Mandriva One - More - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva One - More - Mandrake ; In addition to not showing a trash can icon nor full kmix sources showing, I've found it will not recognise my usb flash memory plug. Both 2006 and 2007 did on the same machine....

  1. Mandriva One - More

    In addition to not showing a trash can icon nor full kmix sources showing,
    I've found it will not recognise my usb flash memory plug. Both 2006 and
    2007 did on the same machine.

  2. Re: Mandriva One - More

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:49:50 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > In addition to not showing a trash can icon nor full kmix sources showing,
    > I've found it will not recognise my usb flash memory plug. Both 2006 and
    > 2007 did on the same machine.

    Why use that piece of ****? If you want to use Mandriva, then use the
    "real" version. Live CD's are for lamers.

  3. Re: Mandriva One - More

    admin@cox.net
    Abuse reported. Also forwarded to the newsgroup.

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:49:50 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    > In addition to not showing a trash can icon nor full kmix sources showing,
    > I've found it will not recognise my usb flash memory plug. Both 2006 and
    > 2007 did on the same machine.

    Why use that piece of ****? If you want to use Mandriva, then use the
    "real" version. Live CD's are for lamers.

  4. Re: Mandriva One - More

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:20:14 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:49:50 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> In addition to not showing a trash can icon nor full kmix sources showing,
    >> I've found it will not recognise my usb flash memory plug. Both 2006 and
    >> 2007 did on the same machine.

    > Why use that piece of ****? If you want to use Mandriva, then use the
    > "real" version. Live CD's are for lamers.

    Well:

    2006 couldn't handle an Epson RX700
    2007 could handle the printer but could not get sound working
    Knoppix 5.1 wouldn't boot
    kbuntu 6.10 offered screen sizes of 640 x 480 to 800 x 600
    Mandriva One in live mode was fine
    Mandriva One installed had the problems referred to above and thought my
    Quickcam was a microphone. Lord knows if this will ever work under Linux.

    Now, how was your remark supposed to help?

    If I sound touchy it is because lightening in the UK this weekend
    knocked out my ADSL router at my home and destroyed my server drive
    snd the clone it was being copied to at my office! I'll get over it.

  5. Re: Mandriva One - More

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:21:14 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

    >> Why use that piece of ****? If you want to use Mandriva, then use the
    >> "real" version. Live CD's are for lamers.

    > 2006 couldn't handle an Epson RX700

    Of course it could, if you configured CUPS properly.

    > 2007 could handle the printer but could not get sound working

    Nonsense.

    > Knoppix 5.1 wouldn't boot

    Hard to believe.

    > kbuntu 6.10 offered screen sizes of 640 x 480 to 800 x 600

    Sounds like you didn't properly configure your vidcard/monitor.

    > Now, how was your remark supposed to help?

    It was supposed to steer you to a proper install of Mandriva.

    > If I sound touchy it is because lightening in the UK this weekend
    > knocked out my ADSL router at my home and destroyed my server drive
    > snd the clone it was being copied to at my office! I'll get over it.

    Unplug stuff during (before) lightning storms.

  6. Re: Mandriva One - More

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > If I sound touchy it is because lightening in the UK this weekend
    > knocked out my ADSL router at my home and destroyed my server drive
    > snd the clone it was being copied to at my office! I'll get over it.

    *Don't* get suckered into buying spurious "lightning protection" nonsense.
    If you want to know how to protect your gear in future, drop me a line (and
    it doesn't involve "unplugging the equipment during (before) storms"!

    Chris

  7. Re: Mandriva One - More

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:42:33 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:21:14 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >>> Why use that piece of ****? If you want to use Mandriva, then use the
    >>> "real" version. Live CD's are for lamers.

    >> 2006 couldn't handle an Epson RX700

    > Of course it could, if you configured CUPS properly.

    I don't seem to have a problem with the remaining seven systems and five
    printers that I manage. The sysyem is convinced that test pages et al are
    being successfully sent but the printer doesn't agree.

    >> 2007 could handle the printer but could not get sound working

    > Nonsense.
    >
    >> Knoppix 5.1 wouldn't boot

    > Hard to believe.

    I agree. This is the only system that has done this. I might try versions
    3.7 and 4 if I get time.

    >> kbuntu 6.10 offered screen sizes of 640 x 480 to 800 x 600

    > Sounds like you didn't properly configure your vidcard/monitor.

    The option isn't provided.

    >> Now, how was your remark supposed to help?

    > It was supposed to steer you to a proper install of Mandriva.

    I've been installing various versions on Mandrake/Mandriva for several
    years. Yesterday I installed 10.1, 10.2 (2005 LE) and 2006 onto different
    drives, plugged into the same machine. All behaved differently. The latest
    2006, finally produced dreadful wobble on the screen after I had tried
    about a dozen different options. That was the best! The correct driver for
    the graphics card and monitor had been selected but with miserable results.
    Knoppix of courswe, got it right first time.

    >> If I sound touchy it is because lightening in the UK this weekend
    >> knocked out my ADSL router at my home and destroyed my server drive snd
    >> the clone it was being copied to at my office! I'll get over it.

    > Unplug stuff during (before) lightning storms.

  8. Re: Mandriva One - More

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I've been installing various versions on Mandrake/Mandriva for several
    > years. Yesterday I installed 10.1, 10.2 (2005 LE) and 2006 onto different
    > drives, plugged into the same machine. All behaved differently. The latest
    > 2006, finally produced dreadful wobble on the screen after I had tried
    > about a dozen different options. That was the best! The correct driver for
    > the graphics card and monitor had been selected but with miserable results.
    > Knoppix of courswe, got it right first time.

    Did it? Or did it simply opt for the default when it did not
    know what else to do and load a VESA driver? That will work
    with most cards....but may not provide all the capabilities your
    actual card offers.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: Mandriva One - More

    El Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:20:14 -0600, Dan C escribió:

    > Why use that piece of ****? If you want to use Mandriva, then use the
    > "real" version. Live CD's are for lamers.

    I can't speak for the OP, but Mandriva One is my most-used tool to get
    Windows users to give Linux a try. Call it names if you want, but it is
    the most effective way I've found to get people to consider Linux.

    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras

+ Reply to Thread