Flashplayer 9 Final Released - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Flashplayer 9 Final Released - Mandrake ; Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB download. http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

  1. Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB download.

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

  2. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:27:45 -0700, Klaatu wrote:

    > Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB download.
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash


    Thank you.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

  3. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On 2007-01-18, imotgm wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:27:45 -0700, Klaatu wrote:
    >
    >> Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB download.
    >>
    >> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

    >
    > Thank you.


    Ditto!

    At least for me, one of the best things about this version
    is the removal of the audit provision from the EULA.

    Now, the concern is what to do to prevent heavy CPU use and
    bandwidth hogging by sites/pages that have several flash
    items on the same page. Is there a way (maybe a Firefox
    extension) to control the Flash player? Ideally, I'd like
    to leave it disabled most of the time and only enable it
    when for specific stuff I want to see. Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  4. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:30:23 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > Now, the concern is what to do to prevent heavy CPU use and
    > bandwidth hogging by sites/pages that have several flash
    > items on the same page. Is there a way (maybe a Firefox
    > extension) to control the Flash player? Ideally, I'd like
    > to leave it disabled most of the time and only enable it
    > when for specific stuff I want to see. Any suggestions?


    I surf with java* and popups disabled.

  5. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On 2007-01-18, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:30:23 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> Now, the concern is what to do to prevent heavy CPU use and
    >> bandwidth hogging by sites/pages that have several flash
    >> items on the same page. Is there a way (maybe a Firefox
    >> extension) to control the Flash player? Ideally, I'd like
    >> to leave it disabled most of the time and only enable it
    >> when for specific stuff I want to see. Any suggestions?

    >
    > I surf with java* and popups disabled.


    As do I, mostly. What I'm hoping for is a way to enable the
    Flash player just for specific things without having to quit
    Firefox, install the plugin symlink, start Firefox, then
    quit Firefox, remove the plugin symlink, start Firefox
    again, etc.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  6. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:04:49 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > As do I, mostly. What I'm hoping for is a way to enable the
    > Flash player just for specific things without having to quit
    > Firefox, install the plugin symlink, start Firefox, then
    > quit Firefox, remove the plugin symlink, start Firefox
    > again, etc.


    Flashblock?
    http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

    --
    Linux: because I work with Windows, and that's bad enough.
    AOLM FAQ - http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
    RLU #300033 - MDV 2006 - WindowMaker 0.92.0

  7. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On 2007-01-18, Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:04:49 GMT, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> As do I, mostly. What I'm hoping for is a way to enable the
    >> Flash player just for specific things without having to quit
    >> Firefox, install the plugin symlink, start Firefox, then
    >> quit Firefox, remove the plugin symlink, start Firefox
    >> again, etc.

    >
    > Flashblock?
    > http://flashblock.mozdev.org/


    That looks like the ticket. Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  8. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On 2007-01-18, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-01-18, imotgm wrote:
    >> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:27:45 -0700, Klaatu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB download.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >
    > Ditto!
    >
    > At least for me, one of the best things about this version
    > is the removal of the audit provision from the EULA.
    >
    > Now, the concern is what to do to prevent heavy CPU use and
    > bandwidth hogging by sites/pages that have several flash
    > items on the same page. Is there a way (maybe a Firefox
    > extension) to control the Flash player? Ideally, I'd like
    > to leave it disabled most of the time and only enable it
    > when for specific stuff I want to see. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.


    Opera has that functionality built in.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    Klaatu wrote:
    > Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB download.
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash


    Still crashes my browser, FireFox2.0 when browsing
    http://cartoonnetwork.com anyone else have this problem. The kids
    hate it!

    --
    MicroSoft's NEW Motto: "Good enough." When you're on top, that's the
    only standard that matters.

  10. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On January 18, 2007 07:30 pm, David wrote:

    > Klaatu wrote:
    >> Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB
    >> download.
    >>
    >>

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
    >
    > Still crashes my browser, FireFox2.0 when browsing
    > http://cartoonnetwork.com anyone else have this problem. The kids
    > hate it!
    >

    Seems to work OK here. I did have to temporarily allow javascript for this
    site. I have to admit I didn't do much but play a little bit of the first
    game "My Best Friend's A Monkey". Another 5 minutes and they'd be coming to
    take me away.

    --
    Cliff

  11. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Now, the concern is what to do to prevent heavy CPU use and
    > bandwidth hogging by sites/pages that have several flash
    > items on the same page. Is there a way (maybe a Firefox
    > extension) to control the Flash player? Ideally, I'd like
    > to leave it disabled most of the time and only enable it
    > when for specific stuff I want to see. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >


    You could try the adblock extension *; it can disable flash as well. I
    use proxy auto-configuration file to filter all sorts of garbage from
    web sites.** If you want to provide an example of one of those annoying
    sites you visit I'd tell you if that works there too. You'd be surprised
    how "lean" web pages look in my browser.

    * https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/
    ** http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/
    --


    Some customized and hard to find rpms here:
    http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p1029971.aspx

    RLU #407952

  12. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    Cliff wrote:
    > On January 18, 2007 07:30 pm, David wrote:
    >
    >> Klaatu wrote:
    >>> Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB
    >>> download.
    >>>
    >>>

    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
    >> Still crashes my browser, FireFox2.0 when browsing
    >> http://cartoonnetwork.com anyone else have this problem. The kids
    >> hate it!
    >>

    > Seems to work OK here. I did have to temporarily allow javascript for this
    > site. I have to admit I didn't do much but play a little bit of the first
    > game "My Best Friend's A Monkey". Another 5 minutes and they'd be coming to
    > take me away.
    >


    Thanks for taking a look at it, but it crashes whichever browser I
    attempt to open it in. Again thanks for looking.


    --
    MicroSoft's NEW Motto: "Good enough." When you're on top, that's the
    only standard that matters.

  13. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    David wrote:
    > Cliff wrote:
    >> On January 18, 2007 07:30 pm, David wrote:
    >>
    >>> Klaatu wrote:
    >>>> Flashplayer 9 final for Linux released, version 9.0.31 about 2.5MB
    >>>> download.
    >>>>
    >>>>

    >> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
    >>
    >>> Still crashes my browser, FireFox2.0 when browsing
    >>> http://cartoonnetwork.com anyone else have this problem. The kids
    >>> hate it!
    >>>

    >> Seems to work OK here. I did have to temporarily allow javascript for
    >> this
    >> site. I have to admit I didn't do much but play a little bit of the first
    >> game "My Best Friend's A Monkey". Another 5 minutes and they'd be
    >> coming to
    >> take me away.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for taking a look at it, but it crashes whichever browser I
    > attempt to open it in. Again thanks for looking.


    Had the same problem until I changed the color depth in xorg.conf from
    16 bit to 24 bit.

    Good luck.

    Kinney

  14. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released

    On 2007-01-20, RaMRod wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> Now, the concern is what to do to prevent heavy CPU use and
    >> bandwidth hogging by sites/pages that have several flash
    >> items on the same page. Is there a way (maybe a Firefox
    >> extension) to control the Flash player? Ideally, I'd like
    >> to leave it disabled most of the time and only enable it
    >> when for specific stuff I want to see. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >
    > You could try the adblock extension *; it can disable flash as well. I
    > use proxy auto-configuration file to filter all sorts of garbage from
    > web sites.** If you want to provide an example of one of those annoying
    > sites you visit I'd tell you if that works there too. You'd be surprised
    > how "lean" web pages look in my browser.
    >
    > * https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/
    > ** http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/


    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try flashblock
    first for simplicity's sake. I'll keep your suggestion in
    mind if it becomes necessary.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  15. Re: Flashplayer 9 Final Released


    >>>

    >>
    >> Thanks for taking a look at it, but it crashes whichever browser I
    >> attempt to open it in. Again thanks for looking.

    >
    > Had the same problem until I changed the color depth in xorg.conf from
    > 16 bit to 24 bit.


    It is set to 24 bit - still closes the browser though.




    --
    MicroSoft's NEW Motto: "Good enough." When you're on top, that's the
    only standard that matters.

+ Reply to Thread