user - Mandrake

This is a discussion on user - Mandrake ; I have been using Mandriva 2006 and on installing it, added three users using separate names. It worked well. I have upgraded to Mandriva 2007 when installing it I added the same three users I did not nominate a preferred ...

  1. user

    I have been using Mandriva 2006 and on installing it, added three users
    using separate names. It worked well.
    I have upgraded to Mandriva 2007 when installing it I added the same
    three users I did not nominate a preferred user. When I booted it up, I can
    open the desktop using the first named user, but When I try to change
    users, this message came up, "Could not kstartupconfig.Check your
    installation". I did that, but it did not solve the problem.
    It was suggested I reboot and open the desktop with another user,
    but that did not work either, the same message reappeared. Could anyone
    solve my problem of not being able to open the desktop with either one of
    the other users? Please demonstrate, if possible, the way it should be
    achieved.

    I would like to thank the person who answered my first question.

  2. Re: user

    Ron wrote:

    > I have been using Mandriva 2006 and on installing it, added three users
    > using separate names. It worked well.
    > I have upgraded to Mandriva 2007 when installing it I added the
    > same
    > three users I did not nominate a preferred user. When I booted it up, I
    > can open the desktop using the first named user, but When I try to change
    > users, this message came up, "Could not kstartupconfig.Check your
    > installation". I did that, but it did not solve the problem.
    > It was suggested I reboot and open the desktop with another
    > user,
    > but that did not work either, the same message reappeared. Could anyone
    > solve my problem of not being able to open the desktop with either one of
    > the other users? Please demonstrate, if possible, the way it should be
    > achieved.
    >
    > I would like to thank the person who answered my first question.

    What you may try is to login with the working user, open a terminal window
    and su to root.

    Do an ls -la /home

    Do all three of your users have a Directory? Are the group and owner the
    same as the directory?

  3. Re: user

    Ron wrote:

    > I have been using Mandriva 2006 and on installing it, added three users
    > using separate names. It worked well.
    > I have upgraded to Mandriva 2007 when installing it I added the
    > same
    > three users I did not nominate a preferred user. When I booted it up, I

    You _upgraded_. So the 3 users have already been there or did you
    reformat /home even though just upgrading?

    > can open the desktop using the first named user, but When I try to change
    > users, this message came up, "Could not kstartupconfig.Check your
    > installation". I did that, but it did not solve the problem.

    Something is flawed. Either you have updated and the users are already
    there, but you formatted their $HOMEs, or the reverse: you reformatted /
    with /etc/passwd in it, recreated the users in another order assigning them
    partially different UIDs, and then ended up (when _not_ also
    reformatting /home) with wrong UIDs for your existing homedirs.

    In the latter case, you can fix it this way:
    You may become root in a console window/konsole through su, then
    - cd /home
    - ls -ld *
    - look for numbers in the owner field
    - change ownership recursively with "chown -R $USER:$USER" where $USER
    matches the name of the dir ($USERs $HOME).

  4. Re: user

    Ron wrote:

    > I have been using Mandriva 2006 and on installing it, added three users
    > using separate names. It worked well.
    > I have upgraded to Mandriva 2007 when installing it I added the
    > same
    > three users I did not nominate a preferred user. When I booted it up, I
    > can open the desktop using the first named user, but When I try to change
    > users, this message came up, "Could not kstartupconfig.Check your
    > installation". I did that, but it did not solve the problem.
    > It was suggested I reboot and open the desktop with another
    > user,
    > but that did not work either, the same message reappeared. Could anyone
    > solve my problem of not being able to open the desktop with either one of
    > the other users? Please demonstrate, if possible, the way it should be
    > achieved.
    >
    > I would like to thank the person who answered my first question.

    Probably the Autologin mode is set for this user.
    To switch this off got to: MCC->Boot->Configuring the login mode,
    and check "No, i do not want autologin.

    Regards,
    Luc

  5. Re: user

    > Ron wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using Mandriva 2006 and on installing it, added three users
    >> using separate names. It worked well.
    >> I have upgraded to Mandriva 2007 when installing it I added the
    >> same
    >> three users I did not nominate a preferred user. When I booted it up, I
    >> can open the desktop using the first named user, but When I try to change
    >> users, this message came up, "Could not kstartupconfig.Check your
    >> installation". I did that, but it did not solve the problem.
    >> It was suggested I reboot and open the desktop with another
    >> user,
    >> but that did not work either, the same message reappeared. Could anyone
    >> solve my problem of not being able to open the desktop with either one of
    >> the other users? Please demonstrate, if possible, the way it should be
    >> achieved.

    When I switch users, it starts another GUI console on F8, and starts it
    with the login screen. Did that happen on your system, or did the
    message come up in the existing KDE session?

    Donald

+ Reply to Thread