Urpmi database locked - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Urpmi database locked - Mandrake ; On Mandriva 2007 x86_64 After doing "urpmi --auto-select" and completing it, I am now unable to install anything, with either urpmi, Configure your Computer or just clicking on an "rpm" icon. Nor can I change my selected mirror as I ...

  1. Urpmi database locked

    On Mandriva 2007 x86_64

    After doing "urpmi --auto-select" and completing it, I am now unable to
    install anything, with either urpmi, Configure your Computer or just
    clicking on an "rpm" icon. Nor can I change my selected mirror as I get the
    message:
    "Urpmi database locked"
    I have tried "Urpmi --nolock" with no success.
    I had this problem before and re-installing solved it. I want to avoid
    having to do that again.
    Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    --
    Rgds.
    Edward

  2. Re: Urpmi database locked

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:06:10 +1100, Edward wrote:
    > On Mandriva 2007 x86_64
    >
    > After doing "urpmi --auto-select" and completing it, I am now unable to
    > install anything, with either urpmi, Configure your Computer or just
    > clicking on an "rpm" icon. Nor can I change my selected mirror as I get the
    > message:
    > "Urpmi database locked"

    Urpmi database locked in the first box
    *mandriva in the Newsgroup box

    Results 1 - 7 of 7 for Urpmi database locked group:*mandriva* (0.10 seconds)

  3. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Solution:

    "Edward" wrote in message
    > On Mandriva 2007 x86_64
    >
    > After doing "urpmi --auto-select" and completing it, I am now unable to
    > install anything, with either urpmi, Configure your Computer or just
    > clicking on an "rpm" icon. Nor can I change my selected mirror as I get
    > the
    > message:
    > "Urpmi database locked"
    > I have tried "Urpmi --nolock" with no success.
    > I had this problem before and re-installing solved it. I want to avoid
    > having to do that again.
    > Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > TIA
    > --
    > Rgds.
    > Edward
    > Registered Linux User No. 224802

  4. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Edward wrote:

    > On Mandriva 2007 x86_64
    >
    > After doing "urpmi --auto-select" and completing it, I am now unable
    > to install anything, with either urpmi, Configure your Computer or
    > just clicking on an "rpm" icon. Nor can I change my selected mirror
    > as I get the message:
    > "Urpmi database locked"
    > I have tried "Urpmi --nolock" with no success.
    > I had this problem before and re-installing solved it. I want to
    > avoid having to do that again.
    > Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > TIA

    When I get this, I just reboot and its sorted.

    Dave

  5. Re: Urpmi database locked

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:06:10 +1100, Edward wrote:

    > "Urpmi database locked"
    > I have tried "Urpmi --nolock" with no success.
    > I had this problem before and re-installing solved it. I want to avoid
    > having to do that again.
    > Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Oh boy I had that happen once before and it was a real hassle. Have you
    tried running the command line version? As best as I can remember mine
    locked when trying to update KDE and I was doing it from within KDE.

    It that fails try the rebuild database commands including the rpm
    command options.

  6. Re: Urpmi database locked

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:18:33 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> On Mandriva 2007 x86_64
    >>
    >> After doing "urpmi --auto-select" and completing it, I am now unable to
    >> install anything, with either urpmi, Configure your Computer or just
    >> clicking on an "rpm" icon. Nor can I change my selected mirror as I get the
    >> message:
    >> "Urpmi database locked"

    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > Urpmi database locked in the first box
    > *mandriva in the Newsgroup box

    > Results 1 - 7 of 7 for Urpmi database locked group:*mandriva* (0.10 seconds)

    You guys were lucky. Not even that worked for me. I finally got it going
    again but I can't remember exactly what I did.

  7. Re: Urpmi database locked

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:28:33 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > You guys were lucky. Not even that worked for me. I finally got it going
    > again but I can't remember exactly what I did.

    Happened to me yesterday, coincidentally. Only way out for me was
    rebooting.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  8. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:28:33 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >
    >> You guys were lucky. Not even that worked for me. I finally got it going
    >> again but I can't remember exactly what I did.

    > Happened to me yesterday, coincidentally. Only way out for me was
    > rebooting.

    10 seconds of Google would have given you the *correct* answer!

    Two lock files are created in '/var/lib/urpmi' - .LOCK and .RPMLOCK. If
    either of these exist, delete them. Then rerun rpm or urpmi.

    Chris

  9. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:28:33 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >>
    >>> You guys were lucky. Not even that worked for me. I finally got it going
    >>> again but I can't remember exactly what I did.

