Doesn't this jerk ever give up? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Doesn't this jerk ever give up? - Mandrake ; Well, I was quite happy with my filters putting any drivel spewed out by home.home1@virgin straight into a big black hole. Unfortunately any replies he gets I also get. Short of 'killfiling' anyone who replies to his mindless wittering can ...

  1. Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Well, I was quite happy with my filters putting any drivel
    spewed out by home.home1@virgin straight into a big black
    hole. Unfortunately any replies he gets I also get. Short
    of 'killfiling' anyone who replies to his mindless wittering
    can anyone advise me if it's possible to get Thunderbird (ver
    1.5.0.8) to filter out a complete thread?

    Normally I'd ask this in a Mozilla/Thunderbird group but as
    we at Mandrake/Mandriva seem to be the current target of this
    prat, I thought I'd ask here first.

    Andy J.
    --
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  2. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:42:15 +0000, Andy J. wrote:

    > Well, I was quite happy with my filters putting any drivel
    > spewed out by home.home1@virgin straight into a big black
    > hole. Unfortunately any replies he gets I also get. Short
    > of 'killfiling' anyone who replies to his mindless wittering
    > can anyone advise me if it's possible to get Thunderbird (ver
    > 1.5.0.8) to filter out a complete thread?
    >
    > Normally I'd ask this in a Mozilla/Thunderbird group but as
    > we at Mandrake/Mandriva seem to be the current target of this
    > prat, I thought I'd ask here first.
    >
    > Andy J.

    Can't you just killfile the thread?

    --
    Linux: because I work with Windows, and that's bad enough.
    AOLM FAQ - http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html

  3. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 19:07:21 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > Can't you just killfile the thread?

    Failing that, killfile all crossposted messages. If the poster can't be
    bothered reading a message crossposted into more than three groups, why
    should you have to suffer?

    --
    Linux: because I work with Windows, and that's bad enough.
    AOLM FAQ - http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
    RLU #300033 - MDV 2006 - WindowMaker 0.92.0

  4. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Dave wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:42:15 +0000, Andy J. wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I was quite happy with my filters putting any drivel
    >> spewed out by home.home1@virgin straight into a big black
    >> hole. Unfortunately any replies he gets I also get. Short
    >> of 'killfiling' anyone who replies to his mindless wittering
    >> can anyone advise me if it's possible to get Thunderbird (ver
    >> 1.5.0.8) to filter out a complete thread?
    >>
    >> Normally I'd ask this in a Mozilla/Thunderbird group but as
    >> we at Mandrake/Mandriva seem to be the current target of this
    >> prat, I thought I'd ask here first.
    >>
    >> Andy J.

    > Can't you just killfile the thread?

    Well, I can press 'k' when a thread is highlighted and that will
    ignore the whole thread and make it read. If someone posts a
    new reply afterwards it shows up again and I again have to
    'ignore' it. I was hoping someone may know a way of filtering
    an entire thread started by a particular email address so that
    I don't receive any of it in the first place.

    Andy J. -- I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  5. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:18:03 +0000, Andy J. wrote:

    > Well, I can press 'k' when a thread is highlighted and that will
    > ignore the whole thread and make it read. If someone posts a
    > new reply afterwards it shows up again and I again have to
    > 'ignore' it. I was hoping someone may know a way of filtering
    > an entire thread started by a particular email address so that
    > I don't receive any of it in the first place.
    >
    > Andy J. -- I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

    I don't think that's possible with Thunderbird. After all, it really is
    only an email client, isn't it?

    --
    Linux: because I work with Windows, and that's bad enough.
    AOLM FAQ - http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
    RLU #300033 - MDV 2006 - WindowMaker 0.92.0

  6. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:42:15 +0000, Andy J. wrote:
    > Well, I was quite happy with my filters putting any drivel
    > spewed out by home.home1@virgin straight into a big black
    > hole. Unfortunately any replies he gets I also get. Short
    > of 'killfiling' anyone who replies to his mindless wittering
    > can anyone advise me if it's possible to get Thunderbird (ver
    > 1.5.0.8) to filter out a complete thread?

    See, that is the problem with just plonking abusive users instead of
    filing abuse reports with the offfender's ISP and Usenet news supplier.

    Yes, you kill threads using
    Subject contains embeds with the Taliban

    The above rule would kill a thread with subject of
    A BBC reporter embeds with the Taliban...As BBC announces that it is
    going to change it's name to DTV(Dhimmi TV).

    The downside to the path you are taking is you are forced to limp
    because home's leg is broke.

    You will have to keep adding each new thread and suffer slower and
    slower article selection speed due to more and more filter rules you
    have to add.

    > Normally I'd ask this in a Mozilla/Thunderbird group but as
    > we at Mandrake/Mandriva seem to be the current target of this
    > prat, I thought I'd ask here first.

    No, it appears the malware bot is posting to loads of other newsgroups.
    Just one example
    soc.culture.british, alt.politics.british, uk.religion.islam,
    soc.culture.europe, alt.politics.usa

    Yes you can have the message filter set to kill threads by picking
    Subject contains key word to trigger on.

    Pick a test group and use it to play with your Message Filter rule to
    help you get a feel just what Thunderbird will allow you to do.

    That is one of the reasons I use slrn as my news reader. It allows me
    to create rules using any of the header fields.
    Other reason, you can set when you want the rule to expire and use the
    slrn cleanscore program to clear expired rules from the slrn score
    file.

  7. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Andy J. wrote:

    > Well, I was quite happy with my filters putting any drivel
    > spewed out by home.home1@virgin straight into a big black
    > hole. Unfortunately any replies he gets I also get. Short
    > of 'killfiling' anyone who replies to his mindless wittering
    > can anyone advise me if it's possible to get Thunderbird (ver
    > 1.5.0.8) to filter out a complete thread?
    >
    > Normally I'd ask this in a Mozilla/Thunderbird group but as
    > we at Mandrake/Mandriva seem to be the current target of this
    > prat, I thought I'd ask here first.
    >
    > Andy J.

    Install leafnode have it download the articles in the background so they are
    ready locally when you want. You can then use the filters on leafnode to
    filter at the time of download. This will greatly increase your reading
    speed and you will not have the filter slowdown Bit is talking about. I
    don't ever see anything posted by "home.home1@virgin" or anyone that
    follows up to him. All done in the background ready and waiting. You can
    create a cron job to have leafnode download and post your replies on a
    regular basis...
    --
    In prep for a move and the need to be more mobile, I have changed my usenet
    server. If anyone has any filters based on my posting host, you should

  8. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:40:40 -0800, left_coast wrote:

    > Install leafnode have it download the articles in the background so they are
    > ready locally when you want. You can then use the filters on leafnode to
    > filter at the time of download. This will greatly increase your reading
    > speed and you will not have the filter slowdown Bit is talking
    > about.

    Just to round out the discussion to provide lurkers with food for thought.

    I can completely agree with you as it applies to the first activation
    of the news reader.

    Downside items which may or may not apply to a give user:
    1 it is longer in a real time mode,
    2 a little more labor getting to file to add rule and rule cleanup,
    3 extra disk space to hold downloaded articles.
    That can bite you if you have download quotas.

    Real time example: You post reqested information about a problem you
    are having and are re-polling your leafnode feed looking for a
    response to your post.

    As I misunderstand it, you now have to wait for the next leafnode
    fetch cycle and it's filter time before you can read a new article
    posted at the news server.

  9. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On 2006-12-01, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:40:40 -0800, left_coast wrote:
    >
    >> Install leafnode have it download the articles in the background so they are
    >> ready locally when you want. You can then use the filters on leafnode to
    >> filter at the time of download. This will greatly increase your reading
    >> speed and you will not have the filter slowdown Bit is talking
    >> about.

    > Just to round out the discussion to provide lurkers with food for thought.
    >
    > I can completely agree with you as it applies to the first activation
    > of the news reader.
    >
    > Downside items which may or may not apply to a give user:
    > 1 it is longer in a real time mode,
    > 2 a little more labor getting to file to add rule and rule cleanup,
    > 3 extra disk space to hold downloaded articles.
    > That can bite you if you have download quotas.
    >

    > Real time example: You post reqested information about a problem you
    > are having and are re-polling your leafnode feed looking for a
    > response to your post.
    >
    > As I misunderstand it, you now have to wait for the next leafnode
    > fetch cycle and it's filter time before you can read a new article
    > posted at the news server.

    I run fetchnews (the command that posts from and pulls to the Leafnode
    spool) manually, from a one-click launcher, as and when I feel like it.
    Could be as often as every time I post, if I was really anxious. That is
    about as quick as 'synchronising' an 'off-line' newsreader. It does mean
    that I 'pull' the bodies for articles which I end up never reading, but
    that is far outweighed by the convenience. The size of my local spool is
    easily manageable, as I don't go to binary groups and I set a global 90
    day retention. Leafnode filters in real time, as the headers arrive.

    Maintaining the Leafnode 'filter' file (a simple killfile, in fact) is no
    hardship; mine is about 30 lines that kill the vast bulk of the stuff I
    don't want to see. I last edited it about a month ago.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  10. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:40:40 -0800, left_coast wrote:
    >
    >> Install leafnode have it download the articles in the background so they are
    >> ready locally when you want. You can then use the filters on leafnode to
    >> filter at the time of download. This will greatly increase your reading
    >> speed and you will not have the filter slowdown Bit is talking
    >> about.

    > Just to round out the discussion to provide lurkers with food for thought.
    >
    > I can completely agree with you as it applies to the first activation
    > of the news reader.
    >
    > Downside items which may or may not apply to a give user:
    > 1 it is longer in a real time mode,
    > 2 a little more labor getting to file to add rule and rule cleanup,
    > 3 extra disk space to hold downloaded articles.
    > That can bite you if you have download quotas.
    >

    > Real time example: You post reqested information about a problem you
    > are having and are re-polling your leafnode feed looking for a
    > response to your post.
    >
    > As I misunderstand it, you now have to wait for the next leafnode
    > fetch cycle and it's filter time before you can read a new article
    > posted at the news server.

    Oh well, I've got quite used to Thunderbird so I'll just put up with
    this idiot's ramblings for now. After all, in my experience, when
    people like that fail to get any attention they generally go away and
    find someone else to annoy. Meanwhile I'll have a look a Leafnode. At
    the moment I'm not sure what it is but I'll do a little digging to
    find out more. Thanks again for all the advice guys.

    Andy J. -- I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  11. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:00:16 +0000, Andy J. wrote:

    > Oh well, I've got quite used to Thunderbird so I'll just put up with
    > this idiot's ramblings for now. After all, in my experience, when
    > people like that fail to get any attention they generally go away and
    > find someone else to annoy.

    hehe, I think not.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,340 for home.home1@virgin (0.28 seconds)

    > Meanwhile I'll have a look a Leafnode.

    It is quite a plus for dialup users who could use it to pull articles
    via a batch job an hour or so before they get home/wake up.

  12. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Andy J. schreef:

    > Oh well, I've got quite used to Thunderbird so I'll just put up with
    > this idiot's ramblings for now. After all, in my experience, when
    > people like that fail to get any attention they generally go away and
    > find someone else to annoy.

    I agree that it would be best to ignore him completely. He must be a
    very lonely guy, lets keep it that way...

  13. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:18:03 +0000, Andy J. wrote:

    > Well, I can press 'k' when a thread is highlighted and that will
    > ignore the whole thread and make it read. If someone posts a
    > new reply afterwards it shows up again and I again have to
    > 'ignore' it. I was hoping someone may know a way of filtering
    > an entire thread started by a particular email address so that
    > I don't receive any of it in the first place.

    You'll have to use a real newsreader to get that function. I recommend
    Pan (for GUI), or slrn (for CLI).

  14. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:31:12 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > You'll have to use a real newsreader to get that function. I recommend
    > Pan (for GUI), or slrn (for CLI).

    .... or Slrn whilst with a terminal window open in a GUI as well.

    See, if the graphics drivers installation goes wrong, or the X server
    fails for whatever reason, you're dumped back to the CLI. Pan's no use
    there, is it?

    --
    Linux: because I work with Windows, and that's bad enough.
    AOLM FAQ - http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
    RLU #300033 - MDV 2006 - WindowMaker 0.92.0

  15. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:40:40 -0800, left_coast wrote:
    >
    >> Install leafnode have it download the articles in the background so they
    >> are ready locally when you want. You can then use the filters on leafnode
    >> to filter at the time of download. This will greatly increase your
    >> reading speed and you will not have the filter slowdown Bit is talking
    >> about.

    > Just to round out the discussion to provide lurkers with food for thought.
    >
    > I can completely agree with you as it applies to the first activation
    > of the news reader.
    >
    > Downside items which may or may not apply to a give user:
    > 1 it is longer in a real time mode,
    > 2 a little more labor getting to file to add rule and rule cleanup,
    > 3 extra disk space to hold downloaded articles.
    > That can bite you if you have download quotas.
    >

    > Real time example: You post reqested information about a problem you
    > are having and are re-polling your leafnode feed looking for a
    > response to your post.
    >
    > As I misunderstand it,
    > > you now have to wait for the next leafnode

    > fetch cycle and it's filter time before you can read a new article
    > posted at the news server.

    One minute is the most it adds the way I have it set up. That is ALL that is
    added to the propagation time already on use. The time, bother saved by not
    having to wade though the tons of BS here is well worth it. There are also
    other advantages to using leafnode, certainly if one pulls from binary
    groups. If real time use of of binary groups is not required, have leafnode
    pull from binary groups during times the users are not typically using the
    Internet. But also, for parents or corporations that want to keep kids from
    reading certain news groups it is easy to set up leafnode not to carry the
    groups.
    --
    In prep for a move and the need to be more mobile, I have changed my usenet
    server. If anyone has any filters based on my posting host, you should
    update them now.

  16. Re: Doesn't this jerk ever give up?

    Maxim Heijndijk wrote:

    > I agree that it would be best to ignore him completely. He must be a
    > very lonely guy, lets keep it that way...

    No problem with me, it is a valid course of action that bit is dismissing
    because of personal bias.
    --
    In prep for a move and the need to be more mobile, I have changed my usenet
    server. If anyone has any filters based on my posting host, you should
    update them now.

+ Reply to Thread