Update to RE: Confused - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Update to RE: Confused - Mandrake ; Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes ...

  1. Update to RE: Confused

    Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and
    I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake
    but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes
    with a nice suite as well as a manual.
    Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).

    Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more questions.

  2. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    Sherman wrote:
    > Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and
    > I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake
    > but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes
    > with a nice suite as well as a manual.
    > Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).
    >
    > Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more questions.

    Because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can kiss my rosey red rectum.
    They put the last nail in the coffin (in my humble opinion)
    with their shennagans involving Vista.

  3. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:11:03 +0000, Sherman wrote:

    > Sherman wrote:
    >> Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and
    >> I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake
    >> but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes
    >> with a nice suite as well as a manual.
    >> Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).
    >>
    >> Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more questions.

    > Because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can kiss my rosey red rectum.
    > They put the last nail in the coffin (in my humble opinion)
    > with their shennagans involving Vista.

    Well, IMHO 10.1 was the worst version SUSE , better off with 10.0 or 10.2.
    No need to buy it really as it is available as a free download from
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download

    The only difference between the d'loaded version and bought is support,
    Personally I have never needed support,

    Testy

  4. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    Testy schreef:
    > On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:11:03 +0000, Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> Sherman wrote:
    >>> Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and
    >>> I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake
    >>> but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes
    >>> with a nice suite as well as a manual.
    >>> Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more questions.

    >> Because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can kiss my rosey red rectum.
    >> They put the last nail in the coffin (in my humble opinion)
    >> with their shennagans involving Vista.

    > Well, IMHO 10.1 was the worst version SUSE , better off with 10.0 or 10.2.
    > No need to buy it really as it is available as a free download from
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Download
    >
    > The only difference between the d'loaded version and bought is support,
    > Personally I have never needed support,
    >
    > Testy

    10.0 did not install on my apire 1692wlmi, neither did the last kubuntu,
    10.2 installed just like that and even my wireless and videocard were
    recognized immediately. While sus was installing, he did wireless the
    upgrade of bugfixes and patches. Only ZEN-updater didnt work, so i do my
    updates manually.
    But what i heard about 10.2 is that it is even better then 10.1 (don't
    understand why they should release a new version if it's worse or even
    "bad" as the previous)

    --

    david

    http://www.l4l.be www.linconexus.com http://www.openoffice.org

    Raquel Welch, appearing as presenter for Best Visual Effects at the Oscars:
    "My name is Raquel Welch. I am here for visual effects, and I have two
    of them."

  5. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    On 14 Jan at 16:37 Testy wrote in message
    <45aa5c56$0$4843$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>

    > On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:11:03 +0000, Sherman wrote:
    >
    > > Sherman wrote:
    > > > Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free
    > > > and I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended
    > > > Mandrake but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because
    > > > that comes with a nice suite as well as a manual. Did I do a bad with
    > > > SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).
    > >>
    > > > Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more
    > > > questions.

    > > Because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can kiss my rosey red rectum.
    > > They put the last nail in the coffin (in my humble opinion) with their
    > > shennagans involving Vista.

    > Well, IMHO 10.1 was the worst version SUSE , better off with 10.0 or 10.2.
    > No need to buy it really as it is available as a free download from
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Download
    >
    > The only difference between the d'loaded version and bought is support,
    > Personally I have never needed support,
    >
    > Testy

    Not wanting to be accused of being narrow-minded, may I respectfully ask wtf
    this has to do with Mandrake/Mandriva?

    Followups set
    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  6. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    estions.

    > Because as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can kiss my rosey red rectum.
    > They put the last nail in the coffin (in my humble opinion)
    > with their shennagans involving Vista.

    Blimey you waited this long !. I gave up after win98.

    Dave

  7. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:00:23 +0000, Sherman wrote:

    > Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and
    > I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake
    > but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes
    > with a nice suite as well as a manual.
    > Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).
    >
    > Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more questions.

    As a.o.l.mandrake is hardly the place to discuss the merits of SUSE, I
    would suggest that you subscribe to a.o.l.suse for detailed answers for
    that distribution.

    That being said, I run both SUSE and Mandriva, so I'll give you this
    advise. Go here, to receive proper instructions for setting up SUSE 10.1,
    to avoid the problems with the package manager that are present in the
    boxed version.

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/English.../suse10.1.html

    Follow the instructions, to the letter, and you will not experience the
    reported problems. I'm writing this from SUSE 10.1, and it's a very solid,
    stable release, once the package manager problem is corrected.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  8. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:00:23 +0000, Sherman wrote:

    > Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go free and
    > I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you recommended Mandrake
    > but SUSE is what they had. I decided to purchase because that comes
    > with a nice suite as well as a manual.
    > Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).
    >
    > Thanks again all and I'll be back as I will shurly have more questions.

    That's fine.

    BUT - what do you have against free? Ubuntu will actually send you free
    CDs if you sign up and request them from their site.

  9. Re: Update to RE: Confused

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:00:23 +0000, Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I appreciate everyone and their input. I decided not to go
    >> free and I ran out and purchased SUSE. I know many of you
    >> recommended Mandrake but SUSE is what they had. I decided to
    >> purchase because that comes with a nice suite as well as a
    >> manual. Did I do a bad with SUSE 10.1? (before I open the box).

    .... snip ...

    > BUT - what do you have against free? Ubuntu will actually send
    > you free CDs if you sign up and request them from their site.

    Probably because he got a manual with it. I, on the other hand,
    got the free Ubuntu 6.06 CDs and ordered "The Official Ubuntu
    Book". The book was a disappointment, since it does not go into
    the nuts and bolts.

    -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
    -- Thomas Matthews

+ Reply to Thread