Upgraded kernel won't boot? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Upgraded kernel won't boot? - Mandrake ; I have a Mandriva 2007 RC2 installation with the 2.6.17-4legacy kernel. I wanted to upgrade to -5legacy as i needed the kernel sources to install the latest nvidia drivers. The -5legacy kernel has booted all of 2 times out of ...

  1. Upgraded kernel won't boot?

    I have a Mandriva 2007 RC2 installation with the 2.6.17-4legacy kernel. I
    wanted to upgrade to -5legacy as i needed the kernel sources to install the
    latest nvidia drivers.

    The -5legacy kernel has booted all of 2 times out of 20 tries. All the rest
    of the time it stops after setting the system time, and occasionally after
    reporting a couple of USB errors (linked to starting the mass storage
    driver?).

    It does not even get as far as starting the syslog so there are no other
    error messages I can report. The lilo entry looks right (it mirrors that
    of -4).

    What else could cause the problem.

    Sim

  2. Re: Upgraded kernel won't boot?

    On Saturday 02 December 2006 11:22, WeetHetNeet stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > I have a Mandriva 2007 RC2 installation with the 2.6.17-4legacy kernel. I
    > wanted to upgrade to -5legacy as i needed the kernel sources to install
    > the latest nvidia drivers.
    >
    > The -5legacy kernel has booted all of 2 times out of 20 tries. All the
    > rest of the time it stops after setting the system time, and occasionally
    > after reporting a couple of USB errors (linked to starting the mass
    > storage driver?).
    >
    > It does not even get as far as starting the syslog so there are no other
    > error messages I can report. The lilo entry looks right (it mirrors that
    > of -4).
    >
    > What else could cause the problem.

    Chipset, CPU... other hardware. Try booting with the /noapic/
    and/or /nolapic/ options and see what that says... ;-)

    P.S.: You _do_ of course know that an RC2 is not a production-ready system?

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Upgraded kernel won't boot?

    Aragorn wrote:

    >> What else could cause the problem.

    > Chipset, CPU... other hardware. *Try booting with the noapic
    > and/or nolapic options and see what that says... ;-)
    >
    > P.S.: You do of course know that an RC2 is not a production-ready system?

    Thanks for the suggestions.
    It seems to have something to do with my USB RF receiver for an nvidia
    remote control. If I unplug that then it seems to boot. Left in and I get
    various udv/usb errors. I've tried it in another usb port and that has
    helped so far but I'll have to see again over the next couple of days. I
    no longer have RC2 as everything (except kernel) had been upgraded.

+ Reply to Thread