UKLinux.net headache. - Mandrake

This is a discussion on UKLinux.net headache. - Mandrake ; Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send emails. Any ideas? Doug....

  1. UKLinux.net headache.

    Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    emails.

    Any ideas?

    Doug.

  2. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Doug wrote:

    > Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    > uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    > settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    > emails.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Doug.

    Have you checked your ISP's settings to see if they use a different SMTP
    port to the usual 25? Some servers use secure ports (for example, my Gmail
    smtp access uses port 465).

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  3. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Sea Eagle wrote:
    > Doug wrote:
    >
    > > Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    > > uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    > > settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    > > emails.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Doug.

    > Have you checked your ISP's settings to see if they use a different SMTP
    > port to the usual 25? Some servers use secure ports (for example, my Gmail
    > smtp access uses port 465).

    They give a port No for POP (110) but not for SMTP. Have tried 25, 110
    and 465 with no luck. Nothing seems to work.

    Doug.

  4. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Doug wrote:

    > Sea Eagle wrote:
    >> Doug wrote:
    >>
    >> > Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    >> > uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    >> > settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    >> > emails.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Doug.

    >> Have you checked your ISP's settings to see if they use a different SMTP
    >> port to the usual 25? Some servers use secure ports (for example, my
    >> Gmail smtp access uses port 465).
    >>

    > They give a port No for POP (110) but not for SMTP. Have tried 25, 110
    > and 465 with no luck. Nothing seems to work.
    >
    > Doug.

    In your Kmail - Accounts - Sending - Modify settings, click on the Security
    tab & check what the server supports. If it requires authentication via a
    special port, then it should change your settings to reflect that.

    Also, are you dialling directly into UKLinux.net, or are you sending via
    another ISP? If you are dialled directly into UKLinux, then you do not
    need to send your username & password to send mail, only to receive (at
    least, that's what I ascertain from
    http://www.uklinux.net/support/#mailhelp ).

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  5. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    >> Have you checked your ISP's settings to see if they use a different SMTP
    >> port to the usual 25? Some servers use secure ports (for example, my
    >> Gmail smtp access uses port 465).
    >>

    > They give a port No for POP (110) but not for SMTP. Have tried 25, 110
    > and 465 with no luck. Nothing seems to work.
    >
    > Doug.

    Also try port 587.

  6. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Sea Eagle wrote:

    > Doug wrote:
    >

    >> Sea Eagle wrote:

    >>> Have you checked your ISP's settings to see if they use a different SMTP
    >>> port to the usual 25? Some servers use secure ports (for example, my
    >>> Gmail smtp access uses port 465).
    >>>

    >> They give a port No for POP (110) but not for SMTP. Have tried 25, 110
    >> and 465 with no luck. Nothing seems to work.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > In your Kmail - Accounts - Sending - Modify settings, click on the
    > Security
    > tab & check what the server supports. If it requires authentication via a
    > special port, then it should change your settings to reflect that.
    >
    > Also, are you dialling directly into UKLinux.net, or are you sending via
    > another ISP? If you are dialled directly into UKLinux, then you do not
    > need to send your username & password to send mail, only to receive (at
    > least, that's what I ascertain from
    > http://www.uklinux.net/support/#mailhelp ).

    Some UK providers are now using authentication for outgoing mail, some
    don't. I've never used the OP's ISP however, BTInternet and tesco.net that
    I have used both now require authentication of outgoing mail.
    As well as using your username and password you might also want to insert a
    delay of approximately 3 seconds on it checking authentication before it
    sends. I have had a problem with tesco.net years ago were doing that helped
    remove the problem as it finished authentication in time before the
    outgoing mail started hitting their server. I've also seen the same happen
    on eCopy units that have been set up to mail externally too, so it may be
    worth checking out?

    Andrew Ed

  7. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    On 2007-01-14, Doug wrote:
    > Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    > uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    > settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    > emails.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Doug.

    You seem to be using an internet connection provided by BT Broadband, not
    UKLinux. According to :

    [...]

    If you are a subscription member (ie you pay a subscription for your
    UKLINUX membership) then you can send email via our servers even when
    you are not dialled into our UK local rate access numbers.

    To do this you will need to configure your mail software to use
    Authenticated SMTP when talking to our mail server and use your UKLINUX
    user name and password to authenticate your connection.

    [...]

    So if you are /not/ a subscription member it looks as though you won't be
    able to use the UKLinux SMTP server when not dialed-in via your account
    with them.

    You may be able to send mail with your UKLinux email address in the From
    header, using BT's SMTP server.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  8. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2007-01-14, Doug wrote:
    > > Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    > > uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    > > settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    > > emails.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Doug.

    > You seem to be using an internet connection provided by BT Broadband, not
    > UKLinux. According to :
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > If you are a subscription member (ie you pay a subscription for your
    > UKLINUX membership) then you can send email via our servers even when
    > you are not dialled into our UK local rate access numbers.
    >
    > To do this you will need to configure your mail software to use
    > Authenticated SMTP when talking to our mail server and use your UKLINUX
    > user name and password to authenticate your connection.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > So if you are /not/ a subscription member it looks as though you won't be
    > able to use the UKLinux SMTP server when not dialed-in via your account
    > with them.
    >
    > You may be able to send mail with your UKLinux email address in the From
    > header, using BT's SMTP server.

    Sorry for the delay.

    I have a Standard member subscription.

    Do I understand you correctly, UKLinux provide a broadband connection
    and this means I have to reconfigure my BT modem to suit? Do I use my
    normal UKLinux ID and password for the modem?

    Doug.

  9. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    On 2007-01-15, Doug wrote:

    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-01-14, Doug wrote:
    >> > Am using Mandrake and Kontact KMail. No problem receiving POP mail but
    >> > uklinux.net requires me to authenticate to use SMTP. The usual
    >> > settings, id and password, just don't work and it is impossible to send
    >> > emails.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Doug.

    >> You seem to be using an internet connection provided by BT Broadband, not
    >> UKLinux. According to :
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> If you are a subscription member (ie you pay a subscription for your
    >> UKLINUX membership) then you can send email via our servers even when
    >> you are not dialled into our UK local rate access numbers.
    >>
    >> To do this you will need to configure your mail software to use
    >> Authenticated SMTP when talking to our mail server and use your UKLINUX
    >> user name and password to authenticate your connection.
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> So if you are /not/ a subscription member it looks as though you won't be
    >> able to use the UKLinux SMTP server when not dialed-in via your account
    >> with them.
    >>
    >> You may be able to send mail with your UKLinux email address in the From
    >> header, using BT's SMTP server.
    >>

    > Sorry for the delay.
    >
    > I have a Standard member subscription.
    >
    > Do I understand you correctly, UKLinux provide a broadband connection
    > and this means I have to reconfigure my BT modem to suit? Do I use my
    > normal UKLinux ID and password for the modem?
    >
    > Doug.

    Do not touch the "modem"!

    Your internet connection is apparently provided by BT Broadband; the only
    way to change that is to cancel your account with them and sign up with
    someone else. That won't solve your email problem.

    As far as I know, UKLinux.net do not offer an ADSL internet service.

    You seem to be saying that you have a standard member subscription with
    UKLinux.net, and that you want to send email using their SMTP server. To
    do that you have to tell your email program to connect to the UKLinux.net
    SMTP server, and to 'authorise' using your UKLinux.net username and
    password.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  10. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-01-15, Doug wrote:
    > >
    > > Whiskers wrote:

    > >> You seem to be using an internet connection provided by BT Broadband, not
    > >> UKLinux. According to :
    > >>
    > >> [...]
    > >>
    > >> If you are a subscription member (ie you pay a subscription for your
    > >> UKLINUX membership) then you can send email via our servers even when
    > >> you are not dialled into our UK local rate access numbers.
    > >>
    > >> To do this you will need to configure your mail software to use
    > >> Authenticated SMTP when talking to our mail server and use your UKLINUX
    > >> user name and password to authenticate your connection.
    > >>
    > >> [...]
    > >>
    > >> So if you are /not/ a subscription member it looks as though you won't be
    > >> able to use the UKLinux SMTP server when not dialed-in via your account
    > >> with them.
    > >>
    > >> You may be able to send mail with your UKLinux email address in the From
    > >> header, using BT's SMTP server.
    > >>

    > > Sorry for the delay.
    > >
    > > I have a Standard member subscription.
    > >
    > > Do I understand you correctly, UKLinux provide a broadband connection
    > > and this means I have to reconfigure my BT modem to suit? Do I use my
    > > normal UKLinux ID and password for the modem?
    > >
    > > Doug.

    > Do not touch the "modem"!
    >
    > Your internet connection is apparently provided by BT Broadband; the only
    > way to change that is to cancel your account with them and sign up with
    > someone else. That won't solve your email problem.
    >
    > As far as I know, UKLinux.net do not offer an ADSL internet service.
    >
    > You seem to be saying that you have a standard member subscription with
    > UKLinux.net, and that you want to send email using their SMTP server. To
    > do that you have to tell your email program to connect to the UKLinux.net
    > SMTP server, and to 'authorise' using your UKLinux.net username and
    > password.

    Bin there done that, it doesn't work. Have configured the SMTP with
    user name and password. The UKLinux.net website instructions are highly
    confusing and I can't get any response at all from their support email
    address. They seem just as bad not giving advice on Perl configuration.
    The only thing I am pleased with is the WAP wml provision, which is
    easy to set up and works fine as do the ordinary HTML pages.

    Doug.

  11. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    On 2007-01-16, Doug wrote:

    > Whiskers wrote:

    snip

    >> You seem to be saying that you have a standard member subscription with
    >> UKLinux.net, and that you want to send email using their SMTP server. To
    >> do that you have to tell your email program to connect to the UKLinux.net
    >> SMTP server, and to 'authorise' using your UKLinux.net username and
    >> password.
    >>

    > Bin there done that, it doesn't work. Have configured the SMTP with
    > user name and password. The UKLinux.net website instructions are highly
    > confusing and I can't get any response at all from their support email
    > address. They seem just as bad not giving advice on Perl configuration.
    > The only thing I am pleased with is the WAP wml provision, which is
    > easy to set up and works fine as do the ordinary HTML pages.
    >
    > Doug.

    Have you put the correct UKLinux.net SMTP server name in the appropriate
    part of the email program setup?

    If you are using Kmail, you need to select 'use special transport' in the
    'Advanced' tab of the appropriate 'Identity', if you haven't specified the
    UKLinux.net SMTP server as the 'default' for all outgoing email.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  12. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-01-16, Doug wrote:
    > >
    > > Whiskers wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > >> You seem to be saying that you have a standard member subscription with
    > >> UKLinux.net, and that you want to send email using their SMTP server. To
    > >> do that you have to tell your email program to connect to the UKLinux.net
    > >> SMTP server, and to 'authorise' using your UKLinux.net username and
    > >> password.
    > >>

    > > Bin there done that, it doesn't work. Have configured the SMTP with
    > > user name and password. The UKLinux.net website instructions are highly
    > > confusing and I can't get any response at all from their support email
    > > address. They seem just as bad not giving advice on Perl configuration.
    > > The only thing I am pleased with is the WAP wml provision, which is
    > > easy to set up and works fine as do the ordinary HTML pages.
    > >
    > > Doug.

    > Have you put the correct UKLinux.net SMTP server name in the appropriate
    > part of the email program setup?

    smtp.uklinux.net

    > If you are using Kmail, you need to select 'use special transport' in the
    > 'Advanced' tab of the appropriate 'Identity', if you haven't specified the
    > UKLinux.net SMTP server as the 'default' for all outgoing email.

    What do I put in the special transport field? The default is my
    account ID.

    Thanks

    Doug.

  13. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    On 2007-01-16, Doug wrote:

    > Whiskers wrote:

    snip

    >> Have you put the correct UKLinux.net SMTP server name in the appropriate
    >> part of the email program setup?
    >>

    > smtp.uklinux.net
    >>
    >> If you are using Kmail, you need to select 'use special transport' in the
    >> 'Advanced' tab of the appropriate 'Identity', if you haven't specified the
    >> UKLinux.net SMTP server as the 'default' for all outgoing email.
    >>

    > What do I put in the special transport field? The default is my
    > account ID.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Doug.

    Kmail gives you a drop-down list of all the 'Accounts - sending' you have
    set up; you need one for your UKLinux account, and you select that one in
    the drop-down list for the 'special transport' for the 'Identity/ies' you
    want to use that account. You'll have a seperate 'Account - sending' for
    your BT email account, and another for each other email account via which
    you want to send email (likewise, 'Account - Receiving' for each of the
    accounts you want to check incoming mail for).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  14. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-01-16, Doug wrote:
    > >
    > > Whiskers wrote:

    > snip
    >

    > >> Have you put the correct UKLinux.net SMTP server name in the appropriate
    > >> part of the email program setup?
    > >>

    > > smtp.uklinux.net
    > >>
    > >> If you are using Kmail, you need to select 'use special transport' in the
    > >> 'Advanced' tab of the appropriate 'Identity', if you haven't specified the
    > >> UKLinux.net SMTP server as the 'default' for all outgoing email.
    > >>

    > > What do I put in the special transport field? The default is my
    > > account ID.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Doug.
    > >

    > Kmail gives you a drop-down list of all the 'Accounts - sending' you have
    > set up; you need one for your UKLinux account, and you select that one in
    > the drop-down list for the 'special transport' for the 'Identity/ies' you
    > want to use that account. You'll have a seperate 'Account - sending' for
    > your BT email account, and another for each other email account via which
    > you want to send email (likewise, 'Account - Receiving' for each of the
    > accounts you want to check incoming mail for).

    I think I have finally sussed the problem. BT Broadband don't do email.
    For example I can't use Outlook Express for sending only receiving and
    have to use Webmail for sending instead. So the same must apply to
    Kmail. Silly of me not to have realised this sooner. I can't seem to
    find Webmail anywhere on the UKLinux site.

    Thanks for your help anyway.

    Doug.

  15. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    On 2007-01-17, Doug wrote:

    > Whiskers wrote:

    snip

    > I think I have finally sussed the problem. BT Broadband don't do email.

    I don't believe that.

    > For example I can't use Outlook Express for sending only receiving and
    > have to use Webmail for sending instead.

    I think you need to look into the settings of your BT Yahoo Mail account -
    on the website.

    > So the same must apply to
    > Kmail. Silly of me not to have realised this sooner.

    Perhaps the silliness has more to do with not looking on your ISP's web
    site for their instructions.

    > I can't seem to find Webmail anywhere on the UKLinux site.

    That's quite likely. Many ISP's don't provide webmail access to their
    email system - some don't even provide email accounts at all.

    > Thanks for your help anyway.
    >
    > Doug.

    Have you tried looking at your ISP's web site for help getting your BT
    Broadband email working? I found this fairly easily - and they aren't even
    my ISP.
    <http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cf....php?p_sid=CB7
    yKWri&cat_lvl1=346&cat_lvl2=401&cat_lvl3=412&cat_lvl4=413&p_cv=4.413&p_cats
    =346,401,412,413&p_faqid=7062> (Try if the long link
    is broken in your newsreader).

    Try the 'click here for user-friendly help ...' link on that page if you
    need more help.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  16. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-01-17, Doug wrote:
    > >
    > > Whiskers wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > > I think I have finally sussed the problem. BT Broadband don't do email.

