blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html - Mandrake

This is a discussion on blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html - Mandrake ; Until the other night /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html rendered correctly, in that I could see something other than a blank white screen. Now I see only white. If I move the mouse around, then I can discover links. This is on Mandriva 2007 ...

  1. blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

    Until the other night /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html rendered
    correctly, in that I could see something other than a blank
    white screen. Now I see only white. If I move the mouse around,
    then I can discover links. This is on Mandriva 2007 with Firefox
    1.5.0.9. All other pages seem to work fine. Clearing out the
    cache, and everything that Firefox offers to be cleared, does not
    help. Can you help?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.mandriva.]
    On 22 Jan 2007 16:00:18 GMT, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Until the other night /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html rendered
    > correctly, in that I could see something other than a blank
    > white screen. Now I see only white. If I move the mouse around,
    > then I can discover links.

    Guessing you have java* turned off in Firefox's Edit->Preferences
    Content or your java (jre) not/incorrectly installed.

    Click up a terminal and do a
    locate libjavaplugin_oji

    There should be a link from a plugins directory to your java
    install or from your firefox plugins directory.

    See
    $ locate libjavaplugin_oji
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    $ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Dec 31 16:54
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
    /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    For me to use /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory on my custom firefox
    install I created
    /etc/profile.d/xx_local.sh with

    #********************************************
    # set global firefox/mozilla plugin directory
    #********************************************

    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    if [ "$HOME" ]; then
    export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:$HOME/.mozilla/plugins
    fi

    and did a
    chmod +x /etc/profile.d/xx_local.sh

    Next login, firefox uses plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

    My instructions for the lastest jre install

    #********* start jre-6-linux-i586_install.txt ***************

    # Download from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    cd /accounts/downloads

    chmod +x jre-6-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    ../jre-6-linux-i586-rpm.bin

    or if already executed the bin

    urpmi /accounts/downloads/jre-6-linux-i586.rpm
    cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    /bin/rm -f libjavaplugin_oji.so

    ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    ls -al

    chkconfig jexec off

    #*********** end jre-6-linux-i586_install.txt *******************

  3. Re: blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

    On 2007-01-22, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Until the other night /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html rendered
    > correctly, in that I could see something other than a blank
    > white screen. Now I see only white. If I move the mouse around,
    > then I can discover links. This is on Mandriva 2007 with Firefox
    > 1.5.0.9. All other pages seem to work fine. Clearing out the
    > cache, and everything that Firefox offers to be cleared, does not
    > help. Can you help?
    >
    > Thanks....

    Same problem with Opera - but switching to 'user mode' overcomes the
    problem.

    Referring it to the w3.org validator gets "The uploaded document
    "index.html" was checked and found to be valid XHTML 1.0 Strict" so it
    /should/ display properly in any modern browser, shouldn't it?

    Enabling 'javascript' has the curious effect of displaying

    instead.

    That is probably a result of the line in the page source that says

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.mandriva.]
    > On 22 Jan 2007 16:00:18 GMT, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > >
    > > Until the other night /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html rendered
    > > correctly, in that I could see something other than a blank
    > > white screen. Now I see only white. If I move the mouse around,
    > > then I can discover links.

    > Guessing you have java* turned off in Firefox's Edit->Preferences
    > Content or your java (jre) not/incorrectly installed.

    java (and everything else) is turned on and used to be correctly
    installed because it used to work. But, I routinely do system
    updates, as in 'urpmi --update ...' Maybe that broke something?
    I'll check the plugins and other things you mention. Thanks!

    > Click up a terminal and do a
    > locate libjavaplugin_oji
    >
    > There should be a link from a plugins directory to your java
    > install or from your firefox plugins directory.
    >
    > See
    > $ locate libjavaplugin_oji
    > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >
    > $ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Dec 31 16:54
    > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
    > /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >
    > For me to use /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory on my custom firefox
    > install I created
    > /etc/profile.d/xx_local.sh with
    >
    > #********************************************
    > # set global firefox/mozilla plugin directory
    > #********************************************
    >
    > export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    > if [ "$HOME" ]; then
    > export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:$HOME/.mozilla/plugins
    > fi
    >
    > and did a
    > chmod +x /etc/profile.d/xx_local.sh
    >
    > Next login, firefox uses plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    >

    > My instructions for the lastest jre install
    >
    > #********* start jre-6-linux-i586_install.txt ***************
    >
    > # Download from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    >
    > cd /accounts/downloads
    >
    > chmod +x jre-6-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    > ./jre-6-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    >
    > or if already executed the bin
    >
    > urpmi /accounts/downloads/jre-6-linux-i586.rpm
    > cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    > /bin/rm -f libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >
    > ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    > ls -al
    >

    > chkconfig jexec off
    >
    > #*********** end jre-6-linux-i586_install.txt *******************

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  5. Re: blank page: /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Until the other night /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html rendered
    > correctly, in that I could see something other than a blank
    > white screen. Now I see only white. If I move the mouse around,
    > then I can discover links. This is on Mandriva 2007 with Firefox
    > 1.5.0.9. All other pages seem to work fine. Clearing out the
    > cache, and everything that Firefox offers to be cleared, does not
    > help. Can you help?

    The issue was that I wasn't allowing for non-originating websites to
    display images. I made an exception for mandriva.com and now all is
    well again.

    Cheers....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.