How to connect to PeoplePC? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on How to connect to PeoplePC? - Mandrake ; Please help. I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux, but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account thru dialup. If I don't get him online soon he (& his wife & daughter) are going to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Please help.
    I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux,
    but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account
    thru dialup.

    If I don't get him online soon he (& his wife & daughter)
    are going to insist that I reinstall MSWindows...!
    Please don't let this happen folks.

    No, he will not switch to another ISP.
    He would sooner switch the OS.
    He gets the PeoplePC account at a big discount
    through his employer.
    He's no techie, he cannot afford to pay more and
    he just wants it to work.

    Here's the setup:

    We're using an external modem.
    The modem works fine in MDV.
    Kppp detects the Modem, dials, sends the ID & password.
    ID and Password pair are rejected.

    Yes, I have confirmed that the ID and password are correct.
    PeoplePC tech support confirms it and I can log into their
    account through my broadband connection.

    Yes, I have tried WvDial... same result.

    Yes, I have Googled my fingers off, and I will continue to.

    There has got to be a trick to getting on PeoplePC that I am missing.
    Surely someone has already overcome these hurdles and logged into
    PeoplePC through Linux.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  2. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:43:19 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Please help.
    > I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux,
    > but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account
    > thru dialup.

    Well using kppp I assume you have queried the modem, added option
    debug, clicked log so we can see what is going on.
    do make sure when you post results to hide id/pw.

  3. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:43:19 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >>Please help.
    >>I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux,
    >>but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account
    >>thru dialup.

    > Well using kppp I assume you have queried the modem, added option
    > debug, clicked log so we can see what is going on.
    > do make sure when you post results to hide id/pw.

    Here is the log that you requested:

    Nov 25 21:07:56 xxxx pppd[4289]: pppd 2.4.3 started by xxxx, uid 500
    using channel 2
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx" password=]
    rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    PAP authentication failed
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    Connection terminated.
    Modem hangup
    Exit.

    When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    I get this:

    UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com

    login: xxxxx
    password:

    Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  4. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:20:11 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    click Customize pppd Arguments button
    in the Customize pppd Arguments popup enter
    debug
    asyncmap a0000

    > sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx" password=]
    > rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    > PAP authentication failed
    > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]

    Yeah, I did that for about 40 minutes until I figured out I realy did
    not have the correct values.

    Do delete both login and pw.
    Check caps key, enter login value click password box and add it and
    try again.

  5. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:20:11 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >> ]

    > click Customize pppd Arguments button
    > in the Customize pppd Arguments popup enter
    > debug
    > asyncmap a0000
    >

    >> sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx" password=]
    >> rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    >> PAP authentication failed
    >> sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]

    > Yeah, I did that for about 40 minutes until I figured out I realy did
    > not have the correct values.
    >
    > Do delete both login and pw.
    > Check caps key, enter login value click password box and add it and
    > try again.

    Still did not connect. Here's the new log:

    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: pppd 2.4.3 started by xxxxx, uid 500
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: using channel 4
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: Using interface ppp0
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 0xa0000> ]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 0xa0000> ]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx"
    password=]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: PAP authentication failed
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to
    authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    Nov 25 21:47:36 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Nov 25 21:47:36 xxxxx pppd[4350]: Connection terminated.
    Nov 25 21:47:36 xxxxx pppd[4350]: Exit.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  6. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:50:51 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > Still did not connect. Here's the new log:
    >
    > Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    Well, it says to use pap, I would get back in and find the chap/pap
    selection and try it. If fails, I would pick chap

    > Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx"
    > password=]

    Yep, I kept ignoring the message because I just knew I had them right.
    Finaly erased and typed them again and it worked. I was not using your ISP.

  7. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:50:51 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >>Still did not connect. Here's the new log:
    >>
    >>Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >> ]

    > Well, it says to use pap, I would get back in and find the chap/pap
    > selection and try it. If fails, I would pick chap
    >

    >>Nov 25 21:47:35 xxxxx pppd[4350]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx"
    >>password=]

    > Yep, I kept ignoring the message because I just knew I had them right.
    > Finaly erased and typed them again and it worked. I was not using your ISP.

    I really have not ignored the message nor you.
    I have typed and retyped the ID and PW.

    I had tried CHAP before, but I tried it again.
    FWIIW I did have it on PAP/CHAP setting last time.
    And FWIIW PeoplePC tech supt claims that they are using PAP
    (maybe it is different in India though).