    > I don't believe that.
    >
    > > For example I can't use Outlook Express for sending only receiving and
    > > have to use Webmail for sending instead.

    > I think you need to look into the settings of your BT Yahoo Mail account -
    > on the website.
    >
    > > So the same must apply to
    > > Kmail. Silly of me not to have realised this sooner.

    > Perhaps the silliness has more to do with not looking on your ISP's web
    > site for their instructions.
    >
    > > I can't seem to find Webmail anywhere on the UKLinux site.

    > That's quite likely. Many ISP's don't provide webmail access to their
    > email system - some don't even provide email accounts at all.
    >
    > > Thanks for your help anyway.
    > >
    > > Doug.

    > Have you tried looking at your ISP's web site for help getting your BT
    > Broadband email working? I found this fairly easily - and they aren't even
    > my ISP.
    > <http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cf....php?p_sid=CB7
    > yKWri&cat_lvl1=346&cat_lvl2=401&cat_lvl3=412&cat_lvl4=413&p_cv=4.413&p_cats
    > =346,401,412,413&p_faqid=7062> (Try if the long link
    > is broken in your newsreader).
    >
    > Try the 'click here for user-friendly help ...' link on that page if you
    > need more help.

    I can't find the original email but when I first signed up to BT and
    found the email didn't work they informed me that I would have to use
    Yahoo webmail. Moreover the Outlook settings installation given in your
    link doesn't work and my attempts at manual Outlook settings for Yahoo
    in the past also do not work, despite other ISPs being perfectly OK. BT
    seem to be very cagey about these problems.

    I suppose it is a step forward that I can at least receive email on
    Kmail using BT.

    Doug.

  17. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    On 2007-01-18, Doug wrote:

    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2007-01-17, Doug wrote:

    snip

    > I can't find the original email but when I first signed up to BT and
    > found the email didn't work they informed me that I would have to use
    > Yahoo webmail. Moreover the Outlook settings installation given in your
    > link doesn't work and my attempts at manual Outlook settings for Yahoo
    > in the past also do not work, despite other ISPs being perfectly OK. BT
    > seem to be very cagey about these problems.
    >
    > I suppose it is a step forward that I can at least receive email on
    > Kmail using BT.
    >
    > Doug.

    Complain, and keep on complaining until the system works. The
    instructions on their web site clearly show that sneding email by SMTP
    from your own email program, is intended to work and is included in the
    price you are paying. You are entitled to have that service. I've heard
    lately from members of my own family who use the BT Yahoo email service
    that sending of emails has suddenly ceased to work, so it looks as though
    there is a technical problem with BT's own systems.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  18. Re: UKLinux.net headache.

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-01-18, Doug wrote:
    > >
    > > Whiskers wrote:
    > >> On 2007-01-17, Doug wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > > I can't find the original email but when I first signed up to BT and
    > > found the email didn't work they informed me that I would have to use
    > > Yahoo webmail. Moreover the Outlook settings installation given in your
    > > link doesn't work and my attempts at manual Outlook settings for Yahoo
    > > in the past also do not work, despite other ISPs being perfectly OK. BT
    > > seem to be very cagey about these problems.
    > >
    > > I suppose it is a step forward that I can at least receive email on
    > > Kmail using BT.
    > >
    > > Doug.

    > Complain, and keep on complaining until the system works. The
    > instructions on their web site clearly show that sneding email by SMTP
    > from your own email program, is intended to work and is included in the
    > price you are paying. You are entitled to have that service. I've heard
    > lately from members of my own family who use the BT Yahoo email service
    > that sending of emails has suddenly ceased to work, so it looks as though
    > there is a technical problem with BT's own systems.

    I have no problem sending via webmail with BT via Yahoo or other ISPs,
    it just doesn't work with Outlook Express and similar programs and
    UKLinux doesn't seem to do webmail. They don't prioritise email help
    enquiries sent from a non-Linux source but there is no way at the
    moment that I can use Linux SMTP, unless I switch back to dial-up.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread