Network problem - Linux to Windows XP - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Network problem - Linux to Windows XP - Mandrake ; Hi My environment: I have a Windows XP laptop and a Mandriva 2006 Linux server. The Linux server is connected directly to my LAN switch and my laptop is connected to a Wireless Access Point which in turn is connected ...

  1. Network problem - Linux to Windows XP

    Hi

    My environment:

    I have a Windows XP laptop and a Mandriva 2006 Linux server.

    The Linux server is connected directly to my LAN switch and my laptop
    is connected to a Wireless Access Point which in turn is connected to
    the same LAN switch as my Linux server.

    There is also a router connected the the LAN switch which is also the
    DHCP server.

    Myproblem:

    I cannot ping from the Linux server to my laptop.

    I can ping from my laptop to the Linux server and the Linux server can
    ping the router and the WAP.

    The strange thing is, is that this used to work. The only change I can
    remember making is installing a new version of Norton Anti-Virus on my
    laptop.

    I have tried disabling Norton and then repinging, but that does not
    work either!

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Here is the ifconfig output from the Linux server if that helps:

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:C7:42:66:AC
    inet addr:192.168.84.3 Bcast:192.168.84.255
    Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::208:c7ff:fe42:66ac/64 Scope:Link
    TX packets:50717 errors:266 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:266
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:20397657 (19.4 MiB) TX bytes:23579964 (22.4 MiB)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1020

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:32693503 (31.1 MiB) TX bytes:32693503 (31.1 MiB)

    Thanks

    Darren

  2. Re: Network problem - Linux to Windows XP

    "Baggsy" wrote in message
    news:1164287989.278153.252020@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > My environment:
    >
    > I have a Windows XP laptop and a Mandriva 2006 Linux server.
    >
    > The Linux server is connected directly to my LAN switch and my laptop
    > is connected to a Wireless Access Point which in turn is connected to
    > the same LAN switch as my Linux server.
    >
    > There is also a router connected the the LAN switch which is also the
    > DHCP server.
    >
    > Myproblem:
    >
    > I cannot ping from the Linux server to my laptop.
    >
    > I can ping from my laptop to the Linux server and the Linux server can
    > ping the router and the WAP.
    >
    > The strange thing is, is that this used to work. The only change I can
    > remember making is installing a new version of Norton Anti-Virus on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > I have tried disabling Norton and then repinging, but that does not
    > work either!
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?

    First place to look is your Windows SP2 Firewall settings, which may have
    been changed in the Norton update. The firewall is designed to prevent
    uninvited signals (such as a ping!) from coming in.

    This makes logical sense to me because, when you ping the Linux server from
    the laptop, the server's response is an invited one, but the server's ping
    comes to the laptop unannounced and would be rejected by the firewall.

    You can make an exception for your server in the firewall settings.

    --
    P.

  3. Re: Network problem - Linux to Windows XP

    "Baggsy" wrote in message
    news:1164287989.278153.252020@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > My environment:
    >
    > I have a Windows XP laptop and a Mandriva 2006 Linux server.
    >
    > The Linux server is connected directly to my LAN switch and my laptop
    > is connected to a Wireless Access Point which in turn is connected to
    > the same LAN switch as my Linux server.
    >
    > There is also a router connected the the LAN switch which is also the
    > DHCP server.
    >
    > Myproblem:
    >
    > I cannot ping from the Linux server to my laptop.

    Win XP service pack 2's wonderful firewall? Zonealarm if you are running
    that doesn't have the Linux machine as a host in the trusted zone. Norton
    or other firewall installed doing the same?

    Remove yourself from the Internet

    Disable anything/everything to do with firewalls on both machines and see if
    it then works.

    Just because you can't ping doesn't mean other services aren't available.
    If all services have stopped such as being able to browse the XP box over
    the network then suspect either the add on firewall or wonderful MS firewall
    behaving like junk. If you have a firewall running on the Linux box then
    stop that running too. Always start testing from the position of nothing to
    cause obstructions on either side. Re-implement in stages so you can
    determine what is causing the issue.

    > I can ping from my laptop to the Linux server and the Linux server can
    > ping the router and the WAP.
    >
    > The strange thing is, is that this used to work. The only change I can
    > remember making is installing a new version of Norton Anti-Virus on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > I have tried disabling Norton and then repinging, but that does not
    > work either!
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Here is the ifconfig output from the Linux server if that helps:

    Also need the output of ipconfig /all on the MS box - start menu, run -
    type in cmd and hit enter, ipconfig/all, half information isn't always what
    is required.

    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:C7:42:66:AC
    > inet addr:192.168.84.3 Bcast:192.168.84.255
    > Mask:255.255.255.0
    > inet6 addr: fe80::208:c7ff:fe42:66ac/64 Scope:Link
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > TX packets:50717 errors:266 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:266
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:20397657 (19.4 MiB) TX bytes:23579964 (22.4 MiB)
    > Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1020
    >
    > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:32693503 (31.1 MiB) TX bytes:32693503 (31.1 MiB)

    Andrew Ed

  4. Re: Network problem - Linux to Windows XP

    Baggsy wrote:

    > I can ping from my laptop to the Linux server and the Linux server can
    > ping the router and the WAP.
    >
    > The strange thing is, is that this used to work. The only change I can
    > remember making is installing a new version of Norton Anti-Virus on my
    > laptop.

    Well, here we go. The new Norton version includes some "internet worm
    blocking" feature, which is a firewall driver without much you can change
    there. You need to purchase the full internet security product to get a
    configurable (and lan-aware) firewall.
    Probably you wull have to uninstall all of norton, especially all the sym*
    drivers, to regain control of your xp lap.
    Or linux, if there is a chance it works with your wlan chips.

  5. Re: Network problem - Linux to Windows XP

    Thanks to everyone who replied!

    It was the Firewall settings - I enabled all of the ICMP options and it
    worked!

    Thanks again

    Darren

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Baggsy wrote:

    > > I can ping from my laptop to the Linux server and the Linux server can
    > > ping the router and the WAP.
    > >
    > > The strange thing is, is that this used to work. The only change I can
    > > remember making is installing a new version of Norton Anti-Virus on my
    > > laptop.
    > >

    > Well, here we go. The new Norton version includes some "internet worm
    > blocking" feature, which is a firewall driver without much you can change
    > there. You need to purchase the full internet security product to get a
    > configurable (and lan-aware) firewall.
    > Probably you wull have to uninstall all of norton, especially all the sym*
    > drivers, to regain control of your xp lap.
    > Or linux, if there is a chance it works with your wlan chips.
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread