lost files on mounted FAT filesystem - Mandrake

This is a discussion on lost files on mounted FAT filesystem - Mandrake ; hi all, need some help... i have installed mandriva 2007 as second operating system on my notebook. the other operating system is windows xp. in order to have access my data files form both operating systems i have createad a ...

  1. lost files on mounted FAT filesystem

    hi all,

    need some help...

    i have installed mandriva 2007 as second operating system on my
    notebook. the other operating system is windows xp. in order to have
    access my data files form both operating systems i have createad a FAT
    filesystem on my harddisk.

    The problem now is, when i run linux i mount the FAT filesystem and can
    use it for read and write. everthings seems to work fine. Then after
    shuting down linux and booting xp i can not see the files i created on
    linux.

    booting linux again and my files exist as i created them.. ????

    Who can tell me whts wrong and what i must do to see my UNIX-created
    files on XP.

    thanks in advance
    Willi

  2. Re: lost files on mounted FAT filesystem

    On Thursday 23 November 2006 22:15, Willi Sanders stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > hi all,
    >
    > need some help...
    >
    > i have installed mandriva 2007 as second operating system on my
    > notebook. the other operating system is windows xp. in order to have
    > access my data files form both operating systems i have createad a FAT
    > filesystem on my harddisk.
    >
    > The problem now is, when i run linux i mount the FAT filesystem and can
    > use it for read and write. everthings seems to work fine. Then after
    > shuting down linux and booting xp i can not see the files i created on
    > linux.
    >
    > booting linux again and my files exist as i created them.. ????
    >
    > Who can tell me whts wrong and what i must do to see my UNIX-created
    > files on XP.

    Just a few wild guesses... You mention FAT but you don't say FAT32 (vfat).
    So could it be that the files you created in GNU/Linux have long filenames
    which Windows doesn't support?

    I know that when Windows writes a file to a FAT(32) partition, it writes
    both the long and the short filename, but in UNIX this is not necessarily
    the case.

    Are you mounting it as FAT (msdos) or FAT32 (vfat) in GNU/Linux? And what
    does MS-Glassware say it is? Do the filenames have FAT12/16-illegal
    characters in them, such as a space?

    Either way, this is clearly not a problem on GNU/Linux's end, but one on
    Windows's end... Just goes to show that they're not even compatible with
    their own filesystems... (Okay, that was a cheap one, I admit! ;-))

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: lost files on mounted FAT filesystem

    Aragorn schrieb:
    > On Thursday 23 November 2006 22:15, Willi Sanders stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> need some help...
    >>
    >> i have installed mandriva 2007 as second operating system on my
    >> notebook. the other operating system is windows xp. in order to have
    >> access my data files form both operating systems i have createad a FAT
    >> filesystem on my harddisk.
    >>
    >> The problem now is, when i run linux i mount the FAT filesystem and can
    >> use it for read and write. everthings seems to work fine. Then after
    >> shuting down linux and booting xp i can not see the files i created on
    >> linux.
    >>
    >> booting linux again and my files exist as i created them.. ????
    >>
    >> Who can tell me whts wrong and what i must do to see my UNIX-created
    >> files on XP.

    > Just a few wild guesses... You mention FAT but you don't say FAT32 (vfat).
    > So could it be that the files you created in GNU/Linux have long filenames
    > which Windows doesn't support?
    >
    > I know that when Windows writes a file to a FAT(32) partition, it writes
    > both the long and the short filename, but in UNIX this is not necessarily
    > the case.
    >
    > Are you mounting it as FAT (msdos) or FAT32 (vfat) in GNU/Linux? And what
    > does MS-Glassware say it is? Do the filenames have FAT12/16-illegal
    > characters in them, such as a space?
    >
    > Either way, this is clearly not a problem on GNU/Linux's end, but one on
    > Windows's end... Just goes to show that they're not even compatible with
    > their own filesystems... (Okay, that was a cheap one, I admit! ;-))

    Sorry for that undetailed information. I'm talking about FAT32 and i
    mount it "rw" as vfat. To be sure i created a file named "file" and a
    subdirectory called "sub". both of them are not visible under XP.

    Willi

  4. Re: lost files on mounted FAT filesystem

    On Thursday 23 November 2006 22:55, Willi Sanders stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > Aragorn schrieb:
    >
    >> I know that when Windows writes a file to a FAT(32) partition, it writes
    >> both the long and the short filename, but in UNIX this is not necessarily
    >> the case.
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Either way, this is clearly not a problem on GNU/Linux's end, but one on
    >> Windows's end... Just goes to show that they're not even compatible with
    >> their own filesystems... (Okay, that was a cheap one, I admit!
    >> ;-))
    >>

    > Sorry for that undetailed information. I'm talking about FAT32 and i
    > mount it "rw" as vfat. To be sure i created a file named "file" and a
    > subdirectory called "sub". both of them are not visible under XP.

    Well, I've left those two paragraphs of mine in because I think that those
    two may hold the key to the mystery, although I must add that I've only
    heard about this problem once before, and that I've never encountered it
    myself through the entire month that I've dual-booted between Windows NT
    4.0 - which didn't recognize /vfat/ but used the regular /msdos/ 16-bit FAT
    - and Mandrake 6.0... ;-

    And as I say, I've heard about it only once, but unfortunately I don't
    remember what the solution to the problem was, or whether one was even
    posted. I didn't pay much attention to it as I normally don't do
    Windows. :-/

    The most logical assumption I can think of is the descrepancy between
    Windows's habit of storing both a short and a long filename on /vfat/ and
    GNU/Linux storing only one filename, being the case-sensitive and
    longer-than-eight-plus-three-capable name. And my guess is that Windows
    can't interpret files that only have that name set without that there is a
    MICROS~1-like name too.

    Could you post the output of the following command...

    grep vfat /etc/fstab

    .... please? It might shed a light on things...

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: lost files on mounted FAT filesystem

    Willi Sanders wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > need some help...
    >
    > i have installed mandriva 2007 as second operating system on my
    > notebook. the other operating system is windows xp. in order to have
    > access my data files form both operating systems i have createad a FAT
    > filesystem on my harddisk.
    >
    > The problem now is, when i run linux i mount the FAT filesystem and can
    > use it for read and write. everthings seems to work fine. Then after
    > shuting down linux and booting xp i can not see the files i created on
    > linux.
    >
    > booting linux again and my files exist as i created them.. ????
    >
    > Who can tell me whts wrong and what i must do to see my UNIX-created
    > files on XP.

    Does XP require that the partition be mounted/mapped in some
    fashion?

    Can you write to the partition and read what you have written?
    It is then available under Linux?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: lost files on mounted FAT filesystem

    Willi Sanders schreef:
    > hi all,
    >
    > need some help...
    >
    > i have installed mandriva 2007 as second operating system on my
    > notebook. the other operating system is windows xp. in order to have
    > access my data files form both operating systems i have createad a FAT
    > filesystem on my harddisk.
    >
    > The problem now is, when i run linux i mount the FAT filesystem and can
    > use it for read and write. everthings seems to work fine. Then after
    > shuting down linux and booting xp i can not see the files i created on
    > linux.

    Willi,

    To mee this sound like a mount problem.
    You write the files to a mountpoint that you think is linked to the vfat
    partition - but maybe it's not (so you write to a directory on the root
    file system)

    Windows will not see this....

    Peter V

+ Reply to Thread