buttons allow changing the order in which sources will be used when
    installing packages. By default, the newest version of a given package will
    always be installed, but if the same version is found on two different
    media, the one from the first medium in the list will be installed."

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  3. Re: urpmi - exclude/select media class?

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > If I want to run urpmi and exclude any remote media, then I
    > have to use --excludemedia one,two,three,etc. This is a real
    > pain to type so many media names. Isn't (couldn't) there any
    > way to exclude (or select) a media class? If so, then I could
    > tell urpmi that I only want to search on "removable" media, for
    > instance. Am I dreaming? Is there a way to do this?

    What happens if you give a short name that partially matches
    all of the names you want? "urpmi.update local" will update
    local_official, local_contrib, etc.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.