Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On 2006-11-26, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Please help.
    > I converted my brother and his family to Mandriva Linux,
    > but I can't get him connected to his PeoplePC account
    > thru dialup.

    snip

    I can remember this subject having cropped up before, although I'm not
    sure if it has been raised in this group.

    This thread may be helpful
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp....se_thread/thre
    ad/e1707017b278d39e/5572c4b81a21f947?lnk=st&q=peoplepc+group%3A*linux*&rnum
    =3#5572c4b81a21f947> or .

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  2. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 10:27:51 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > OK, I have also used Minicom now... same result. No new information.

    Then nothing new here either. You have to get past this before anything
    else can be done.

  3. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > James D. Beard wrote:
    >>
    >> Next question (that I do not know the answer to off the cuff):
    >> Is the http login case sensitive? There is a lot in http that
    >> is not, and http might be allowing you to log in but anything
    >> else will choke on the difference in case.

    > Good point.
    >
    >> As a quick test, try non-http login with userid and password in all
    >> caps, and see if that gets you in. If not, try userid all caps and
    >> password case sensitive, and then both lower case throughout. Final
    >> try is userid lower case and password case sensitive.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > I just checked and the web site does NOT use case sensitive login.
    >
    > My brother's ID and PW are EXTREMELY simple.
    > And, the current PW has no letters, so it can not be case sensitive.
    >
    > I just tried combinations of upper and lower case ID on dialup...
    > no joy.
    >
    > Thanks again,

    Might it be *too* short? You said you can get in under some methods.
    Have you tried getting in and *changing* the password?

    Donald

  4. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Donald Tees wrote:
    > Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >> James D. Beard wrote:

    >> I just checked and the web site does NOT use case sensitive login.
    >>
    >> My brother's ID and PW are EXTREMELY simple.
    >> And, the current PW has no letters, so it can not be case sensitive.
    >>
    >> I just tried combinations of upper and lower case ID on dialup...
    >> no joy.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>

    > Might it be *too* short? You said you can get in under some methods.
    > Have you tried getting in and *changing* the password?
    >
    > Donald

    That was worth a try, but it didn't work.
    My brother now has amuch longer and more complex PW,
    but I still can't authenticate over dialup.

    Thanks for the interesting suggestion.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  5. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Donald Tees wrote:
    >> Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >>
    >>> James D. Beard wrote:

    >>> I just checked and the web site does NOT use case sensitive login.
    >>>
    >>> My brother's ID and PW are EXTREMELY simple.
    >>> And, the current PW has no letters, so it can not be case sensitive.
    >>>
    >>> I just tried combinations of upper and lower case ID on dialup...
    >>> no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again,
    >>>

    >> Might it be *too* short? You said you can get in under some methods.
    >> Have you tried getting in and *changing* the password?
    >>
    >> Donald
    >>

    > That was worth a try, but it didn't work.
    > My brother now has amuch longer and more complex PW,
    > but I still can't authenticate over dialup.
    >
    > Thanks for the interesting suggestion.

    I've been following along. It seems you have tried near everything. The
    outlook plugin thing sounded right to me. If they are doing some kind
    of fancy enryption that only works in windows, you are somewhat screwed.

    Could the modem be set to some dumb protocol, like having parity bits
    set to one? Though I'd expect that to affect a lot more than the password.

    Donald

  6. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    Donald Tees wrote:

    > I've been following along. It seems you have tried near everything. The
    > outlook plugin thing sounded right to me. If they are doing some kind
    > of fancy enryption that only works in windows, you are somewhat screwed.

    This may turn out to be true.

    > Could the modem be set to some dumb protocol, like having parity bits
    > set to one? Though I'd expect that to affect a lot more than the password.
    >
    > Donald

    I am getting a solid dialup connection and communication between my
    end and theirs is clear and persistent.

    Thanks for the additional suggestion.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  7. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:33:10 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    Did you delete/create the internet connection under the Mandriva
    Control Center as I had asked?

    I wanted to make sure you had set the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file with
    valid values.

  8. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >]

    You say 'Hello'

    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]

    That's a minor problem. The duckheads running the server have it asking
    for a software flow control asyncmap, even though few people use that
    any more. Figure out how to kick your marvelous helper tool to add
    the option 'asyncmap 0x0a0000'. The fact that they're also asking for
    the default mru of 1500 indicates they've got head-up-the-bum problems
    as well, though that option doesn't hurt anything here.

    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    >]

    You each agree to the other's requests

    > sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="xxxxx" password=]
    > rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    > PAP authentication failed

    and the peer barfs at something (could be either name or password). This
    _COULD_ be caused by the peer misinterpreting the data because of the
    asyncmap difference.

    >When I use the terminal and enter the login & PW manually
    >I get this:
    >
    >UQKT2 ras05.ord01.dial.cogentco.com
    >

    >login: xxxxx
    >password:
    >

    >Login invalid: invalid user name/password pair.

    That really doesn't mean much. Manual logins went out of style when
    microsoft invented the telephone. While most terminal servers still have
    this mode, it's _rarely_ disabled or configured because windoze doesn't
    know how to use this mode - what's the use of configuring something that
    no one will use? Result - you try to log in to a dead end and there can
    not be a successful result even if your username and password are valid.

    Old guy

  9. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC?

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Ron Gibson wrote:

    >From PPP-HOWTO

    Ohmygod - do you have any idea how old that material is?

    >12.5. Testing your modem for dial out

    You might also notice section 12 is talking about /dev/cuaX which was
    deprecated by with the 2.0.0 kernel. Did you also notice the instructions
    about compiling pppd for your 1.2.13 kernel in section 10.3?

    NO ONE is using a text login on ppp connection these days. That went
    out of style when microsoft invented the telephone back in 1995. Some
    of the authors of ppp "helper" programs (WvDial being a classic example)
    haven't heard this yet, but the do include an option that they call

    Stupid Mode
    When wvdial is in Stupid Mode, it does not attempt to inter-
    pret any prompts from the terminal server. It starts pppd
    immediately after the modem connects. Apparently there are
    ISP's that actually give you a login prompt, but work only
    if you start PPP, rather than logging in. Go figure.
    Stupid Mode is (naturally) disabled by default.

    This only happened over ten years ago, so maybe the author might eventually
    get the word. The PAP authentication mode actually was in use back in 1992,
    while CHAP (a more secure replacement) was officially adopted in 1996. In
    the mean time, use 'stupid mode' in wvdial (kppp and the Gnome "helper"
    have similar functions to let pppd handle the authentication directly), or
    just use a dumb script and not waste the CPU cycles. See
    http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html or (same page)
    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for help.

    Old guy

  10. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > NO ONE is using a text login on ppp connection these days. That went
    > out of style when microsoft invented the telephone back in 1995. Some
    > of the authors of ppp "helper" programs (WvDial being a classic example)
    > haven't heard this yet, but the do include an option that they call
    >
    > Stupid Mode
    > When wvdial is in Stupid Mode, it does not attempt to inter-
    > pret any prompts from the terminal server. It starts pppd
    > immediately after the modem connects. Apparently there are
    > ISP's that actually give you a login prompt, but work only
    > if you start PPP, rather than logging in. Go figure.
    > Stupid Mode is (naturally) disabled by default.
    >
    > This only happened over ten years ago, so maybe the author might eventually
    > get the word. The PAP authentication mode actually was in use back in 1992,
    > while CHAP (a more secure replacement) was officially adopted in 1996. In
    > the mean time, use 'stupid mode' in wvdial (kppp and the Gnome "helper"
    > have similar functions to let pppd handle the authentication directly), or
    > just use a dumb script and not waste the CPU cycles. See
    > http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html or (same page)
    > http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for help.
    >
    > Old guy

    You did it!
    I am surfing the net over dialup (not this computer) as we speak.
    Wow, I forgot how painful dialup is... but never mind that.

    I argued with PeoplePC tech support (a misnomer if ever there was one)
    and they admitted that @peoplepc.com must be appended to the user name
    thus, use_name@peoplepc.com to login.

    Armed with that and the tip above I got right in.

    At the risk of pushing my luck, would you tell me where in KPPP this
    similar function to let pppd handle the authentication directly is?

    I looked, but the only choices are:
    Script-based
    PAP
    Terminal-based
    Chap
    Chap/PAP

    If Script-based is the correct choice here then I'm afraid that I
    could use some help there too. I really don't know how to simulate the
    WvDial "Stupid Mode" in a "dumb script." And, I would like to set my
    brother up with a point and click interface like KPPP if possible.

    Thank you very much Old guy,

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  11. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:06:10 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > You did it!
    > I am surfing the net over dialup (not this computer) as we speak.
    > Wow, I forgot how painful dialup is... but never mind that.

    That's good. Dialup can be a pain. I used to send all the debugging stuff
    to a console using syslog. Pretty boring stuff most of the time but it
    helped spotting errors.

  12. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    , Lance DeVooght wrote:

    >I am surfing the net over dialup (not this computer) as we speak.
    >Wow, I forgot how painful dialup is... but never mind that.

    Glad to hear it. Yes, dialup is S L O W but it's all some people
    have available.

    >I argued with PeoplePC tech support (a misnomer if ever there was one)
    >and they admitted that @peoplepc.com must be appended to the user name
    >thus, use_name@peoplepc.com to login.

    OK that explains why pppd was failing.

    >At the risk of pushing my luck, would you tell me where in KPPP this
    >similar function to let pppd handle the authentication directly is?

    I don't even use the KDE desktop, much less KPPP. But...

    >I looked, but the only choices are:
    >Script-based

    Probably not - I suspect this is looking for a Login: prompt

    >PAP

    Yes - this is the RFC1334 protocol that virtually all ISPs use.

    >Terminal-based

    Almost certainly not. Back in the early 1990s, you would log into a
    terminal server, start a text shell (command line), and to do anything
    useful (thinking about it, 1992 was also before CERN developed the web),
    you started a ppp connection - probably by running pppd on both ends of
    the link. This is the classic setup that the HOWTOs written before 1995
    were looking to support.

    >Chap

    CHAP There are three versions - the standard MD5 version (RFC1994) and
    two mutually incompatible versions from microsoft (ms-chap-v1 RFC2433
    and ms-chap-v2 RFC2759 - now relatively rare). Modern Linux versions of
    ppp support all three. CHAP uses a different technique than the original
    PAP, but for the local configuration the only difference is the name of
    the file that has the username and secret (/etc/ppp/chap-secrets verses
    /etc/ppp/pap-secrets). The file format is identical.

    >Chap/PAP

    My guess is that KPPP simply configures both secrets files, or makes one a
    link to the other. This would _probably_ work.

    >If Script-based is the correct choice here then I'm afraid that I
    >could use some help there too. I really don't know how to simulate the
    >WvDial "Stupid Mode" in a "dumb script." And, I would like to set my
    >brother up with a point and click interface like KPPP if possible.

    Then select 'PAP' in KPPP (with 'Chap/PAP' as a possible alternative).
    The "dumb script" is just that - DOS used to call them 'batch files".
    It would _probably_ look like this (with the right phone number and
    username of course):

    [compton ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/dialin
    #!/bin/bash
    exec /usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/dialscript" lock \
    defaultroute noipdefault nodetach /dev/modem 115200 crtscts user devooght
    [compton ~]$

    There must not be anything after the \ in that line.

    [compton ~]$ cat /etc/ppp/dialscript
    ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" AT&F1 OK ATDT2662902 CONNECT \d\c
    [compton ~]$

    The 'AT&F1' is for a US Robotics - others use 'AT&F0'. There would also
    be the secrets file that contains

    devooght * p42Sw0rD~

    with the obvious corrections, and /etc/resolv.conf should contain two
    'nameserver' declarations... you said 'peoplepc.com'? IANA says they
    are using 'earthlink' name servers, so that would be

    nameserver 207.69.188.196
    nameserver 207.69.188.197

    and that should work. But now that you know the right form for the
    username, KPPP should work as well.

    >Thank you very much Old guy,

    You're quite welcome. Glad to be able to help.

    Old guy

  13. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    Quoth Lance DeVooght :

    > If Script-based is the correct choice here then I'm afraid that I
    > could use some help there too. I really don't know how to simulate the
    > WvDial "Stupid Mode" in a "dumb script." And, I would like to set my
    > brother up with a point and click interface like KPPP if possible.

    Kudos to the lot of you for getting this working. "Point and click"
    solution (in case you can't get kppp to work)... From the kde desktop you
    can run a bash script which executes the commands needed to connect with
    these steps:

    1) Right click on kde desktop --> Create New --> Link to Application
    2) Name it, dress it up in a nice icon. (Hint: copy the icon of choice to
    the user's home dir and link to it from there, so that it doesn't get lost
    or changed during future upgrades. That'll save you at least one
    "confused brotherinlaw call".)
    3) Select Application tab.
    4) Command: sh '/home/brotherinlaw/peoplepc.sh'
    (you know where and how you named the script, edit accordingly)

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  14. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:08:16 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > Quoth Lance DeVooght :
    >
    >> If Script-based is the correct choice here then I'm afraid that I could
    >> use some help there too. I really don't know how to simulate the WvDial
    >> "Stupid Mode" in a "dumb script." And, I would like to set my brother up
    >> with a point and click interface like KPPP if possible.

    > Kudos to the lot of you for getting this working. "Point and click"
    > solution (in case you can't get kppp to work)... From the kde desktop you
    > can run a bash script which executes the commands needed to connect with
    > these steps:
    >
    > 1) Right click on kde desktop --> Create New --> Link to Application 2)
    > Name it, dress it up in a nice icon. (Hint: copy the icon of choice to the
    > user's home dir and link to it from there, so that it doesn't get lost or
    > changed during future upgrades. That'll save you at least one "confused
    > brotherinlaw call".)
    > 3) Select Application tab.
    > 4) Command: sh '/home/brotherinlaw/peoplepc.sh' (you know where and how
    > you named the script, edit accordingly)

    Could I get you to post the peoplepc.sh file? I looked into using
    peoplePC some time ago, and couldn't figure out how to do it with Linux.
    I am forced to use dial-up, and having that option in a self-contained
    file would be nice.

    --
    Everything is synchronous, there is nothing that
    doesn't rhyme with something else, no matter how

    -- Andre Codrescu

  15. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    Quoth Joe User :

    > On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:08:16 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >
    >> Quoth Lance DeVooght :
    >>
    >>> If Script-based is the correct choice here then I'm afraid that I could
    >>> use some help there too. I really don't know how to simulate the WvDial
    >>> "Stupid Mode" in a "dumb script." And, I would like to set my brother
    >>> up with a point and click interface like KPPP if possible.

    >> Kudos to the lot of you for getting this working. "Point and click"
    >> solution (in case you can't get kppp to work)... From the kde desktop
    >> you can run a bash script which executes the commands needed to connect
    >> with these steps:
    >>
    >> 1) Right click on kde desktop --> Create New --> Link to Application 2)
    >> Name it, dress it up in a nice icon. (Hint: copy the icon of choice to
    >> the user's home dir and link to it from there, so that it doesn't get
    >> lost or
    >> changed during future upgrades. That'll save you at least one "confused
    >> brotherinlaw call".)
    >> 3) Select Application tab.
    >> 4) Command: sh '/home/brotherinlaw/peoplepc.sh' (you know where and how
    >> you named the script, edit accordingly)

    > Could I get you to post the peoplepc.sh file? I looked into using
    > peoplePC some time ago, and couldn't figure out how to do it with Linux.
    > I am forced to use dial-up, and having that option in a self-contained
    > file would be nice.

    Who me? Or Lance when he is ready to give his brother-in-law the thumbs
    up?

    In case you were talking to me: read my post again and replace each
    instance of "peoplepc.sh" with
    "whateverUwannacallitsinceyouwrotethescripttodialth emodem&startpppd.sh"

    If you were talking to Lance DeVooght you'll just have to make that clear
    to him somehow. But he might just tell you to re-read this entire thread
    and type man wvdial in a console.

    Still confused? Well then ... shoo, scat, begone, silly person! ;-)
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  16. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:59:32 -0600, Joe User wrote:

    > Could I get you to post the peoplepc.sh file? I looked into using
    > peoplePC some time ago, and couldn't figure out how to do it with Linux.
    > I am forced to use dial-up, and having that option in a self-contained
    > file would be nice.

    Come on guys. I haven't done dial-up in years but even back then all you
    had to do was configure the dialer. Have you tried reading the how to's or
    docs? There's probably something in MCC to do it, but you will need the
    right user id and password. Maybe Internet connection in MCC?

  17. Re: How to connect to PeoplePC? [Solved !]

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
    , Joe User wrote:

    >Could I get you to post the peoplepc.sh file?

    The script I posted up thread could be used for that. Only thing that has
    to change is username/password in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file, username
    in the script, and the modem init string/telephone number.

    >I looked into using peoplePC some time ago, and couldn't figure out how
    >to do it with Linux.

    The only thing that 'peoplePC' is doing strange is the username. Everything
    else is pretty much default, and any of the so-called 'helper' programs can
    connect without much effort.

    >I am forced to use dial-up, and having that option in a self-contained
    >file would be nice.

    It can't be "one" file, as pppd does not take the authentication data (user
    and password) from the command line (which is what a script is actually
    doing). Thus, you may need two or even three files (the script,
    /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, and possibly /etc/resolv.conf).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2