mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird - Mandrake

This is a discussion on mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird - Mandrake ; I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and found many places with advice, most ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

  1. mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla
    tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call
    Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and
    found many places with advice, most with the same advice, and I've
    followed it, checking many times to see that I did exactly what was
    instructed and had all my paths correct. I have the two lines in the
    Firefox prefs.js as they should be, and I've set Thunderbird as the
    default mail client in the KDE Control Center. That's all anybody ever
    says to do.

    I had it working fine with Mandriva 2006 and 2005LE, but try as I might,
    when I click on a mailto link, nothing happens. What have I forgotten?
    What am I missing?

    TJ

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  2. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    TJ wrote:

    > I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla
    > tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call
    > Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and
    > found many places with advice, most with the same advice, and I've
    > followed it, checking many times to see that I did exactly what was
    > instructed and had all my paths correct. I have the two lines in the
    > Firefox prefs.js as they should be, and I've set Thunderbird as the
    > default mail client in the KDE Control Center. That's all anybody ever
    > says to do.
    >
    > I had it working fine with Mandriva 2006 and 2005LE, but try as I might,
    > when I click on a mailto link, nothing happens. What have I forgotten?
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > TJ
    >
    > TJ
    >


    I think the Control Center setting is for KDE applications only, so it may
    not work for Firefox.

    I wrote some easy-to-follow instructions on getting the relationship between
    Firefox & Thunderbird right in my blog last year - just visit:
    http://scott2096.blogspot.com/2006/0...t-between.html

    Also, make sure that Firefox is closed when you make the changes to the
    prefs.js file - otherwise they will be overwritten when you close Firefox.

    Cheers

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  3. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    Sea Eagle wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla
    >> tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call
    >> Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and
    >> found many places with advice, most with the same advice, and I've
    >> followed it, checking many times to see that I did exactly what was
    >> instructed and had all my paths correct. I have the two lines in the
    >> Firefox prefs.js as they should be, and I've set Thunderbird as the
    >> default mail client in the KDE Control Center. That's all anybody ever
    >> says to do.
    >>
    >> I had it working fine with Mandriva 2006 and 2005LE, but try as I might,
    >> when I click on a mailto link, nothing happens. What have I forgotten?
    >> What am I missing?
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>

    >
    > I think the Control Center setting is for KDE applications only, so it may
    > not work for Firefox.
    >
    > I wrote some easy-to-follow instructions on getting the relationship between
    > Firefox & Thunderbird right in my blog last year - just visit:
    > http://scott2096.blogspot.com/2006/0...t-between.html
    >
    > Also, make sure that Firefox is closed when you make the changes to the
    > prefs.js file - otherwise they will be overwritten when you close Firefox.
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    Yep, that's what I did, except that I used the "about:config" url to
    change the path in the line that was already there. I kept my Firefox
    and Thunderbird profiles when I installed Mandriva 2007, by saving the
    ..mozilla and .thunderbird folders and then restoring them after the
    install. I had the mailto function working in Mandriva 2006 with Firefox
    1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5.

    Do I need to install Gnome and change the default mail client there?

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  4. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    TJ wrote:

    > Sea Eagle wrote:
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla
    >>> tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call
    >>> Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and
    >>> found many places with advice, most with the same advice, and I've
    >>> followed it, checking many times to see that I did exactly what was
    >>> instructed and had all my paths correct. I have the two lines in the
    >>> Firefox prefs.js as they should be, and I've set Thunderbird as the
    >>> default mail client in the KDE Control Center. That's all anybody ever
    >>> says to do.
    >>>
    >>> I had it working fine with Mandriva 2006 and 2005LE, but try as I might,
    >>> when I click on a mailto link, nothing happens. What have I forgotten?
    >>> What am I missing?
    >>>
    >>> TJ
    >>>
    >>> TJ
    >>>

    >>
    >> I think the Control Center setting is for KDE applications only, so it
    >> may not work for Firefox.
    >>
    >> I wrote some easy-to-follow instructions on getting the relationship
    >> between Firefox & Thunderbird right in my blog last year - just visit:
    >>

    http://scott2096.blogspot.com/2006/0...t-between.html
    >>
    >> Also, make sure that Firefox is closed when you make the changes to the
    >> prefs.js file - otherwise they will be overwritten when you close
    >> Firefox.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Yep, that's what I did, except that I used the "about:config" url to
    > change the path in the line that was already there. I kept my Firefox
    > and Thunderbird profiles when I installed Mandriva 2007, by saving the
    > .mozilla and .thunderbird folders and then restoring them after the
    > install. I had the mailto function working in Mandriva 2006 with Firefox
    > 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5.
    >
    > Do I need to install Gnome and change the default mail client there?
    >
    > TJ
    >


    As far as I'm aware, Gnome shouldn't make a difference. Did you actually go
    into your prefs.js file, or only via about:config? You may also need to
    check what the path is to Thunderbird as it may have changed since your new
    installation. I recommend that you enter the full path to Thunderbird to
    get it working.

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  5. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    Sea Eagle wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Sea Eagle wrote:
    >>> TJ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla
    >>>> tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call
    >>>> Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and
    >>>> found many places with advice, most with the same advice, and I've
    >>>> followed it, checking many times to see that I did exactly what was
    >>>> instructed and had all my paths correct. I have the two lines in the
    >>>> Firefox prefs.js as they should be, and I've set Thunderbird as the
    >>>> default mail client in the KDE Control Center. That's all anybody ever
    >>>> says to do.
    >>>>
    >>>> I had it working fine with Mandriva 2006 and 2005LE, but try as I might,
    >>>> when I click on a mailto link, nothing happens. What have I forgotten?
    >>>> What am I missing?
    >>>>
    >>>> TJ
    >>>>
    >>>> TJ
    >>>>
    >>> I think the Control Center setting is for KDE applications only, so it
    >>> may not work for Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> I wrote some easy-to-follow instructions on getting the relationship
    >>> between Firefox & Thunderbird right in my blog last year - just visit:
    >>>

    > http://scott2096.blogspot.com/2006/0...t-between.html
    >>> Also, make sure that Firefox is closed when you make the changes to the
    >>> prefs.js file - otherwise they will be overwritten when you close
    >>> Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> Yep, that's what I did, except that I used the "about:config" url to
    >> change the path in the line that was already there. I kept my Firefox
    >> and Thunderbird profiles when I installed Mandriva 2007, by saving the
    >> .mozilla and .thunderbird folders and then restoring them after the
    >> install. I had the mailto function working in Mandriva 2006 with Firefox
    >> 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5.
    >>
    >> Do I need to install Gnome and change the default mail client there?
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>

    >
    > As far as I'm aware, Gnome shouldn't make a difference. Did you actually go
    > into your prefs.js file, or only via about:config? You may also need to
    > check what the path is to Thunderbird as it may have changed since your new
    > installation. I recommend that you enter the full path to Thunderbird to
    > get it working.
    >


    OK, all Linux newbies out there...This is stupid-thing-to-watch-out-for
    #1A: When typing a path, DON'T forget that first "/" because if you do
    you'll stare at that entry a thousand times before you see it's missing,
    and it won't work without it!

    Yeah, that's what happened to me. It doesn't matter whether you edit
    prefs.js with an editor or about:config - you forget that first slash
    and you're in trouble.

    If anybody wants me for the next few hours, I'll be in a corner, gibbering.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  6. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    TJ wrote:

    >
    > OK, all Linux newbies out there...This is stupid-thing-to-watch-out-for
    > #1A: When typing a path, DON'T forget that first "/" because if you do
    > you'll stare at that entry a thousand times before you see it's missing,
    > and it won't work without it!
    >
    > Yeah, that's what happened to me. It doesn't matter whether you edit
    > prefs.js with an editor or about:config - you forget that first slash
    > and you're in trouble.
    >
    > If anybody wants me for the next few hours, I'll be in a corner,
    > gibbering.
    >
    > TJ
    >

    I'm just glad you got it sorted out You've taught me something too - I
    didn't realise that it could be done via about:config.

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  7. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird


    > I'm just glad you got it sorted out You've taught me something too - I
    > didn't realise that it could be done via about:config.


    Thats the way I ahve always done it. I believe that is the correct way to do
    it.

    Dave




  8. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    gort wrote:

    >
    >> I'm just glad you got it sorted out You've taught me something too -
    >> I didn't realise that it could be done via about:config.

    >
    > Thats the way I ahve always done it. I believe that is the correct way to
    > do it.
    >
    > Dave


    I've updated the entry in my blog. Guess it shows you can learn something
    new every day

    --
    Nothing's Too Sacred - http://scott2096.blogspot.com/
    Email: seaeaglesrule-donotspam@gmail.com (remove "-donotspam")

    Registered Linux User # 384081 http://counter.li.org/

  9. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    TJ wrote:
    > I've installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.9 from the Mozilla
    > tarballs into Mandriva 2007. I have been trying to get Firefox to call
    > Thunderbird with the mailto link, with no success. I've googled and
    > found many places with advice, most with the same advice, and I've
    > followed it, checking many times to see that I did exactly what was
    > instructed and had all my paths correct. I have the two lines in the
    > Firefox prefs.js as they should be, and I've set Thunderbird as the
    > default mail client in the KDE Control Center. That's all anybody ever
    > says to do.
    >
    > I had it working fine with Mandriva 2006 and 2005LE, but try as I might,
    > when I click on a mailto link, nothing happens. What have I forgotten?
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > TJ
    >
    > TJ
    >

    Does anyone else think that this is stupid? Mozilla suite just worked
    for e-mail, so they separated them and don't interoperate unless you go
    on some blog or usenet list and ask questions and then type obscure
    frakking nontext gibberish:

    >>I'm just glad you got it sorted out You've taught me
    something too -
    >>>> I didn't realize that it could be done via about:config.

    >
    >>
    >> Thats the way I have always done it. I believe that is the correct

    way to
    >> do it.
    >>
    >> Dave

    I've updated the entry in my blog. Guess it shows you can learn something
    new every day

    or this is good,

    OK, all Linux newbies out there...This is stupid-thing-to-watch-out-for
    > #1A: When typing a path, DON'T forget that first "/" because if you do
    > you'll stare at that entry a thousand times before you see it's missing,
    > and it won't work without it!


    AND IT WON"T WORK WITHOUT IT!

    I use linux, I have used nothing but since Mandrake 8.2. I tried to use
    it for a long time before that. I will not use anything but Linux for
    the ROML - but there are unbelievably stupid policies roaming about our
    community that drive me crazy.

    Yes I know Firefox and Thunderbird are for many OS's but it came from
    linux philosophy and has been growing in relation to linux and toward it.

    Here's another sample: how do you change the ui font in Mozilla 1.3's,
    1.5's early Firefox, late Firefox and Seamonkeydo ? Why is this
    obfuscated? Who decides these things?

    here's an idea - when you install firefox have it ask which email
    program you use, and have it set the links! Wow software design is easy.

    Frak!

  10. Re: mailto, Firefox, and Thunderbird

    famous wrote:

    > Here's another sample: how do you change the ui font in Mozilla 1.3's,
    > 1.5's early Firefox, late Firefox and Seamonkeydo ?


    Have a look in the chrome subdirectory in your default Mozilla or Firefox
    directory for a file called userChrome-example.css.

    --
    Garry Knight
    garryknight@gmx.net

+ Reply to Thread