Mandiva 2007: firmware missing? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandiva 2007: firmware missing? - Mandrake ; I have bought a Powerpack 2007 box, and installed it from scratch (I had a Mandriva 2006). My ZyXEL G-360 802.119 Wireless PCI Card worked very well on the 2006 version, using ndiswrapper with the tnet1130 driver. Now, to my ...

  1. Mandiva 2007: firmware missing?

    I have bought a Powerpack 2007 box, and installed it from scratch (I
    had a Mandriva 2006). My ZyXEL G-360 802.119 Wireless PCI Card worked
    very well on the 2006 version, using ndiswrapper with the tnet1130
    driver.
    Now, to my amazement, after installing the same driver from the
    original Windows installation CD, the installer claims that I need a
    certain firmware, which is available in commercial versions. I have a
    commercial version, so I can't make sense of this request.
    The links provided to download the firmware are a bit too technical for
    me, and I do not want to make dangerous mistakes.
    Can some kind soul tell me what I have to download and where am I
    supposed to place the new component?

    Many thanks. But things like this are exactly the kind of problems that
    persuades people to think that Linux is not reliable.

    Guido Milanese, Genoa, Italy

  2. Re: Mandiva 2007: firmware missing?

    On 2007-01-02, Guido Milanese wrote:
    > I have bought a Powerpack 2007 box, and installed it from scratch (I
    > had a Mandriva 2006). My ZyXEL G-360 802.119 Wireless PCI Card worked
    > very well on the 2006 version, using ndiswrapper with the tnet1130
    > driver.
    > Now, to my amazement, after installing the same driver from the
    > original Windows installation CD, the installer claims that I need a
    > certain firmware, which is available in commercial versions. I have a
    > commercial version, so I can't make sense of this request.
    > The links provided to download the firmware are a bit too technical for
    > me, and I do not want to make dangerous mistakes.
    > Can some kind soul tell me what I have to download and where am I
    > supposed to place the new component?

    I suspect that Mandriva is trying to use a 'native Linux' driver for your
    wireless card, instead of the Windows driver via ndiswrapper. I have had
    a similar experience trying to get the Broadcom wireless card to work on
    this laptop. I couldn't find the missing file in any of the places
    Mandriva said I could find it.

    What I did, was to start by 'deleting' the 'network interface' created
    automatically for the wireless card by Mandriva: 'Configure your computer -
    Network and Internet - Delete a network interface'. Then I went to 'Set
    up a new network interface - Wireless' and manually selected 'use a
    Windows driver (with ndiswrapper)' when prompted, and from that point on
    things seemed to be pretty straight-forward. I hope this approach works
    for you )

    > Many thanks. But things like this are exactly the kind of problems that
    > persuades people to think that Linux is not reliable.

    No other operating system ever has any problems finding the right drivers
    for anything, of course )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  3. Re: Mandiva 2007: firmware missing?

    Whiskers wrote:

    > > Many thanks. But things like this are exactly the kind of problems that
    > > persuades people to think that Linux is not reliable.

    > No other operating system ever has any problems finding the right drivers
    > for anything, of course )

    Oh, yes, of course.... but you know how things go. If e.g. one of my
    students has a problem with a Win driver, the problem is that
    particular driver... if I persuaded h['er'|'im'] to use Linux, the
    problem is Linux!
    Many thanks for your suggestion. I'll try to see if it works. In the
    meantime, I am now installing a windows drivers for the printer -- my
    wife says that it does not work. But of course it is not a Win-related
    problem...

    gm

  4. Re: Mandiva 2007: firmware missing?

    Thanks again for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work. I
    solved the problem installing a driver from linuxant and it's basically
    OK.

    Best regards,
    gm

  5. Re: Mandiva 2007: firmware missing?

    "Guido Milanese" writes:

    >I have bought a Powerpack 2007 box, and installed it from scratch (I
    >had a Mandriva 2006). My ZyXEL G-360 802.119 Wireless PCI Card worked
    >very well on the 2006 version, using ndiswrapper with the tnet1130
    >driver.

    ndiswrapper needs to be recompiled for each kernel.

    >Now, to my amazement, after installing the same driver from the
    >original Windows installation CD, the installer claims that I need a
    >certain firmware, which is available in commercial versions. I have a
    >commercial version, so I can't make sense of this request.
    >The links provided to download the firmware are a bit too technical for
    >me, and I do not want to make dangerous mistakes.
    >Can some kind soul tell me what I have to download and where am I
    >supposed to place the new component?

    No idea. But just follow the directions. There is nothing you can destroy.
    Ie there are no dangerous mistakes you can make. Mistakes, sure, but
    dangerous? no.

    >Many thanks. But things like this are exactly the kind of problems that
    >persuades people to think that Linux is not reliable.

    >Guido Milanese, Genoa, Italy

  6. Re: Mandiva 2007: firmware missing?

    Unruh wrote:

    > "Guido Milanese" writes:
    >
    >>I have bought a Powerpack 2007 box, and installed it from
    >>scratch (I had a Mandriva 2006). My ZyXEL G-360 802.119
    >>Wireless PCI Card worked very well on the 2006 version, using
    >>ndiswrapper with the tnet1130 driver.

    > ndiswrapper needs to be recompiled for each kernel.
    >
    >>Now, to my amazement, after installing the same driver from the
    >>original Windows installation CD, the installer claims that I
    >>need a certain firmware, which is available in commercial
    >>versions. I have a commercial version, so I can't make sense of
    >>this request. The links provided to download the firmware are a
    >>bit too technical for me, and I do not want to make dangerous
    >>mistakes. Can some kind soul tell me what I have to download
    >>and where am I supposed to place the new component?

    > No idea. But just follow the directions. There is nothing you
    > can destroy. Ie there are no dangerous mistakes you can make.
    > Mistakes, sure, but dangerous? no.
    >

    >>Many thanks. But things like this are exactly the kind of
    >>problems that persuades people to think that Linux is not
    >>reliable.

    >>Guido Milanese, Genoa, Italy

    I had a similar error message but just ignored it and carried on
    to see what would happen and found that the card works. There is
    some bug in the installation routine - just try it and see what
    happens.

    Syd

+ Reply to Thread