Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake - Mandrake ; On Saturday 25 November 2006 16:57, Dan C stood up and addressed the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...: > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:21:18 +0000, James J. Dines wrote: > >>>> No matter how low your opinion is of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Saturday 25 November 2006 16:57, Dan C stood up and addressed the masses
    in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> Here's another cheap-shot artist at work. I wonder if Aragorn will call
    >>> him on it, saying it's unfair to talk bad about folks who you've
    >>> killfiled.
    >>>
    >>> I'm guessing he won't.

    >> You see ... that is why I figure your IQ to be about 90. You *DO* have
    >> enough intelligence to figure out that *NOBODY* is *EVER* going to come
    >> to your defense :-)

    > I'm not looking for anybody to /come to my defense/. I'm just wondering
    > if Aragorn's self-proclaimed *high moral principles* apply to everyone, or
    > just those he agrees with.
    >
    > Try to keep up, dimwit.

    It would be nice if someone were to draw Dan C's attention on my opinion on
    the subject as expressed in the following message ID...

    .... by referring to it in one of their replies, or by quoting what I have
    written here in a reply.

    It's obviously very easy to make cheap comments about a person while you're
    excluding yourself from the chances of verifying your own claims by having
    the person you are libeling in your /killfile./

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  2. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Dan C wrote:

    > Really? You think all the continued responses to the
    > "never-ending-thread" were "useful" in some way? Please explain how
    > continuing to feed the troll is "useful", would you?

    It's easy to ignore a thread if you want to!

    > Your opinion is noted, for what it matters.

    In this context, it /does/ matter!

    > You're another who mistakes my standing up to anti-American smear
    > campaigns translates to being a "Bush supporter".

    No. It's the American /attitude/ that is the problem.

    > I have major
    > disagreements with Bush, and with the conflict in Iraq, but that is a
    > different thing altogether than bashing Americans, most of which don't
    > agree with Bush, either.

    Good. That means that (unlike most Americans) you're capable of thinking
    for yourself, and you have recognised the self-serving nonsense promulgated
    by Bush and his pals.

    > That's why Aragorn is killfiled here. He takes
    > cheap, opportunistic shots at America (and Americans), since he is unable
    > to seperate "them" from "Bush". He doesn't understand what he speaks of,
    > at least in that context.

    Perhaps you've misread him. That's /not/ what I've read. "Cheap shots"?
    No. He's stood up against the arrogant Americans who claim that Europe is
    in inferior to the USA in some way. I can't think of /anything/ that
    America's got that we haven't, except *size!*

    >> Americans can never quite understand why they're almost globally
    >> disliked - it's just the arrogance, ignorance and abuse of anyone
    >> non-American that causes the problem!

    > Right. If you say so.

    You should take a look from this side of the pond!

    Chris

  3. Nation-state (was Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake)

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > I can't think of /anything/ that America's got that we haven't,
    > except *size!*

    America does not yet have the threat to its core idea of nation-state
    that countries in Europe have, although that may be coming.

    Here is a URL for an article dated November 25, 2006, that helps to
    illustrate Europe's Muslim immigrant plus non-assimilation problem:
    http://tinyurl.com/yeqvww

    Here is a URL for a CNN article dated November 23, 2006, about
    Canada's ongoing problem with its nation-state (Quebec continually
    threatens to secede from Canada because of the language issue: Canada
    speaks English, Quebec speaks French):
    http://tinyurl.com/y9ksht

    Federation for American Immigration Reform:
    http://www.fairus.org

  4. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Dan C wrote:

    > I will continue to stand up against those people, when they
    > step forth and bash my country and/or my President.

    Really, Dan! Your president is /indefensible!/ So is our Prime Minister!!

    I generally like the USA and Americans, and have spent a /lot/ of time over
    there, but there really are some Americans that really let down the rest.
    This is true here in Europe, too - don't get the impression that I'm saying
    we're perfect!

    Aragorn (and I) carried on playing with the _Matt_ nutter for too long - I
    agree - but was quite fun. Matt obviously has serious reading and
    comprehension problems, and with the volume of his replies, he was probably
    tied up at his keyboard for days on end!

    Incidentally, my view of the USA isn't generally formed by watching CNN -
    few in Europe watch that rubbish - I formed /my/ opinions by living and
    working in the 'States. The appalling levels of general education, the
    general ignorance of the world outside the USA, the arrogant "we're better
    than you" attitude, and the obvious social problems endemic in most areas
    coloured my perceptions of the USA.

    /You/ strike me as an exception to the general run of Americans, but you
    have a tendency to try to defend your current presidency. *Bad* *mistake!*
    History will certainly see Bush as the /worst/ American president of all
    (it's unlikely that there'll ever be a worse one)!

    C.

  5. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:15:18 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    >> I will continue to stand up against those people, when they
    >> step forth and bash my country and/or my President.

    > Really, Dan! Your president is /indefensible!/ So is our Prime Minister!!

    It's difficult to agree with such blanket statements. While you (and
    probably myself, too) may disagree with the Iraqi situation, President
    Bush has not been terrible in other aspects. Our economy is strong, taxes
    are low, and (speaking for myself only), times are prosperous. I have no
    serious complaints about him, if you seperate that one issue.

    > I generally like the USA and Americans, and have spent a /lot/ of time
    > over there, but there really are some Americans that really let down the
    > rest. This is true here in Europe, too - don't get the impression that
    > I'm saying we're perfect!