    >> Happened to me yesterday, coincidentally. Only way out for me was
    >> rebooting.

    > 10 seconds of Google would have given you the *correct* answer!
    >
    > Two lock files are created in '/var/lib/urpmi' - .LOCK and .RPMLOCK. If
    > either of these exist, delete them. Then rerun rpm or urpmi.
    >
    > Chris

    Just out of interest, I went to /var/lib/urmpi and found I had both
    ..rpmlock (which had a 'x' on it's icon, so I guessed that, just as a
    user I couldn't delete it.) and .lock, which didn't have an 'x' on its
    icon, but I couldn't delete it either.

    So I open a terminal, opened Nautilus as root, went to /var/lib/urmpi
    and both files were not showing. Now, I've finished as root and looked
    at /var/lib/urmpi and there they are again.

    How come?

    Daniel

  10. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Daniel wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    >>> Happened to me yesterday, coincidentally. Only way out for me was
    >>> rebooting.

    >> 10 seconds of Google would have given you the *correct* answer!
    >>
    >> Two lock files are created in '/var/lib/urpmi' - .LOCK and .RPMLOCK. If
    >> either of these exist, delete them. Then rerun rpm or urpmi.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    > Just out of interest, I went to /var/lib/urmpi and found I had both
    > .rpmlock (which had a 'x' on it's icon, so I guessed that, just as a
    > user I couldn't delete it.) and .lock, which didn't have an 'x' on its
    > icon, but I couldn't delete it either.
    >
    > So I open a terminal, opened Nautilus as root, went to /var/lib/urmpi
    > and both files were not showing. Now, I've finished as root and looked
    > at /var/lib/urmpi and there they are again.
    >
    > How come?
    >
    > Daniel

    The fullstop at the beginning of the filename should be a clue - it makes
    the file "hidden". Nautilus may have an option to "show hidden files" - if
    so, use it! I normally just delete these files from the command line -
    it's usually quicker than messing around with a GUI.

    As a useful exercise for the reader - why don't you write a little Bash
    script to delete these files? You can put it somewhere memorable (I have a
    folder in my /home called /utilities), and if you include 'su' in it, you
    can have it prompt you for the root password, navigate to the appropriate
    folder, delete the files, then exit from root, report what it's done and
    exit.

    Chris

  11. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:

    >>> 10 seconds of Google would have given you the *correct* answer!
    >>>
    >>> Two lock files are created in '/var/lib/urpmi' - .LOCK and .RPMLOCK. If
    >>> either of these exist, delete them. Then rerun rpm or urpmi.
    >>>
    >>> Chris
    >>>

    >> Just out of interest, I went to /var/lib/urmpi and found I had both
    >> .rpmlock (which had a 'x' on it's icon, so I guessed that, just as a
    >> user I couldn't delete it.) and .lock, which didn't have an 'x' on its
    >> icon, but I couldn't delete it either.
    >>
    >> So I open a terminal, opened Nautilus as root, went to /var/lib/urmpi
    >> and both files were not showing. Now, I've finished as root and looked
    >> at /var/lib/urmpi and there they are again.
    >>
    >> How come?
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > The fullstop at the beginning of the filename should be a clue - it makes
    > the file "hidden". Nautilus may have an option to "show hidden files" - if
    > so, use it! I normally just delete these files from the command line -
    > it's usually quicker than messing around with a GUI.
    >
    > As a useful exercise for the reader - why don't you write a little Bash
    > script to delete these files? You can put it somewhere memorable (I have a
    > folder in my /home called /utilities), and if you include 'su' in it, you
    > can have it prompt you for the root password, navigate to the appropriate
    > folder, delete the files, then exit from root, report what it's done and
    > exit.
    >
    > Chris

    Well, that's my thing learned for today...Even though I may have the
    "show hidden files" set as a user, hidden files are not naturally shown
    as root.

    Sort of makes sense, but, then, if root can do everything, why isn't
    root shown all things, naturally?

    Daniel

  12. Re: Urpmi database locked

    Daniel wrote:

    > Well, that's my thing learned for today...Even though I may have the
    > "show hidden files" set as a user, hidden files are not naturally shown
    > as root.
    >
    > Sort of makes sense, but, then, if root can do everything, why isn't
    > root shown all things, naturally?
    >
    > Daniel

    File _attributes_ are the same whether you're root or not - so "hidden"
    files are hidden when you're root or a normal user. The "advantage" that
    root has is that he has unlimited _permissions_ so has access where a
    normal user doesn't. Settings applying to a normal user don't "carry over"
    to root - after all, he's /another/ user!

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread