Can't install Mandriva 2006 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Can't install Mandriva 2006 - Mandrake ; I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM, 3-160GB SATA HD, Lite-on DVD/RW and CD/RW drives on P-ATA bus). I ...

  1. Can't install Mandriva 2006

    I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,
    3-160GB SATA HD, Lite-on DVD/RW and CD/RW drives on P-ATA bus). I have
    been unable to get either version to install. My system will boot
    from either cd or dvd, but once the bootloader starts, it can't find
    the optical drives to continue. I get a message "disabling irq 223"
    and into a loop it goes, never finding an optical drive. Watching the
    kernel messages fly by the screen, it looks like it is unable to mount
    the optical drives. I tried booting my system from a boot floppy and
    using the command "ide=nodma" as suggested on one of the
    linux forums to no avail.

    I admit to being a linux "noob", and quite unfamiliar with command
    line syntax. I'm trying to come up on the linux learning curve and
    thought this distro would be a good one to start with, but now I'm
    starting to wonder...

  2. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:26:41 -0500, Mikey wrote:

    > I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    > install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,

    Try downloading the the newer 2007 version. It's like ly to have better
    support for your newer hardware.

  3. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:26:41 -0500, Mikey wrote:

    > I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    > install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,
    > 3-160GB SATA HD, Lite-on DVD/RW and CD/RW drives on P-ATA bus). I have

    I'd get 2007, but you should be able to install 2006 by adding the
    kernel paramaters "acpi=off noapic".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    I did that already, the free x86_64 version due to my newer chip,
    along with the x86 mini version, thinking like you did...same result.
    I'm confused... :-(

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:39:59 GMT, Wes Newell
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:26:41 -0500, Mikey wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    >> install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,

    >Try downloading the the newer 2007 version. It's like ly to have better
    >support for your newer hardware.

  5. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    Thanks, I'll try that and let you know...

    I did d/l the 2007 free x86_64 version and got the same result though.

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:28:45 -0500, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:26:41 -0500, Mikey wrote:
    >

    >> I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    >> install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,
    >> 3-160GB SATA HD, Lite-on DVD/RW and CD/RW drives on P-ATA bus). I have

    >I'd get 2007, but you should be able to install 2006 by adding the
    >kernel paramaters "acpi=off noapic".
    >
    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    I tried the "no apic" option. I just got different error messages like
    this:

    <6> ide-cd: cmd 0x25 timed out
    <4> hda: lost interrupt
    <3> irq #7: nobody cared
    hdb: cdrom_pc_intr: the drive appears confused ireason=0x01

    I got it to start once... and I'm not sure exactly why, because it
    wouldn't do it again...booted with the "Installation APIC OFF"
    option, and it froze on the license agreement. the mouse worked but
    no response from anything else. had to do a hard reset.

    any other suggestions??

    thx!!

    mikey

    wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:26:41 -0500, Mikey wrote:
    >

    >> I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    >> install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,
    >> 3-160GB SATA HD, Lite-on DVD/RW and CD/RW drives on P-ATA bus). I have

    >I'd get 2007, but you should be able to install 2006 by adding the
    >kernel paramaters "acpi=off noapic".
    >
    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    Hello Mikey!

    14 Jan 07 20:26, Mikey wrote to All:

    M> I purchased Mandriva 2006 x32 and x64 versions on cd and dvd to
    M> install on my new system (Asus P5W DH, Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM,
    M> 3-160GB SATA HD, Lite-on DVD/RW and CD/RW drives on P-ATA bus). I have
    M> been unable to get either version to install. My system will boot
    M> from either cd or dvd, but once the bootloader starts, it can't find
    M> the optical drives to continue. I get a message "disabling irq 223"
    M> and into a loop it goes, never finding an optical drive. Watching the
    M> kernel messages fly by the screen, it looks like it is unable to mount
    M> the optical drives. I tried booting my system from a boot floppy and
    M> using the command "ide=nodma" as suggested on one of the
    M> linux forums to no avail.

    I'm also running the P5W DH (Deluxe) mobo with 2 sata HDD, 1 IDE 60gb
    Barracuda HDD and a DVD writer.

    I have the DVD and IDE on the PRI_IDE connector using a 80 wire cable.
    Sata are connected to sata1 & sata3.

    Also only using 2007 mandriva builds and both i586 and x86-64 on different
    partitions.

    Strongly suggest you use the 2007 builds also make sure you grap all six CD's
    for each (i586 and x64) or DVD's with all six cd's on.

    Go into the BIOS having made sure that its revision is 140n or better yet the
    1707 (but this is not necessary for install). [Can't remember what mine was
    pre bios update si the n = 5 - 9].

    If you have changed bios setting, reset bios to default and reboot and go into
    bios settings again.

    in MAIN menu: check that all ide / sata are seen correctly.
    go to IDE configuration and set 'configure SATAs As' to AHCI. [Note that
    this works great for Linux but NOT for Win XP] (Have not resolved this yet).

    If you have connected the IDE drives to the PRI_IDE connector as above then go
    to Bios menus: Advanced, Onboard config' and disable the JMicron controller.
    Also disable the 1394 and second LAN if not needed. Leave HD Audio to enabled
    as this seems to work in 2007.

    In PCI PnP set to No if not already.

    In Top menu 'Power', then APM config ensure power button mode is on/off.
    If you run a UPS set restore on AC Loss to 'last state' (If this does not
    restore on after power recovery with your ups then set to Power On).

    Check in Boot menus that both device priority and disk drive show your HDDs
    [not under Disk Drives: DVD/CD drive, floppy (if you have one)].

    Under Boot settings set if not already: quick boot Enable and Full screen
    disable.

    Now press F10 to save, exit and reboot. At this point load up your 2007 DVD
    or CD 1.

    You should now be able to install. At the end of install don't select the
    option that offers to get updates. It just adds a stack of stuff you may well
    not need or want so do all this later.

    Also after it has installed all your requested Linux components make sure you
    go into the configure various services such as Graphic card, Monitor, Network
    card etc. Go through this prior to finishing the install to check that its all
    set up. The ones I've listed above may well not be.

    Vince.

  8. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    Hello Mikey!

    14 Jan 07 20:26, Mikey wrote to All:

    Part two If you wish to install Windows (XP)

    You will need to build a floppy containing the device drivers for the Intel
    ICH7R (82801GR) controller chip. It is on the mobo CD or go to the Intel web
    site and get the latest. Regardless build a floppy using the supplied software
    and when installing Win XP you must press F6 when requested and supply the
    floopy also when requested.

    For more info on this go to the www.asus.com website and look in the forums
    using the search engine for mobos, P5W HD, AHCI questions.

    Vince

  9. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    Hi Vince!!

    Thanks for the lowdown on my mb. I'll d/l the latest BIOS and try
    that stuff and let you know.

    btw, I tried installing XP on my system using the RAID drivers from
    the mb CD and it wouldn't recognize the hd controller... it told me I
    had no hd's installed. maybe related to the AHCI option; I didn't try
    that. I'll have to check that forum you mentioned and see what other
    goodies I can learn about this mb.

    Thanks again for the info!!!!!!

    Mikey

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:14:15, "Vince Coen"
    wrote:

> [...]
    >
    >Check in Boot menus that both device priority and disk drive show your HDDs
    >[not under Disk Drives: DVD/CD drive, floppy (if you have one)].
    >
    >Under Boot settings set if not already: quick boot Enable and Full screen
    >disable.
    >
    >Now press F10 to save, exit and reboot. At this point load up your 2007 DVD
    >or CD 1.
    >
    >You should now be able to install. At the end of install don't select the
    >option that offers to get updates. It just adds a stack of stuff you may well
    >not need or want so do all this later.
    >
    >Also after it has installed all your requested Linux components make sure you
    >go into the configure various services such as Graphic card, Monitor, Network
    >card etc. Go through this prior to finishing the install to check that its all
    >set up. The ones I've listed above may well not be.

  10. Re: Can't install Mandriva 2006

    Hey Vince!

    Success installing Mandriva 2007!! Failure getting Win XP to run
    after changing the SATA settings to AHCI :-( Even with the most
    up-to-date drivers, XP setup tells me that I have no hard drives
    installed as long as I have RAID or AHCI enabled on the intel
    controller (I wonder if it doesn't like my drives?). I really hate
    to have to go into BIOS everytime I want to switch between OS's, but
    until I find an answer to this little predicament I'm probably going
    to stay on the XP drive... you know.. familiarity breeds
    contentment..

    Thanks so much for the help getting Mandriva to load!!!!

    Mikey

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:10:19, "Vince Coen"
    wrote:

    >Hello Mikey!
    >
    >14 Jan 07 20:26, Mikey wrote to All:
    >
    >Part two If you wish to install Windows (XP)
    >
    >You will need to build a floppy containing the device drivers for the Intel
    >ICH7R (82801GR) controller chip. It is on the mobo CD or go to the Intel web
    >site and get the latest. Regardless build a floppy using the supplied software
    >and when installing Win XP you must press F6 when requested and supply the
    >floopy also when requested.
    >
    >For more info on this go to the www.asus.com website and look in the forums
    >using the search engine for mobos, P5W HD, AHCI questions.
    >
    >Vince

+ Reply to Thread