Windows Vista - here at last! - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Windows Vista - here at last! - Mandrake ; Most of these groups are dead much like the software. alt.os.linux alt.os.linux.best dead alt.os.linux.caldera dead alt.os.linux.corel dead alt.os.linux.debian alt.os.linux.dial-up dead alt.os.linux.gentoo alt.os.linux.libranet alt.os.linux.lindows alt.os.linux.madrake dead alt.os.linux.mandrake.* (2) dead alt.os.linux.mandriva alt.os.linux.redhat alt.os.linux.slackware need users. alt.os.linux.smoothwall dead alt.os.linux.storm dead alt.os.linux.suse alt.os.linux.turbolinux Turbo ...

  1. Windows Vista - here at last!

    Most of these groups are dead much like the software.
    alt.os.linux
    alt.os.linux.best dead
    alt.os.linux.caldera dead
    alt.os.linux.corel dead
    alt.os.linux.debian
    alt.os.linux.dial-up dead
    alt.os.linux.gentoo
    alt.os.linux.libranet
    alt.os.linux.lindows
    alt.os.linux.madrake dead
    alt.os.linux.mandrake.* (2) dead
    alt.os.linux.mandriva
    alt.os.linux.redhat
    alt.os.linux.slackware need users.
    alt.os.linux.smoothwall dead
    alt.os.linux.storm dead
    alt.os.linux.suse
    alt.os.linux.turbolinux Turbo was fun a long time ago I think it was
    version 6.0

    Windows Vista - here at last

    Five years in the making, Microsoft's Windows Vista is being unveiled
    at last - the software giant's most significant product launch for 11
    years.

    So what's in it for you? Read all of silicon.com's coverage of the
    long-awaited operating system to find out everything you need to know:

    Ballmer ushers in the Vista era
    "We've built the highest-quality operating system we possibly can"

    $10bn Vista launch is Microsoft's biggest ever
    Early adopters speak...

    Long-awaited Windows Vista launches today
    The biggest launch of the decade, says Microsoft

    Cheat Sheet: Windows Vista
    The lowdown on Microsoft's new operating system

    Leader: Why Vista's going to be a hard sell
    Good looks aren't enough for businesses

    Photos: Vista behind the scenes
    The view from Redmond

    Vista security: Most vendors still working on tools
    Another reason to delay migration?

    Vista security: What's in it for you?
    Hoping this release will solve all your security headaches? Think again

    Five reasons to love (and hate) Windows Vista
    >From gadgets and search to hardware spec and troubled sleep

    Windows Vista: Start planning now
    Even if you don't plan to upgrade for years

    Windows Vista fails to convince CIOs
    CIO Jury: Most plan to wait until at least 2008 to upgrade

    Vista on its way to schools
    Government review in the pipeline

    Vista more popular with consumers than companies
    Too much bother for business?

    No Vista plans for more than half of European businesses
    And 20 per cent plan to wait up to two years

    Vista Christmas present from Gates and co
    Buy PCs now, get cheap upgrades later

    Dell "bullish" about Vista uptake
    Consumers and businesses will embrace new OS, says CTO

    Microsoft's Ozzie talks Vista, web 2.0 and SaaS
    The new world wide web order

    1980s
    There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.

    The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    to kill you.

    Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    **** up.

    http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    ____________________________
    ID signature
    Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
    Philip Davidson,
    10 Ronald Avenue
    West Ham
    E15 3AH
    East London
    Mobile phone 07906821566
    http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:55:07 -0800, home.home1 wrote:

    > Most of these groups are dead much like the software.
    > alt.os.linux
    > alt.os.linux.best dead
    > alt.os.linux.caldera dead
    > alt.os.linux.corel dead
    > alt.os.linux.debian
    > alt.os.linux.dial-up dead
    > alt.os.linux.gentoo
    > alt.os.linux.libranet
    > alt.os.linux.lindows
    > alt.os.linux.madrake dead
    > alt.os.linux.mandrake.* (2) dead
    > alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > alt.os.linux.redhat
    > alt.os.linux.slackware need users.
    > alt.os.linux.smoothwall dead
    > alt.os.linux.storm dead
    > alt.os.linux.suse
    > alt.os.linux.turbolinux Turbo was fun a long time ago I think it was
    > version 6.0
    >
    > Windows Vista - here at last

    Well, almost. You, as a consumer, cannot lay your hands on a copy to
    install until January 31st, as I read the news release.