    Here is the log using CHAP:

    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: pppd 2.4.3 started by xxxxx, uid 0
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: using channel 10
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: Using interface ppp0
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 0xa0000> ]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 0xa0000> ]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
    ]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2
    ]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1
    , name = ""]
    Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: sent [CHAP Response id=0x1
    <0883475e33f8eacb23d038829d6f7b8b>, name = "xxxxx"]
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [CHAP Failure id=0x1 ""]
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: CHAP authentication failed
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to
    authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: Connection terminated.
    Nov 25 22:34:34 xxxxx pppd[4932]: Exit.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  8. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:36:25 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    Ok, still asking for pap, so we'll take their word for it,
    since chap failed.

    You log does not suggest any problems to me, other than login/pw
    incorrect.

    If it were me, I would click up a terminal
    su - root
    mcc

    and get into the network connection to delete/create the dialup
    connection again, set the debug, asyncmap a0000 pppd arguments, set
    pap and make real sure to enter correct login/pw again, set allow users
    to create the connection.

    exit to leave root terminal, then run kppp again, with the above as
    a regular user.

    Google search did not turn up anything from any other people having
    your problem. I assume you are not putting quotes around id/pw and no
    @whatever either.

    If it still fails, Post your problem/log in comp.protocols.ppp

  9. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:43:19 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please help.
    >>> I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux,
    >>> but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account
    >>> thru dialup.

    >> Well using kppp I assume you have queried the modem, added option
    >> debug, clicked log so we can see what is going on.
    >> do make sure when you post results to hide id/pw.

    > Here is the log that you requested:
    >
    > Nov 25 21:07:56 xxxx pppd[4289]: pppd 2.4.3 started by xxxx, uid 500
    > using channel 2
    > Using interface ppp0
    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    > ]
    > sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx" password=]
    > rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    > PAP authentication failed
    > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    > rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    > sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    > Connection terminated.
    > Modem hangup
    > Exit.
    > ================================================== =
    >
    > When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    > I get this:
    > UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com
    >
    > login: xxxxx
    > password:
    >
    > Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    The above does not look good. Regardless of what the ISP says
    the username/password is, if the server thinks it is something
    else, it is the server's opinion that counts.

    Have you tried using minicom for the connection? In the minicom
    window, you can check your modem settings (AT&V), dial up your
    number (ATDT1232343456), and see what your ISP prompts with, and
    try your login and password. If you cannot log in via minicom
    in its command window, a script will get you nowhere, I suspect.

    Minor points, but ppp usually prefers a MTU of 1492 rather than
    1500 that is standard for ethernet. And modem settings probably
    should include X4 maybe &C1 &D2 &K3 and maybe Q5 (can vary,
    depending on modem). While using mincom, adding W1 or W2 to the
    modem string will help get more info on connection responses.

    Apart from minicom, have you tried using ssh or rsh to connect
    to your ISP's server? That should give you a chance to try the
    loginname/password combination.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:36:25 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >>Nov 25 22:34:33 xxxxx pppd[4932]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >> ]

    > Ok, still asking for pap, so we'll take their word for it,
    > since chap failed.
    >
    > You log does not suggest any problems to me, other than login/pw
    > incorrect.
    >
    > If it were me, I would click up a terminal
    > su - root
    > mcc
    >
    > and get into the network connection to delete/create the dialup
    > connection again, set the debug, asyncmap a0000 pppd arguments, set
    > pap and make real sure to enter correct login/pw again, set allow users
    > to create the connection.
    >
    > exit to leave root terminal, then run kppp again, with the above as
    > a regular user.
    >
    > Google search did not turn up anything from any other people having
    > your problem. I assume you are not putting quotes around id/pw and no
    > @whatever either.
    >
    > If it still fails, Post your problem/log in comp.protocols.ppp

    Thanks for the time and help Bit Twister.
    I'll follow up on these latest suggestions and if I
    have any luck I'll let you know.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  11. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:20:11 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    > I get this:
    >
    > UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com
    >
    > login: xxxxx
    > password:
    >
    > Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    Regardless of what you think the user id and password are, they are not
    correct and this proves it. It's that simple. Maybe a leading or
    trailing space in one or the other? Or maybe they have it screwed up on
    the server end.

  12. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 06:55:13 GMT, Wes Newell wrote:
    > Regardless of what you think the user id and password are, they are not
    > correct and this proves it. It's that simple. Maybe a leading or
    > trailing space in one or the other? Or maybe they have it screwed up on
    > the server end.

    Yep, and I have seen user login at webpage with xxxxx@somewhere.net but
    needs to use just xxxxx as login in dialup script.

