Problems with backup - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Problems with backup - Mandrake ; I have an external hard disk (usb), and I would like to use it for backup. To make a backup of all the files of the home directories, I wrote, as root: cp -Rfpuv * /mnt/removable/home I would like to ...

  1. Problems with backup

    I have an external hard disk (usb), and I would like to use it for backup.
    To make a backup of all the files of the home directories, I wrote, as root:

    cp -Rfpuv * /mnt/removable/home

    I would like to avoid questions of the kind "Overwrite file so-and-so", and
    also copy only new files: hence the options "f" and "u". With "p" I
    preserve the attributes, "R" is recursive copy, and "v" is because I'm
    paranoid and I'd like to see what's going on.

    But the shell asks me often if I really want to overwrite a file. I cannot
    understand it, also because I log as root.

    Can you please tell me where is the mistake (I'm sure there is one or
    more...).

    Thanks!

    --
    Guido Milanese
    Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy

  2. Re: Problems with backup

    On 2007-01-22, Guido Milanese wrote:
    > I have an external hard disk (usb), and I would like to use it for backup.
    > To make a backup of all the files of the home directories, I wrote, as root:
    >
    > cp -Rfpuv * /mnt/removable/home
    >
    > I would like to avoid questions of the kind "Overwrite file so-and-so", and
    > also copy only new files: hence the options "f" and "u". With "p" I
    > preserve the attributes, "R" is recursive copy, and "v" is because I'm
    > paranoid and I'd like to see what's going on.
    >
    > But the shell asks me often if I really want to overwrite a file. I cannot
    > understand it, also because I log as root.
    >
    > Can you please tell me where is the mistake (I'm sure there is one or
    > more...).

    First, you might try the -a option, because that combines
    the meaning of -dpR. If you're willing to live dangerously,
    the -f option may get rid of the questions.

    Another approach might be to use rsync.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Problems with backup

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:52:43 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Another approach might be to use rsync.

    My thoughts exactly. grsync is a GUI front end.

  4. Re: Problems with backup

    On 2007-01-23, Blue wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:52:43 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Another approach might be to use rsync.

    > My thoughts exactly. grsync is a GUI front end.

    So it is! Looks interesting; thanks for mentioning it.

    Has anyone used the Mandriva backup thing in the MCC?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Problems with backup

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-01-23, Blue wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:52:43 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another approach might be to use rsync.

    >> My thoughts exactly. grsync is a GUI front end.

    > So it is! Looks interesting; thanks for mentioning it.
    >
    > Has anyone used the Mandriva backup thing in the MCC?

    No, but I use KDar, which is a GUI frontend for the dar utility. Very easy
    to use and it appears to work well.

    Rob.

  6. Re: Problems with backup

    Rob wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> My thoughts exactly. grsync is a GUI front end.

    >> So it is! Looks interesting; thanks for mentioning it.
    >>
    >> Has anyone used the Mandriva backup thing in the MCC?
    >>

    > No, but I use KDar, which is a GUI frontend for the dar utility. Very easy
    > to use and it appears to work well.
    >
    > Rob.

    Kdar is not an option with mandriva 2007. I use dar with a script.
    Robert

  7. Re: Problems with backup

    > Has anyone used the Mandriva backup thing in the MCC?

    I use drakbackup everyday (drakxtools-10.4.81-2.2mdv2007.0)

  8. Re: Problems with backup

    On 2007-01-23, geo cherchetout
    wrote:

    >> Has anyone used the Mandriva backup thing in the MCC?

    > I use drakbackup everyday (drakxtools-10.4.81-2.2mdv2007.0)

    What form is the backup in? (Single .tar.bz, straight copy of each file,
    or what?).

    I like to be able to copy files from one machine to another so that they
    'just work' on the new machine. I've been using rsync to put the backup
    copies onto a USB drive which I can then use on a 'standby machine' to get
    working again from where I left off. A friendly GUI would be more
    attractive - hence my interest in grsync mentioned up-thread.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  9. Re: Problems with backup

    On 2007-01-23, Robert.Spilleboudt wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> So it is! Looks interesting; thanks for mentioning it.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone used the Mandriva backup thing in the MCC?
    >>>

    >> No, but I use KDar, which is a GUI frontend for the dar utility. Very easy
    >> to use and it appears to work well.
    >>
    >> Rob.

    > Kdar is not an option with mandriva 2007. I use dar with a script.
    > Robert

    I seem to have both dar and Kdar listed in my urpmi sources:

    $ sudo urpmi kdar
    Some requested packages cannot be installed:
    kdar-2.0.6-3mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libdar.so.3)
    Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) n
    [mark@tavy ~]$ sudo urpmi dar
    To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
    dar-2.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586
    libdar3-2.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586
    Proceed with the installation of the 2 packages? (10 MB) (Y/n) n
    $

    I'm guessing that libdar.so.3 is included in the libdar3 RPM; I don't know
    why urpmi can't find that for Kdar but can for dar.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  10. Re: Problems with backup

    Whiskers wrote:

    > What form is the backup in? (Single .tar.bz, straight copy of each file,
    > or what?).

    Each backup instance is a *.tar.gz or *.tar.bz2, whichever you choose in
    setup.

    --

    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx?view=detail

    RLU #407952

  11. Re: Problems with backup

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-01-23, Robert.Spilleboudt wrote:
    >> Rob wrote:

    >>> No, but I use KDar, which is a GUI frontend for the dar utility. Very easy
    >>> to use and it appears to work well.
    >>>
    >>> Rob.

    >> Kdar is not an option with mandriva 2007. I use dar with a script.
    >> Robert

    > I seem to have both dar and Kdar listed in my urpmi sources:
    >
    > $ sudo urpmi kdar
    > Some requested packages cannot be installed:
    > kdar-2.0.6-3mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libdar.so.3)
    > Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) n
    > [mark@tavy ~]$ sudo urpmi dar
    > To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
    > dar-2.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586
    > libdar3-2.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586
    > Proceed with the installation of the 2 packages? (10 MB) (Y/n) n
    > $
    >
    > I'm guessing that libdar.so.3 is included in the libdar3 RPM; I don't know
    > why urpmi can't find that for Kdar but can for dar.

    This is the bug:
    kdar was last built in December 2005. At that point dar was still providing
    libdar.so.3 and that's what kdar requires. However, since then, dar has been
    updated and now provides libdar.so.4. This is the situation in 2007.0,
    so kdar
    cannot be installed:
    ( from http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/co...1/msg02396.php )
    The dar package of mandriva 2007 is more uptodate than the kdar.

    Robert

  12. Re: Problems with backup

    Many thanks for the kind answers. A lot of suggestions indeed. I am studying
    rsync and it's probably just what I needed, since I do not like to have
    a 'zipped' backup.

    Best regards,
    guido, from Genoa, italy

    --
    Guido Milanese
    Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy
    http://www.arsantiqua.org

  13. Re: Problems with backup

    On 2007-01-23, RaMRod wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> What form is the backup in? (Single .tar.bz, straight copy of each file,
    >> or what?).

    > Each backup instance is a *.tar.gz or *.tar.bz2, whichever you choose in
    > setup.

    Thanks. As I suspected, not quite what I'm looking for.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  14. Re: Problems with backup

    On 2007-01-24, Robert.Spilleboudt wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> Kdar is not an option with mandriva 2007. I use dar with a script.
    >>> Robert

    >> I seem to have both dar and Kdar listed in my urpmi sources:
    >>
    >> $ sudo urpmi kdar
    >> Some requested packages cannot be installed:
    >> kdar-2.0.6-3mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libdar.so.3)
    >> Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) n
    >> [mark@tavy ~]$ sudo urpmi dar
    >> To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
    >> dar-2.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586
    >> libdar3-2.3.1-2mdv2007.0.i586
    >> Proceed with the installation of the 2 packages? (10 MB) (Y/n) n
    >> $
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that libdar.so.3 is included in the libdar3 RPM; I don't know
    >> why urpmi can't find that for Kdar but can for dar.
    >>

    > This is the bug:
    > kdar was last built in December 2005. At that point dar was still providing
    > libdar.so.3 and that's what kdar requires. However, since then, dar has been
    > updated and now provides libdar.so.4. This is the situation in 2007.0,
    > so kdar
    > cannot be installed:
    > ( from http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/co...1/msg02396.php )
    > The dar package of mandriva 2007 is more uptodate than the kdar.
    >
    > Robert

    Ooops (

    --
    -- Whiskers