A quick tour around Windows Vista - Mandrake

This is a discussion on A quick tour around Windows Vista - Mandrake ; Software giant Microsoft released Windows Vista to its business customers on 30 November. The new version of the venerable Windows operating system has been more than five years in development and much hangs on its success. Below is a brief ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. A quick tour around Windows Vista

    Software giant Microsoft released Windows Vista to its business
    customers on 30 November.

    The new version of the venerable Windows operating system has been more
    than five years in development and much hangs on its success.

    Below is a brief tour of Vista's new looks and a guide to some of the
    key features in the software. Home users will be able to get their
    hands on the various versions of Vista in January 2007.

    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    1980s
    There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.

    The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    to kill you.

    Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    **** up.

    http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    ____________________________
    ID signature
    Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
    Philip Davidson,
    10 Ronald Avenue
    West Ham
    E15 3AH
    East London
    Mobile phone 07906821566
    http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    When observing _home.home1@virgin.net's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    1/12/2006 10:52 PM perpend:

    > Software giant Microsoft released Windows Vista to its business
    > customers on 30 November.

    This is a linux newsgroup. What do we care about Micro$tuft? Crawl back
    under your rock you dirty trolling Micro$tuft $erf.

    And before you attack me for using Windoze, unfortunately, the software
    work supplies me is Windoze-based, which I have to use when I am at
    home. Unfortunately, the Printing Industry still uses Adobe products ...

    Personally, I do as much as I can on Mandriva on my notebook and Ubuntu
    on my desktop. The GIMP, Scribus and Inkspace are making leaps and
    bounds! It wont be too long and I'll be able to drop my Windoze
    partition for good: especially now that Micro$tuft Windoze Vi$ta is
    about to be loosed and I don't want to have to fork out more cash for it!

    Get a life, your posts are nothing but boring drivel. My four year old
    is more articulate than you.

    Just do yourself a favour and get off mummy's PC before she gets Daddy
    to spank your bottom for playing in the Home Office.

    I'll be adding you to my kill-file you trolling wad!

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”

  3. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    krONik wrote:

    > 1/12/2006 10:52 PM perpend:

    203-158-38-56.dyn.iinet.net.au
    You are not using a works computer you are using a home computer
    your access to the Internet is from a Internet provider who provides
    access to home users.

    And yes you are using Windows

[...]

  4. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    "krONik" wrote in message

    > And before you attack me for using Windoze, unfortunately, the software
    > work supplies me is Windoze-based, which I have to use when I am at home.

    Just as a matter of interest, are you using Wine, or do you have Windows
    installed in a separate partition or machine?

  5. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    > krONik wrote:
    >
    >> 1/12/2006 10:52 PM perpend:
    >>

    > 203-158-38-56.dyn.iinet.net.au
    > You are not using a works computer you are using a home computer
    > your access to the Internet is from a Internet provider who provides
    > access to home users.
    >
    > And yes you are using Windows

    krONik already wrote that he was at home using Billy Boys software, you
    don't appear to be able to read. No surprise there Doris.

  6. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    SomeBloke wrote:

    > home.home1@virgin.net wrote:
    >

    > > krONik wrote:
    > >
    > >> 1/12/2006 10:52 PM perpend:
    > >>

    > > 203-158-38-56.dyn.iinet.net.au
    > > You are not using a works computer you are using a home computer
    > > your access to the Internet is from a Internet provider who provides
    > > access to home users.
    > >
    > > And yes you are using Windows
    > >

    > krONik already wrote that he was at home using Billy Boys software, you
    > don't appear to be able to read. No surprise there Doris.

    Are you writing to Doris? Haha.
    you do not understand the English language the written English
    language.. No surprise there.
    Should I finish with Doris also? because you appear to be writing to
    somebody called Doris.

    Doris

[...]

  7. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    When observing _Mark Rae's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 2/12/2006 12:12
    AM perpend:

    > Just as a matter of interest, are you using Wine, or do you have Windows
    > installed in a separate partition or machine?

    Hey Mark. No, I have not managed to get WINE running properly yet. I
    have installed it from time to time, but, never really managed to get it
    together.

    I'm no programmmer, so my interest in Linux is really just for the sake
    of things. Plus security, plus FOSS etc., It is a bit of fun, but, day
    by day its getting possible to do more on Linux.

    As I am doing some image manipulation over the weekend, I am using
    PhotoShop on Windoze.

    Getting WINE up and running is a project for the future ... after all,
    it has not gotten to 1.0 status yet, or have I slept through that milestone?

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  8. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    When observing _Mark Rae's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 2/12/2006 12:12
    AM perpend:

    > Just as a matter of interest, are you using Wine, or do you have Windows
    > installed in a separate partition or machine?

    Sorry, I left this out, but, I have Ubuntu/XP on my Desktop PC, Mandriva
    2007/XP on my notebook.

    Having problems with getting a display on my notebook though ... and
    left my latest DAYAM copy of Linux Format @ Work! This is discussed in
    the review of the OS, so, I will have to wait until Monday before I can
    look into that.

    I just wanted to suss out the XGL/Compiz(or Beryl - whatever the correct
    combo in Mandriva 2007 is) and trying to nut this out in Ubuntu has done
    my head in. Apparently, it Just Works (tm) in Mandriva 2007. Assuming
    you can get a desktop in the first place.

    Trying to find an answer online in these NG's is frustrated by idiots
    like home.home - the frustration at having to wade through that useless
    Windoze propaganda just made me a bit intemperate I suppose.

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  9. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    When observing _home.home1@virgin.net's_ postulating to Cyberia, on
    2/12/2006 12:48 AM perpend:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    >>> 203-158-38-56.dyn.iinet.net.au
    >>> You are not using a works computer you are using a home computer
    >>> your access to the Internet is from a Internet provider who provides
    >>> access to home users.
    >>>
    >>> And yes you are using Windows

    No **** Sherlock! Fool, I already stated that in my previous post. Can't
    read and no brains ... double whammy hey??!?

    So again I say to you, get off your Mother's computer before you do
    something REALLY foolish, like give her machine a virus.

    >> krONik already wrote that he was at home using Billy Boys software, you
    >> don't appear to be able to read. No surprise there Doris.

  10. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    "krONik" wrote in message

    > Hey Mark. No, I have not managed to get WINE running properly yet. I have
    > installed it from time to time, but, never really managed to get it
    > together.

    I've been using SuSE for a few months now, but recently installed Ubuntu
    edgy on my Mac Mini.

    I tried to install Wine earlier today, but the \binary-powerpc folder is
    missing from the download server...

  11. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:52:34 -0800, home.home1 got out the hammer and
    chisel and etched in the wall:

    > Software giant Microsoft released Windows Vista to its business
    > customers on 30 November.
    >
    > The new version of the venerable Windows operating system has been more
    > than five years in development and much hangs on its success.
    >
    > Below is a brief tour of Vista's new looks and a guide to some of the
    > key features in the software. Home users will be able to get their
    > hands on the various versions of Vista in January 2007.

    So why aren't you using it?

    --
    kai

    a turn signal is a statement, not a request

  12. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:03:04 +0000, PerfectReign wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:52:34 -0800, home.home1 got out the hammer and
    > chisel and etched in the wall:
    >
    >> Software giant Microsoft released Windows Vista to its business
    >> customers on 30 November.
    >>
    >> The new version of the venerable Windows operating system has been more
    >> than five years in development and much hangs on its success.
    >>
    >> Below is a brief tour of Vista's new looks and a guide to some of the
    >> key features in the software. Home users will be able to get their
    >> hands on the various versions of Vista in January 2007.
    >>

    > So why aren't you using it?

    Why ask such a simple question? He has looked at the site, valued its
    worth and taken the relative action.

    --
    Neil
    'The moving finger writes and having writ still makes the same mistakes'.

  13. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:25:54 -0600, Neil Ellwood got out the hammer and
    chisel and etched in the wall:

    > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:03:04 +0000, PerfectReign wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:52:34 -0800, home.home1 got out the hammer and
    >> chisel and etched in the wall:
    >>
    >>> Software giant Microsoft released Windows Vista to its business
    >>> customers on 30 November.
    >>>
    >>> The new version of the venerable Windows operating system has been more
    >>> than five years in development and much hangs on its success.
    >>>
    >>> Below is a brief tour of Vista's new looks and a guide to some of the
    >>> key features in the software. Home users will be able to get their
    >>> hands on the various versions of Vista in January 2007.
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6160327.stm
    >>>

    >> So why aren't you using it?
    >>

    > Why ask such a simple question? He has looked at the site, valued its
    > worth and taken the relative action.

    lol!

    --
    kai

    a turn signal is a statement, not a request

  14. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    When observing _Mark Rae's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 2/12/2006 2:31 AM
    perpend:

    > "krONik" wrote in message
    >
    >> Hey Mark. No, I have not managed to get WINE running properly yet. I have
    >> installed it from time to time, but, never really managed to get it
    >> together.

    > I've been using SuSE for a few months now, but recently installed Ubuntu
    > edgy on my Mac Mini.
    >
    > I tried to install Wine earlier today, but the \binary-powerpc folder is
    > missing from the download server...

    Well if it isnt one thing its another with WINE. I'm just waiting until
    it hits 1.0. Then I will have another play with it ...

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    “Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!”
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 – 1996]

  15. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    krONik

    When observing _Mark Rae's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 2/12/2006 2:31
    AM
    perpend:

    > "krONik" wrote in message
    >
    >> Hey Mark. No, I have not managed to get WINE running properly yet. I have
    >> installed it from time to time, but, never really managed to get it
    >> together.

    > I've been using SuSE for a few months now, but recently installed Ubuntu
    > edgy on my Mac Mini.
    >
    > I tried to install Wine earlier today, but the \binary-powerpc folder is
    > missing from the download server...

    Well if it isnt one thing its another with WINE. I'm just waiting until

    it hits 1.0. Then I will have another play with it ...

    --
    Regards: *krONik* =8^)
    "Somewhere ... something *incredible* is waiting to be known!"
    Dr Carl Sagan [1939 - 1996]

  16. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    "krONik" wrote in message

    >> I tried to install Wine earlier today, but the \binary-powerpc folder is
    >> missing from the download server...

    > Well if it isnt one thing its another with WINE. I'm just waiting until it
    > hits 1.0. Then I will have another play with it ...

    Unfortunately, Wine won't run on the PowerPC architecture, so I won't be
    installing it on my Mac Mini at all... :-(

  17. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    krONik wrote:
    > When observing _Mark Rae's_ postulating to Cyberia, on 2/12/2006 12:12
    > AM perpend:
    >
    >> Just as a matter of interest, are you using Wine, or do you have
    >> Windows installed in a separate partition or machine?

    > Sorry, I left this out, but, I have Ubuntu/XP on my Desktop PC, Mandriva
    > 2007/XP on my notebook.
    >
    > Having problems with getting a display on my notebook though ... and
    > left my latest DAYAM copy of Linux Format @ Work! This is discussed in
    > the review of the OS, so, I will have to wait until Monday before I can
    > look into that.
    >
    > I just wanted to suss out the XGL/Compiz(or Beryl - whatever the correct
    > combo in Mandriva 2007 is) and trying to nut this out in Ubuntu has done
    > my head in. Apparently, it Just Works (tm) in Mandriva 2007. Assuming
    > you can get a desktop in the first place.
    >
    > Trying to find an answer online in these NG's is frustrated by idiots
    > like home.home - the frustration at having to wade through that useless
    > Windoze propaganda just made me a bit intemperate I suppose.

    pop over to the mag's forum then.

    Ram

  18. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    On Saturday 02 December 2006 12:01, Mark Rae stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > "krONik" wrote in message
    >
    >>> I tried to install Wine earlier today, but the \binary-powerpc folder is
    >>> missing from the download server...

    >> Well if it isnt one thing its another with WINE. I'm just waiting until
    >> it hits 1.0. Then I will have another play with it ...

    > Unfortunately, Wine won't run on the PowerPC architecture, so I won't be
    > installing it on my Mac Mini at all... :-(

    With a little luck, someone over at the FSF may do a port for the PPC and
    call it "beer" or something. ;-)

    That is of course if you really do need a Windows emulator, for which I see
    no reason whatsoever. I already find it a disgrace that Apple allowed for
    Bootcamp to exist and convert their Intel-based machines - which run a
    quite decent operating system by themselves - to be assimilated by
    Billgatus of Borg as well...

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  19. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    Ram wrote:
    > krONik wrote:

    >> Having problems with getting a display on my notebook though ... and
    >> left my latest DAYAM copy of Linux Format @ Work! This is discussed in
    >> the review of the OS, so, I will have to wait until Monday before I
    >> can look into that.

    Well, a couple of generous MDV Guru's provided me with info ... now it
    boots up no problems! I might add that it beats the heck out of Windoze
    AND Ubuntu in its boot up time. I cant believe how little time it takes
    to get to the KDE desktop!

    I am VERY impressed and would like to congrats the MDV Team on a superb
    product!

    >> I just wanted to suss out the XGL/Compiz(or Beryl - whatever the
    >> correct combo in Mandriva 2007 is) and trying to nut this out in
    >> Ubuntu has done my head in. Apparently, it Just Works (tm) in Mandriva
    >> 2007. Assuming you can get a desktop in the first place.

    Although I have yet to tackle this, I must say that the KDE desktop is
    gorgeous. As these technologies are still experimental, if I cant get
    them to work just yet, then so be it.

    I'll continue to have a fiddle with it and see what happens.

    > pop over to the mag's forum then.
    >
    > Ram

    It's an excellent mag and no doubt its forums are just as good.

    --
    Regards: *krONik*
    "Somewhere ... *something incredible* is waiting to be known!"

  20. Re: A quick tour around Windows Vista

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    > krONik wrote:
    >
    >> 1/12/2006 10:52 PM perpend:
    >>

    > 203-158-38-56.dyn.iinet.net.au
    > You are not using a works computer you are using a home computer
    > your access to the Internet is from a Internet provider who provides
    > access to home users.
    >
    > And yes you are using Windows

    A ****ing marble has more intelligence than you. Do the world a favor and
    kill yourself, you ****tard.