  13. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:20:11 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    >> Well using kppp I assume you have queried the modem, added option
    >> debug, clicked log so we can see what is going on.
    >> do make sure when you post results to hide id/pw.

    From PPP-HOWTO

    12.5. Testing your modem for dial out

    Now that you have sorted out the serial port and modem settings it is
    a good idea to make sure that these setting do indeed work by dialing
    you ISP and seeing if you can connect.

    Using you terminal communications package (such as minicom), set up
    the modem initialisation required for PPP and dial into the PPP server
    you want to connect to with a PPP session.

    (Note: at this stage we are NOT trying to make a PPP connection - just
    establishing that we have the right phone number and also to find out
    exactly what the server sends to us in order to get logged in and
    start PPP).

    During this process, either capture (log to a file) the entire login
    process or carefully (very carefully) write down exactly what prompts
    the server gives to let you know it is time to enter your user name
    and password (and any other commands needed to establish the PPP
    connection).

    ---------------------------------

    Read for more info

  14. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 06:55:13 GMT, Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >>Regardless of what you think the user id and password are, they are not
    >>correct and this proves it. It's that simple. Maybe a leading or
    >>trailing space in one or the other? Or maybe they have it screwed up on
    >>the server end.

    > Yep, and I have seen user login at webpage with xxxxx@somewhere.net but
    > needs to use just xxxxx as login in dialup script.

    I login to the webpage with a simple ID, no "@somewhere.net".

    I appreciate the suggestion though.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  15. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    James D. Beard wrote:
    > Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >

    >> When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    >> I get this:
    >> UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com
    >>
    >> login: xxxxx
    >> password:
    >>
    >> Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    > The above does not look good. Regardless of what the ISP says the
    > username/password is, if the server thinks it is something
    > else, it is the server's opinion that counts.
    >

    > Have you tried using minicom for the connection? In the minicom window,
    > you can check your modem settings (AT&V), dial up your
    > number (ATDT1232343456), and see what your ISP prompts with, and try
    > your login and password. If you cannot log in via minicom
    > in its command window, a script will get you nowhere, I suspect.
    >
    > Minor points, but ppp usually prefers a MTU of 1492 rather than 1500
    > that is standard for ethernet. And modem settings probably
    > should include X4 maybe &C1 &D2 &K3 and maybe Q5 (can vary, depending on
    > modem). While using mincom, adding W1 or W2 to the modem string will
    > help get more info on connection responses.
    >
    > Apart from minicom, have you tried using ssh or rsh to connect to your
    > ISP's server? That should give you a chance to try the
    > loginname/password combination.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    I agree that the problem seems to be the ID and PW pair.
    I have logged into the account over http using the ID and PW.

    I have tried logging in manually in a terminal window.
    You can do that with KPPP also. I have also used WvDial.
    That is a command line dialer the provieds a lot of
    information and control, like Minicom.

    As for modem response, the modem is connecting just fine.
    The handshake is successful.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  16. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:20:11 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >

    >>When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    >>I get this:
    >>
    >>UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com
    >>
    >>login: xxxxx
    >>password:
    >>
    >>Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    > Regardless of what you think the user id and password are, they are not
    > correct and this proves it. It's that simple. Maybe a leading or
    > trailing space in one or the other? Or maybe they have it screwed up on
    > the server end.

    Yes, they may have it screwed up on the server end.
    I had them reset the password and the ID/PW pair
    work over the web.

    Thanks,

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  17. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:20:11 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >

    >>>Well using kppp I assume you have queried the modem, added option
    >>>debug, clicked log so we can see what is going on.
    >>>do make sure when you post results to hide id/pw.

    > From PPP-HOWTO
    >

    > 12.5. Testing your modem for dial out
    >
    > Now that you have sorted out the serial port and modem settings it is
    > a good idea to make sure that these setting do indeed work by dialing
    > you ISP and seeing if you can connect.
    >
    > Using you terminal communications package (such as minicom), set up
    > the modem initialisation required for PPP and dial into the PPP server
    > you want to connect to with a PPP session.
    >
    > (Note: at this stage we are NOT trying to make a PPP connection - just
    > establishing that we have the right phone number and also to find out
    > exactly what the server sends to us in order to get logged in and
    > start PPP).

    I have established that I have a good phone number. In fact, I tried
    several just to be sure that this issue was not due to one of their
    modems. I have even tried dialing in from two diffent locations 50
    miles apart. I have used Three different modems.

    In each case the dialup and modem handshake are successful.

    > During this process, either capture (log to a file) the entire login
    > process or carefully (very carefully) write down exactly what prompts
    > the server gives to let you know it is time to enter your user name
    > and password (and any other commands needed to establish the PPP
    > connection).
    >
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > Read for more info

    You can use a terminal to login with KPPP also, and I have.
    I have also used WvDial, another command line dialer.
    I have used Minicom in the past.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  18. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > James D. Beard wrote:
    >> Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >>

    >>> When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    >>> I get this:
    >>> UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com
    >>>
    >>> login: xxxxx
    >>> password:
    >>>
    >>> Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    >> The above does not look good. Regardless of what the ISP says the
    >> username/password is, if the server thinks it is something
    >> else, it is the server's opinion that counts.
    >>

    >> Have you tried using minicom for the connection? In the minicom
    >> window, you can check your modem settings (AT&V), dial up your
    >> number (ATDT1232343456), and see what your ISP prompts with, and try
    >> your login and password. If you cannot log in via minicom
    >> in its command window, a script will get you nowhere, I suspect.
    >>
    >> Minor points, but ppp usually prefers a MTU of 1492 rather than 1500
    >> that is standard for ethernet. And modem settings probably
    >> should include X4 maybe &C1 &D2 &K3 and maybe Q5 (can vary, depending
    >> on modem). While using mincom, adding W1 or W2 to the modem string
    >> will help get more info on connection responses.
    >>
    >> Apart from minicom, have you tried using ssh or rsh to connect to your
    >> ISP's server? That should give you a chance to try the
    >> loginname/password combination.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > I agree that the problem seems to be the ID and PW pair.
    > I have logged into the account over http using the ID and PW.
    >
    > I have tried logging in manually in a terminal window.
    > You can do that with KPPP also. I have also used WvDial.
    > That is a command line dialer the provieds a lot of
    > information and control, like Minicom.
    >
    > As for modem response, the modem is connecting just fine.
    > The handshake is successful.

    Next question (that I do not know the answer to off the cuff):
    Is the http login case sensitive? There is a lot in http that
    is not, and http might be allowing you to log in but anything
    else will choke on the difference in case.

    As a quick test, try non-http login with userid and password in
    all caps, and see if that gets you in. If not, try userid all
    caps and password case sensitive, and then both lower case
    throughout. Final try is userid lower case and password case
    sensitive.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  19. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Please help.
    > I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux,
    > but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account
    > thru dialup.
    >
    > If I don't get him online soon he (& his wife & daughter)
    > are going to insist that I reinstall MSWindows...!
    > Please don't let this happen folks.
    >
    > No, he will not switch to another ISP.
    > He would sooner switch the OS.
    > He gets the PeoplePC account at a big discount
    > through his employer.
    > He's no techie, he cannot afford to pay more and
    > he just wants it to work.
    >

    > Here's the setup:
    >
    > We're using an external modem.
    > The modem works fine in MDV.
    > Kppp detects the Modem, dials, sends the ID & password.
    > ID and Password pair are rejected.
    >
    > Yes, I have confirmed that the ID and password are correct.
    > PeoplePC tech support confirms it and I can log into their
    > account through my broadband connection.
    >
    > Yes, I have tried WvDial... same result.
    >
    > Yes, I have Googled my fingers off, and I will continue to.
    >
    > There has got to be a trick to getting on PeoplePC that I am missing.
    > Surely someone has already overcome these hurdles and logged into
    > PeoplePC through Linux.

    OK, I have also used Minicom now... same result. No new information.

    Could it be that PeoplesPC's MSWindows only software
    encrypts the password before sending it?

    I admit that I don't know why they would do this.
    A dialup connection is point-to-point.

    I'm just grasping at straws.

    BTW, when I call their tech support, not only do
    they barely speak english, they continually chant
    that I must use MSWindows and their software.

    One even told me that the problem was that I am not using
    Internet Explorer!

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  20. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    James D. Beard wrote:

    > Next question (that I do not know the answer to off the cuff):
    > Is the http login case sensitive? There is a lot in http that
    > is not, and http might be allowing you to log in but anything
    > else will choke on the difference in case.

    Good point.

    > As a quick test, try non-http login with userid and password in all
    > caps, and see if that gets you in. If not, try userid all caps and
    > password case sensitive, and then both lower case throughout. Final try
    > is userid lower case and password case sensitive.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    I just checked and the web site does NOT use case sensitive login.

    My brother's ID and PW are EXTREMELY simple.
    And, the current PW has no letters, so it can not be case sensitive.

    I just tried combinations of upper and lower case ID on dialup...
    no joy.

    Thanks again,

    --
    Lance DeVooght