    > Five years in the making, Microsoft's Windows Vista is being unveiled
    > at last - the software giant's most significant product launch for 11
    > years.
    >
    > So what's in it for you? Read all of silicon.com's coverage of the
    > long-awaited operating system to find out everything you need to know:
    >
    > Ballmer ushers in the Vista era
    > "We've built the highest-quality operating system we possibly can"

    Considering the source, that really says a lot.

    > $10bn Vista launch is Microsoft's biggest ever
    > Early adopters speak...
    >
    > Long-awaited Windows Vista launches today
    > The biggest launch of the decade, says Microsoft
    >
    > Cheat Sheet: Windows Vista
    > The lowdown on Microsoft's new operating system
    >
    > Leader: Why Vista's going to be a hard sell
    > Good looks aren't enough for businesses
    >
    > Photos: Vista behind the scenes
    > The view from Redmond
    >
    > Vista security: Most vendors still working on tools
    > Another reason to delay migration?
    >
    > Vista security: What's in it for you?
    > Hoping this release will solve all your security headaches? Think again

    I don't have any security headaches - I've been using Linux exclusively
    for three years.

    > Five reasons to love (and hate) Windows Vista
    >>From gadgets and search to hardware spec and troubled sleep

    > Windows Vista: Start planning now
    > Even if you don't plan to upgrade for years
    >
    > Windows Vista fails to convince CIOs
    > CIO Jury: Most plan to wait until at least 2008 to upgrade
    >
    > Vista on its way to schools
    > Government review in the pipeline
    >
    > Vista more popular with consumers than companies
    > Too much bother for business?
    >
    > No Vista plans for more than half of European businesses
    > And 20 per cent plan to wait up to two years
    >
    > Vista Christmas present from Gates and co
    > Buy PCs now, get cheap upgrades later
    >
    > Dell "bullish" about Vista uptake
    > Consumers and businesses will embrace new OS, says CTO
    >
    > Microsoft's Ozzie talks Vista, web 2.0 and SaaS
    > The new world wide web order
    >
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    > 1980s
    > There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    > days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    > U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.
    >

    > The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    > One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    > to kill you.
    >
    > Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    > **** up.
    >
    > http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    > It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    > ____________________________
    > ID signature
    > Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
    > Philip Davidson,
    > 10 Ronald Avenue
    > West Ham
    > E15 3AH
    > East London
    > Mobile phone 07906821566
    > http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:44:20 -0700, ray wrote:

    Please don't feed the trolls.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  4. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    imotgm wrote:

    > Please don't feed the trolls.

    Touché !
    --

    RLU #407952

  5. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    I have had a copy of windows longhorn for over a year
    renamed vista it's nothing special with the advancement of linux
    it won't be long before linux over takes it. for linux has come
    a long way in the three years i have been using it.

  6. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:03:58 -0600, imotgm wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:44:20 -0700, ray wrote:
    >

    > Please don't feed the trolls.

    Why not? At times it can be moderately entertaining.

  7. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    darklight wrote:

    > I have had a copy of windows longhorn for over a year
    > renamed vista it's nothing special with the advancement of linux
    > it won't be long before linux over takes it. for linux has come
    > a long way in the three years i have been using it.

    /"Vista"/ is about five years /behind/ the current Linux distros. Microsoft
    have only really released a set of skins and a "service pack" for XP. All
    the fundamental flaws of XP are carried over to Vista - despite their
    nonsense claims of a "fully rewritten codebase".

    Vista is unmaintainable spaghetti code of the worst kind, and all of
    the /real/ programmers - the ones capable of writing anything useful - left
    Microsoft years ago. All the old vulnerabilities remain - exploits that
    have existed since NT4 are /still/ viable!

    C.

  8. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    > My brain is as dead as this Vista thing.

    Tell us something we don't already know.

  9. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:55:07 -0800, home.home1 wrote:

    > Most of these groups are dead much like the software.

    {snip}

    Shakes head at troll.

  10. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    On Sunday 03 December 2006 06:13, Christopher Hunter stood up and addressed
    the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > darklight wrote:
    >
    >> I have had a copy of windows longhorn for over a year
    >> renamed vista it's nothing special with the advancement of linux
    >> it won't be long before linux over takes it. for linux has come
    >> a long way in the three years i have been using it.

    > /"Vista"/ is about five years /behind/ the current Linux distros.
    > Microsoft have only really released a set of skins and a "service pack"
    > for XP.

    Skins that are extremely harsh on the "required hardware" list... ;-)

    > All the fundamental flaws of XP are carried over to Vista - despite their
    > nonsense claims of a "fully rewritten codebase".

    Actually, what they considered "a full rewrite" is the procedure they
    followed for moving a few dependencies around in the code when it turned
    out that the original version - i.e. the Longhorn beta - was too kludgy to
    maintain.

    > Vista is unmaintainable spaghetti code of the worst kind, and all of
    > the /real/ programmers - the ones capable of writing anything useful -
    > left Microsoft years ago.

    It's not only a matter of "writing anything useful", but also of "being told
    what to write". Proprietary code does statistically have far more bugs -
    by the magnitudes - than code developed under the Open Source development
    model, but Windows will always be the worst operating system of all, not
    necessarily because of bugs in the code, but because of the design of the
    system itself.

    Microsoft's priorities with Windows are that it must do what they say it
    must do, regardless of the security and stability consequences of their
    design, and that it must get sold.

    In addition to that, Windows is in essence still only a single-user
    operating system, just like the operating systems it was based upon - i.e.
    MS-DOS (with the Windows 3.x GUI shell) and OS/2 - and will therefore never
    be able to compete technically with systems whose designs were derived from
    larger architectures, i.e. UNIX.

    > All the old vulnerabilities remain - exploits that have existed since NT4
    > are /still/ viable!

    Many of them are, because they're not code/patch-specific , i.e. they stem
    from the vulnerabilities of the single-user/no-security design. Windows
    has come a long way in terms of security features since its original design
    - i.e. Windows for DOS - but all those features are still only bolted on to
    the kernel and the system libraries. They're not _part_ of it, since they
    are *intended* to be circumvented.

    The simplest example is that the security of NT-based Windows versions is
    based upon the use of ACL's, and while the NTFS filesystem is the default
    choice in Windows now - this was not yet the case in NT 3.x and NT 4 -
    Windows does still support being installed on a FAT/FAT32 filesystem, which
    does not support ACL's.

    In other words, whatever security is built into Windows, it's bypassable.
    And any technically proficient malware writer knows that... ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  11. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    In Christopher Hunter:

    [Snip...]

    > /"Vista"/ is about five years /behind/ the current Linux distros.

    I booted a copy of kubuntu (Dapper) live-CD for a friend who has dabbled in
    Linux at home while suffering through The M$ Long March at work. He said it
    was amazing just how much better looking and faster kubuntu seemed than the
    Vista betas he'd seen. He also said he basically quit keeping up with Vista
    a few months ago because "the thrill was all gone" or somesuch.

    Mind you, this is the simple single CD live-CD kubuntu we're talking about.

    He was additionally amazed it was mailed to me without ANY cost or "piracy"
    restrictions. He planned to install kubuntu on one "obsolete" machine which
    which Vista wouldn't even TOUCH much less actually get off its ugly butt to
    install and do anything useful for anybody besides Monkey Boy.

    > Microsoft have only really released a set of skins and a "service pack"
    > for XP.

    There's a lot of shrillness in these wintard trolls lately. Here's why:

    http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/21597

    In short: Vista is a DUD YAWNER and everybody knows it. Especially anybody
    who has a business to run and not enough spare change to keep Monkey Boy's
    office furniture repaired.

  12. Re: Windows Vista - here at last!

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:
> [...]

    > The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    > One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    > to kill you.
    >
    > Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    > **** up.
    >
    > http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    > It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    > ____________________________
    > ID signature
    > Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
    > Philip Davidson,
    > 10 Ronald Avenue
    > West Ham
    > E15 3AH
    > East London
    > Mobile phone 07906821566
    > http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/

    Ballmer ushers in the Vista era
    "We've built the highest-quality operating system we possibly can"
    Unquote

    Reminds me of the Widnows/2000 launch. Same Ballmer said - dancing
    around - "The OS never to need a fixpack"

    Yes, they probably did their very best.

+ Reply to Thread