    Of course there are assholes in the bunch. As you said, this is true of
    any nation or large group of people. No surprise there.

    > Incidentally, my view of the USA isn't generally formed by watching CNN
    > - few in Europe watch that rubbish - I formed /my/ opinions by living
    > and working in the 'States. The appalling levels of general education,
    > the general ignorance of the world outside the USA, the arrogant "we're
    > better than you" attitude, and the obvious social problems endemic in
    > most areas coloured my perceptions of the USA.

    Don't forget that /my/ opinions are also based on "living and working in
    the States", too... That is one thing that gets me going about how
    Aragorn presumes to be all-knowing about America. He doesn't live here,
    and as far as I can recall, has never mentioned *ever* being here at all.
    How he thinks he knows so much about how it *really* is, is beyond me.
    He's being fed his information by some news organization or another, which
    means the content is being filtered/adjusted/biased in some fashion.
    There is /no substitute/ for actually "being on the streets" if you wish
    to really *know* about something. He doesn't seem to realize that. His
    arrogance in presuming things reminds me a lot of my other pal, JJ Dines.

    > /You/ strike me as an exception to the general run of Americans, but you
    > have a tendency to try to defend your current presidency. *Bad*
    > *mistake!* History will certainly see Bush as the /worst/ American
    > president of all (it's unlikely that there'll ever be a worse one)!

    "Certainly" is a difficult word to agree with. That remains to be seen.
    Bush had the misfortune to be President when 9/11 happened, and this whole
    issue with terrorism came to the forefront. It has defined his
    Presidency, and dwarfed all other issues that he has had to deal with.
    Just think how much different everything would be if 9/11 had never
    happened... That's not a "defense" of him, BTW, just pointing out that
    much of the current state of affairs was thrust upon him by events outside
    his control. Hard to say how anyone else might have done things any
    differently.

    As for my tendency to defend him, perhaps it's my military background.
    Whether you agree with your senior leadership, or not, is quite irrelevant
    when defending/carrying out orders. As I said, I'm recently retired from
    that career, so maybe I'll start to forget that way of thinking...

  6. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Saturday 25 November 2006 16:57, Dan C stood up and addressed the masses
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    >>> You see ... that is why I figure your IQ to be about 90. You *DO* have
    >>> enough intelligence to figure out that *NOBODY* is *EVER* going to come
    >>> to your defense :-)

    >> I'm not looking for anybody to /come to my defense/. I'm just wondering
    >> if Aragorn's self-proclaimed *high moral principles* apply to everyone, or
    >> just those he agrees with.
    >>
    >> Try to keep up, dimwit.

    > It would be nice if someone were to draw Dan C's attention on my opinion on
    > the subject as expressed in the following message ID...

    > ... by referring to it in one of their replies, or by quoting what I have
    > written here in a reply.
    >
    > It's obviously very easy to make cheap comments about a person while you're
    > excluding yourself from the chances of verifying your own claims by having
    > the person you are libeling in your /killfile./

    Sorry for the delay, Aragorn. I'm quite behind in my Mandriva newsgroup
    activities. I actually suspect Dan C. reads your posts, and I think I
    recall seeing some evidence of that a while back, but on the off chance
    I am mistaken ... done.

    --
    ****** Warning - Highly US-Centric .sig approaching! ******
    The only way to differentiate "The War on Terrorism"

  7. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Monday 27 November 2006 22:10, James J. Dines stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> It would be nice if someone were to draw Dan C's attention on my opinion
    >> on the subject as expressed in the following message ID...

    >> ... by referring to it in one of their replies, or by quoting what I have
    >> written here in a reply.
    >>
    >> It's obviously very easy to make cheap comments about a person while
    >> you're excluding yourself from the chances of verifying your own claims
    >> by having the person you are libeling in your /killfile./
    >>

    > Sorry for the delay, Aragorn. I'm quite behind in my Mandriva newsgroup
    > activities. I actually suspect Dan C. reads your posts, and I think I
    > recall seeing some evidence of that a while back, but on the off chance
    > I am mistaken ... done.

    Thanks, Bro! ;-) I'm a little behind now myself, due to a few hectic days
    and my computer crashing on me again - twice in a row, even. Really high
    time I get this thing replaced... :-/

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Dan C wrote:
    > my military background. Whether you agree with your senior
    > leadership, or not, is quite irrelevant when defending/carrying out
    > orders. As I said, I'm recently retired from that career, so maybe
    > I'll start to forget that way of thinking...

    Dan C,

    27 plus years in the US Navy... thank you for your service, and I
    hope our government has provided a good retirement for you.

  9. Re: Statistics for alt.os.linux.mandrake

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:24:10 -0800, Scott B. wrote:

    >> my military background. Whether you agree with your senior
    >> leadership, or not, is quite irrelevant when defending/carrying out
    >> orders. As I said, I'm recently retired from that career, so maybe
    >> I'll start to forget that way of thinking...

    > Dan C,
    >
    > 27 plus years in the US Navy... thank you for your service, and I
    > hope our government has provided a good retirement for you.

    Why, thank you. It was an honor to serve, and I enjoyed (most) of it
    immensely. Yes, I do receive quite a nice check every month, and am now
    working a new job which I absolutely love (linear accelerator maintenance).

    Thanks for the comment, Scott. Very much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2