Audio CD problem - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Audio CD problem - Mandrake ; Video clips will play under xine and I can hear any soundtrack O.K. If I insert an audio CD into the CD/DVD device, KsCD eventually comes up but the play progress bar is greyed out, along with the volume bar. ...

  1. Audio CD problem

    Video clips will play under xine and I can hear any soundtrack O.K.
    If I insert an audio CD into the CD/DVD device, KsCD eventually comes up
    but the play progress bar is greyed out, along with the volume bar. The
    current track details are displayed.

    I have run through troubleshooting IXP400 AC'97 Audio controller's
    suggestions and I display the results below but I cannot identify what is
    going wrong. Can anyone check this for me. TIA.

    The classic bug sound tester is to run the following commands:

    - "lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO" will tell you which driver your card uses by default
    - "grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf" will tell you what driver it currently uses
    - "/sbin/lsmod" will enable you to check if its module (driver) is loaded or not
    - "/sbin/chkconfig --list sound" and "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsa" will tell you if
    sound and alsa services're configured to be run on initlevel 3
    - "aumix -q" will tell you if the sound volume is muted or not
    - "/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp" will tell which program uses the sound card.

    [root@localhost john]# lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO

    snd-atiixp : ATI Technologies Inc.|IXP400 AC'97 Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1002 device:4370 subv:103c subd:2a25)
    [root@localhost john]# grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-atiixp

    [root@localhost john]# /sbin/lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    sg 30776 0
    ipv6 237120 14
    usblp 12352 0
    8139too 22880 0
    mii 5664 1 8139too
    snd_seq_dummy 3620 0
    snd_seq_oss 31392 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 7072 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 49488 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 7212 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    af_packet 17960 2
    snd_pcm_oss 40384 0
    snd_mixer_oss 16096 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_atiixp 16172 3
    snd_ac97_codec 96868 1 snd_atiixp
    snd_ac97_bus 2848 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm 70116 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer 19620 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 8712 2 snd_atiixp,snd_pcm
    snd 46500 14 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_t imer
    soundcore 8096 1 snd
    video 13924 0
    thermal 11240 0
    processor 21448 1 thermal
    fan 4036 0
    container 3968 0
    button 5808 0
    battery 8260 0
    ac 4292 0
    ide_cd 35776 1
    binfmt_misc 9800 1
    loop 15400 0
    nls_utf8 2624 1
    nls_cp437 6464 1
    vfat 11104 1
    fat 46876 1 vfat
    sata_sil 7784 0
    libata 60940 1 sata_sil
    scsi_mod 119016 2 sg,libata
    dm_mod 49944 0
    amd64_agp 10948 0
    agpgart 27240 1 amd64_agp
    ohci1394 32240 0
    ieee1394 286264 1 ohci1394
    ehci_hcd 29160 0
    ohci_hcd 19012 0
    usbcore 113472 4 usblp,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
    tsdev 7040 0
    evdev 8864 1
    ext3 124936 5
    jbd 51028 1 ext3
    [root@localhost john]# /sbin/chkconfig --list sound
    sound 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    [root@localhost john]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa
    alsa 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    [root@localhost john]# aumix -q
    vol 100, 100, P
    pcm 77, 77
    speaker 80, 80
    line 77, 77, P
    mic 0, 0, R
    cd 77, 77, P
    igain 80, 80
    line1 77, 77, P
    dig1 0, 0
    phin 77, 77, P
    phout 100, 100, P
    video 100, 100, P

  2. Re: Audio CD problem

    You may want to try alsaconf from console su of course. should set up your
    sound and tell you if everything is working. Not sure if you have to
    install alsaconf or not, if so try urpmi to get it.

    good luck
    RV

  3. Re: Audio CD problem

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 04:19:01 +0000, Evo wrote:

    > You may want to try alsaconf from console su of course. should set up your
    > sound and tell you if everything is working. Not sure if you have to
    > install alsaconf or not, if so try urpmi to get it.
    >
    > good luck
    > RV

    Sadly, that seems to have made things worse (I'm not blaming you)!
    Upon one reboot I saw a dialog headed 'Error Amorok' with 'xine was unable
    to initialise any audio driver. Yet going into the control center and
    runing the sound config tool gave:

    'driver selected for ATi Technologies Inc| IXP400 is snd-atixp

    # grep sound_slot /etc/modprobe.conf only brought back the prompt #
    # /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp returned to the prompt.

    Throughout my tests I have kept all kmix's sliders near the top.

+ Reply to Thread