How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ? - Mandrake ; I have got an AVM Fritz!Box 5140. At the moment I am using a T-com DSL Box. But I would like to switch to the AVM modem to use Internet telephone. How woul I connect my PC to internet. With ...

  1. How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ?

    I have got an AVM Fritz!Box 5140. At the moment I am using a T-com DSL Box.
    But I would like to switch to the AVM modem to use Internet telephone.
    How woul I connect my PC to internet. With the T-com DSLmodem i did it over
    pppoe.

    Any hint is appreciated.

    Walter

  2. Re: How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ?

    Walter Kasberg wrote:

    > I have got an AVM Fritz!Box 5140. At the moment I am using a
    > T-com DSL Box. But I would like to switch to the AVM modem to
    > use Internet telephone. How woul I connect my PC to internet.
    > With the T-com DSLmodem i did it over pppoe.
    >
    > Any hint is appreciated.

    Suggest you ask in a VOIP newsgroup. If in the uk then
    uk.telecom.voip is the place to go, otherwise just search the
    list of newsgroups.

    HTH
    Syd

  3. Re: How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ?

    On 2007-01-17, Walter Kasberg wrote:
    > I have got an AVM Fritz!Box 5140. At the moment I am using a T-com DSL Box.
    > But I would like to switch to the AVM modem to use Internet telephone.
    > How woul I connect my PC to internet. With the T-com DSLmodem i did it over
    > pppoe.
    >
    > Any hint is appreciated.
    >
    > Walter

    The "FRITZ!Box Fon 5140 fr DSL" seems to be a conventional combined "DSL
    modem" and router, with four ethernet sockets, and also with some sort of
    telephone service provision
    . My German (or to be
    honest, that of the Babel Fish) is not good enough to work out more than
    that.

    I suggest that you look on your ISP's web site for instructions as to
    what settings are required to get an internet connection working. The
    "FRITZ!Box" should have instructions of its own for /how/ you enter those
    settings.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ?

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-01-17, Walter Kasberg wrote:
    >> I have got an AVM Fritz!Box 5140. At the moment I am using a T-com DSL
    >> Box. But I would like to switch to the AVM modem to use Internet
    >> telephone. How woul I connect my PC to internet. With the T-com DSLmodem
    >> i did it over pppoe.
    >>
    >> Any hint is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Walter

    > The "FRITZ!Box Fon 5140 für DSL" seems to be a conventional combined "DSL
    > modem" and router, with four ethernet sockets, and also with some sort of
    > telephone service provision
    > . My German (or to be
    > honest, that of the Babel Fish) is not good enough to work out more than
    > that.
    >
    > I suggest that you look on your ISP's web site for instructions as to
    > what settings are required to get an internet connection working. The
    > "FRITZ!Box" should have instructions of its own for /how/ you enter those
    > settings.

    Internet is now working. The FRitz!BOX is set up and working as DSL-Router.
    After I took away the pppoe I had the internet-connecton. My PC gets the IP
    by dhcp. But there is still a problem: my system gets the name "noname" and
    is no longer 'localhost' as written in /etc/hosts. And this a problem for
    VMware because the virtual guest machines are looking for 'localhost'.
    Where could I settle this, the Fritz!Box seems to have no point to change
    this.

    Walter

  5. Re: How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ?

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:56:01 +0100, Walter Kasberg wrote:

    > But there is still a problem: my system gets the name "noname" and
    > is no longer 'localhost' as written in /etc/hosts. And this a problem for
    > VMware because the virtual guest machines are looking for 'localhost'.
    > Where could I settle this,

    Add a line to the nic (eth0, eth1,...) configuration file that is
    connected to the DSL-Router.

    Be sure to add a carriage return after the line. The line is
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no

    Location in the config file does not matter, example:

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
    DEVICE=eth1
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=no
    RESOLV_MODS=yes
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no <==========
    PEERDNS=yes
    PEERYP=no
    PEERNTPD=no
    LINK_DETECTION_DELAY=7

    Now restart your network with the command

    service network restart

  6. Re: How do I connect internet(DSL) to AVM Fritz!Box 5140 ?

    On 2007-01-18, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:56:01 +0100, Walter Kasberg wrote:
    >
    >> But there is still a problem: my system gets the name "noname" and
    >> is no longer 'localhost' as written in /etc/hosts. And this a problem for
    >> VMware because the virtual guest machines are looking for 'localhost'.
    >> Where could I settle this,

    > Add a line to the nic (eth0, eth1,...) configuration file that is
    > connected to the DSL-Router.
    >
    > Be sure to add a carriage return after the line. The line is
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    >
    > Location in the config file does not matter, example:
    >
    > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
    > DEVICE=eth1
    > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > METRIC=10
    > MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    > USERCTL=no
    > RESOLV_MODS=yes
    > IPV6INIT=no
    > IPV6TO4INIT=no
    > DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no <==========
    > PEERDNS=yes
    > PEERYP=no
    > PEERNTPD=no
    > LINK_DETECTION_DELAY=7
    >

    > Now restart your network with the command
    >
    > service network restart

    Or the Mandriva GUI method: 'Configure your computer - Network and
    Internet - Alter miscellaneous internet settings' and enter a suitable
    'hostname' in the appropriate box. (A suitable hostname would be
    something along the lines of mycomputer.mynetwork.invalid).

    Then 'Network and Internet - Reconfigure a network interface' find the NIC
    in the drop-down list of 'Devices' then go to the DHCP tab and unselect
    the option 'Assign hostname from DHCP address' and click on 'Apply'.

    You should reboot, or at least re-start your X server with
    Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, to avoid possible clashes with changed in the
    hostname.

    Now take a look at your /etc/hosts file. Mine contains just this one line:

    127.0.0.1 tavy.mobile.private tavy localhost

    'tavy.mobile.private' being the 'hostname' I have given this machine.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread