Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux. - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux. - Mandrake ; Good day group. I have a 40 gig portable hard drive I use to backup/store my photos when I am in the field with my my digital cameras. It has a slot I put the memory into and the photos ...

  1. Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux.

    Good day group.

    I have a 40 gig portable hard drive I use to backup/store my photos when I
    am in the field with my my digital cameras. It has a slot I put the memory
    into and the photos get transfered to the drive.

    I plug this into the USB port on my computer. Windows has no trouble seeing
    it within a few tens of seconds and I can transfer files from it to my
    system hard drive without jumping through any flaming hoops (easily).

    I tried to see the drive under linux twice. I didn't think I would see it. I
    didn't. I'll have to make some sort of entry in devs or mount it or perhaps
    a combo of the two with very little (none) experience doing this sort of
    thing I am headed for disaster.

    I really want to try this under linux (Mandrake 10.1, 2.6 kernel).
    What should I do?

    Waz

  2. Re: Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux.

    On 2007-01-08, waz wrote:

    > Good day group.
    >
    > I have a 40 gig portable hard drive...

    > I really want to try this under linux (Mandrake 10.1, 2.6 kernel).
    > What should I do?

    Ideally upgrade to 2007. USB HD support is pretty much seamless.

    Compare /etc/fstab before and after you plug in the drive. Hopefully it
    changes. If so you can manually mount the new device that appeared.

    Then I think you will need to play with devfs to make it all automatic??

    Lordy

  3. Re: Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux.

    On 2007-01-08, waz wrote:

    > Good day group.
    >
    > I have a 40 gig portable hard drive I use to backup/store my photos when I
    > am in the field with my my digital cameras. It has a slot I put the memory
    > into and the photos get transfered to the drive.
    >
    > I plug this into the USB port on my computer. Windows has no trouble seeing
    > it within a few tens of seconds and I can transfer files from it to my
    > system hard drive without jumping through any flaming hoops (easily).
    >
    > I tried to see the drive under linux twice. I didn't think I would see it. I
    > didn't. I'll have to make some sort of entry in devs or mount it or perhaps
    > a combo of the two with very little (none) experience doing this sort of
    > thing I am headed for disaster.
    >
    > I really want to try this under linux (Mandrake 10.1, 2.6 kernel).
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Waz

    Call up a terminal (Konsole for example) to get a command prompt. Then
    enter the command su and enter your 'root' password when asked. Then
    enter this command:

    tail -f /var/log/syslog

    Now plug in your USB device and use copy/paste to show us the resulting
    messages that appear in your syslog.

    You can stop the tail -f thing by keying Ctrl-c and end the 'root session'
    with Ctrl-d and close the terminal session with another Ctrl-d.

    As has been commented already, Mandrake 10.1 is past it's use-by date; the
    current Mandriva 2007 handles USB devices rather better.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux.

    waz wrote:

    > Good day group.
    >
    > I have a 40 gig portable hard drive I use to backup/store my photos when I
    > am in the field with my my digital cameras. It has a slot I put the memory
    > into and the photos get transfered to the drive.
    >
    > I plug this into the USB port on my computer. Windows has no trouble
    > seeing it within a few tens of seconds and I can transfer files from it to
    > my system hard drive without jumping through any flaming hoops (easily).
    >
    > I tried to see the drive under linux twice. I didn't think I would see it.
    > I didn't. I'll have to make some sort of entry in devs or mount it or
    > perhaps a combo of the two with very little (none) experience doing this
    > sort of thing I am headed for disaster.
    >
    > I really want to try this under linux (Mandrake 10.1, 2.6 kernel).
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Waz

    I found some good advice at

    file:/home/alp/Documents/linux/Mounting-USB-drive.html

    .. I had to change sda to sda1 to get it to work. I hooked it up to the usb 2
    port as the device was not seen when I hooked it up to usb 1.1 ports.
    Unfortunately I was only able to copy about 10 files before it froze up. I
    had seen this problem under windows xp as well and worked around it by
    using the usb 1.1 ports but have recently had success with usb 2 and
    windows xp.

    Thanks for the comments and advice.
    Perhaps the above link will help others with a similar problem.

    Waz

  5. Re: Removable hard drive. Not seen under linux.

    lordy wrote:

    > Ideally upgrade to 2007. USB HD support is pretty much seamless.

    I agree. There is a real difference.

    > Compare /etc/fstab before and after you plug in the drive. Hopefully it
    > changes. If so you can manually mount the new device that appeared.

    Not in my case. Although the removable HD is obviously mounted (in my case,
    on /mnt/removable) this entry is not written in /etc/fstab.
    These "temporary" mount points are written (in my system) on /etc/mtab,
    which is changed 'on the fly'.

    Best from a rainy and too warm Italy,
    guido

    --
    Guido Milanese
    Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy

+ Reply to Thread