Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1 - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1 - Mandrake ; Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak. I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux ...

  1. Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot
    Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak.

    I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and
    am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux
    10.1 PowerPak, and am looking for advice for a painless install.

    Step 1. Do a Ghost back up of the complete HD onto DVD's.

    then..............

    Obviously, I don't want to lose my ./home drive and I've just installed
    a new Java in ./usr/java. Will these be safe?

    Will I end up with OpenOffice Ver 1.1 (from 10.1) and Ver 2.x (from 2007)?

    Will my saved Games by safe?

    Should I try D/L'ing and installing the latest Kernel now (I'm on dial-up!)?

    In other words, should this be a painless upgrade, a reasonable painless
    upgrade or a real pain in the but???

    TIA

    Daniel

  2. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    Daniel wrote:
    > Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot
    > Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak.
    >
    > I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and
    > am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux
    > 10.1 PowerPak, and am looking for advice for a painless install.
    >
    > Step 1. Do a Ghost back up of the complete HD onto DVD's.
    >
    > then..............
    >
    > Obviously, I don't want to lose my ./home drive and I've just installed
    > a new Java in ./usr/java. Will these be safe?
    >
    > Will I end up with OpenOffice Ver 1.1 (from 10.1) and Ver 2.x (from 2007)?
    >
    > Will my saved Games by safe?
    >
    > Should I try D/L'ing and installing the latest Kernel now (I'm on
    > dial-up!)?
    >
    > In other words, should this be a painless upgrade, a reasonable painless
    > upgrade or a real pain in the but???
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    All upgrades are a pain in the butt, it is their basic nature. The
    answers to all your questions are "yes, but ...."

    Donald

  3. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:04:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    > Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot
    > Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak.
    >
    > I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and
    > am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux
    > 10.1 PowerPak, and am looking for advice for a painless install.

    Yeeeeouch, updating from one release to another is bad enough, skipping
    several is asking for trouble. Suggestion:
    slrncf00j3.n1v.BitTwister@wb.home.invalid <===== in Message Id box

    I recommend creating a new ~6 gig partition format ext3 and do a clean install.
    Then you can have a multiboot selection with fallback incase one goes bad.
    Just pick custom during Partition phase, click the new partition and
    install goes there.

    Once you have booted up, add old install to boot loader and you should
    be able to boot either one.

    Yes, backups are alwasy a good idea.

    You might want to read
    Dial-up, Yea gads. You still will need several updates and a kernel
    update after cd install. You might look around for a Linux User Group (LUG)
    or see where you can take your hardware to hook to a high speed
    connection to get your downloads.

  4. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:04:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot
    > Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak.
    >
    > I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and
    > am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux
    > 10.1 PowerPak, and am looking for advice for a painless install.
    >
    > Step 1. Do a Ghost back up of the complete HD onto DVD's.
    >
    > then..............
    >
    > Obviously, I don't want to lose my ./home drive and I've just installed
    > a new Java in ./usr/java. Will these be safe?
    >
    > Will I end up with OpenOffice Ver 1.1 (from 10.1) and Ver 2.x (from 2007)?
    >
    > Will my saved Games by safe?
    >
    > Should I try D/L'ing and installing the latest Kernel now (I'm on dial-up!)?
    >
    > In other words, should this be a painless upgrade, a reasonable painless
    > upgrade or a real pain in the but???
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    Wireless is still a pain in the backside. KDE's autohide feature sucks big
    time. I've found some issues with Firefox not starting for some
    users. Sometimes an upgrade goes OK but sometimes a fresh install is
    required. 2007 takes twice as much disk space so be sure your /usr
    partition is large enough. On my laptop with a 20 GB drive, I had a 2.7 GB
    /usr partition but ran out of space on it when installing 2007 so I had to
    resize my partitions (and it gave me an incentive to eliminate the windows
    partition). An upgrade should do just that, upgrade your existing
    packages (so you should have only the latest OpenOffice and latest java).
    A fresh install only reformats / and /usr unless you screw up (in other
    words, a fresh install shouldn't wipe out your /home partition - it never
    has wiped out mine). Downloading a new kernel on dial up will take quite a
    bit of time.

  5. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    johnny wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:04:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot
    >> Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak.
    >>
    >> I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and
    >> am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux
    >> 10.1 PowerPak, and am looking for advice for a painless install.
    >>
    >> Step 1. Do a Ghost back up of the complete HD onto DVD's.
    >>
    >> then..............
    >>
    >> Obviously, I don't want to lose my ./home drive and I've just installed
    >> a new Java in ./usr/java. Will these be safe?
    >>
    >> Will I end up with OpenOffice Ver 1.1 (from 10.1) and Ver 2.x (from 2007)?
    >>
    >> Will my saved Games by safe?
    >>
    >> Should I try D/L'ing and installing the latest Kernel now (I'm on dial-up!)?
    >>
    >> In other words, should this be a painless upgrade, a reasonable painless
    >> upgrade or a real pain in the but???
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Daniel
    >>

    > Wireless is still a pain in the backside.

    Don't really use Wireless, ATT, so thats no prob.

    KDE's autohide feature sucks big
    > time. I've found some issues with Firefox not starting for some
    > users.

    Hopefully Seamonkey will not have these probs.

    Sometimes an upgrade goes OK but sometimes a fresh install is
    > required. 2007 takes twice as much disk space so be sure your /usr
    > partition is large enough. On my laptop with a 20 GB drive, I had a 2.7 GB
    > /usr partition but ran out of space on it when installing 2007 so I had to
    > resize my partitions (and it gave me an incentive to eliminate the windows
    > partition). An upgrade should do just that, upgrade your existing
    > packages (so you should have only the latest OpenOffice and latest java).
    > A fresh install only reformats / and /usr unless you screw up (in other
    > words, a fresh install shouldn't wipe out your /home partition - it never
    > has wiped out mine). Downloading a new kernel on dial up will take quite a
    > bit of time.

    Here, you raise a problem in my understanding of the (L)unix system.

    In DOS/Win98, my C: is a particular size, my D: is a particular size.
    When they're full, I need more HD or get rid of the junk.

    With my current MandrakeLinux 10.1, it appears to me I've got 88G bytes
    to use as I desire. Downloading stuff into my ./Home, no problems, got
    88G to use. Want to install stuff in my ./usr, no problems, got 88G.
    Want to stick stuff in my ./var, no problems, got 88G. Sure, I need
    higher permissions to get do this in some mounts, but still, it's all
    one drive

    My DOS/Win98 trained head says under Linux, I've really got one 88G
    drive called ./ so I wonder why Linux is so much safer than Windoes.

    When do I get to allocate specific HD space to ./var, ./home, etc.? Is
    this a part of the installation of MandrakeLinux 10.1 that I
    missed/sidestepped, or what??

    (Note: when I partitioned my HD to install MD 10.1, I used Partition
    Magic V8 to set the drive up as I wanted.)

    Daniel

  6. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:50:40 -0500, Daniel wrote:

    > When do I get to allocate specific HD space to ./var, ./home, etc.? Is
    > this a part of the installation of MandrakeLinux 10.1 that I
    > missed/sidestepped, or what??
    > (Note: when I partitioned my HD to install MD 10.1, I used Partition
    > Magic V8 to set the drive up as I wanted.)

    First, if you do install 2007 over 10.1, and keep your existing /home
    partition, rename all config directories/files, such as .kde, .gnome,
    etc, as the old config files will not work with the new versions.

    When you partition the hd, you decide which filesystems will reside
    on which partitions. During the actual install, you select which
    filesystems will be mounted where. If you choose to, you can simply use
    one partition for swap, and the rest for /, or you can be as complex
    as you want. I currently have win98, xp pro, Mandriva 2006 as a backup,
    and Mandriva 2007, as my main system. While running 2007, with all
    filesystems mounted, the output of mount and df are as appended.

    I have seperate filesystems for /, /boot, /var, /home, /opt, /tmp, /usr,
    /var/mnt, /var/log, /home/dave.

    I've done this to ensure / never gets filled (preventing a reboot), by
    an install, a log file filling up, or copying large files to a directory
    that is normally used as a mount point, but which is currently not mounted.

    Other differences between my setup, and the "normal" setup ...

    I've deleted /mnt, created a small file system mounted as /var/mnt, and
    have floppy, cd, win partitions, and my backup (2006) system, all mounted
    using directories under /var/mnt. I've done this, as I once copied some
    install iso files to my large shared dir, which I have on /dev/hdb2. I
    did this while the filesystem was not mounted, and at that time, that
    meant the files were copied to the directory /mnt/hdb2, which was on
    the / filesystem. When I later rebooted, and the filesystem on hdb2
    was mounted using the mountpoint /mnt/hdb2, those files became invisible,
    but still took up most of the / filesystems space, until I figured out
    what had happened.

    Most of my filesystems are logical volumes, inside of a physical volume,
    that occupies one partition /dev/hda17. This allows me to resize
    the filesystems, and/or add new partitions, without having to change
    the actual partitioning, or move any data around. Read up on
    Logical volume management, if interested.

    I have /var/log on a regular partition, as my primary live cd, knoppix,
    doesn't work with LVM filesystems.

    My /home/dave filesystem, is stored in an encrypted logical volume,
    that gets setup as a loopback device, fscked, and then mounted,
    via a script, when I logon. If you check google groups for articles
    posted by me in alt.os.linux.mandriva, containing the string encrypted,
    you'll find several threads where I go into detail on several ways
    to do this.

    Note that when mounting a filesystem on a mount point, that is itself
    in a mounted filesystem, such as I have with /var/log being mounted
    after /var, the order of the entries in fstab becomes important.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    $ mount
    /dev/hda15 on / type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/hda14 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/mapper/LV2-var on /var type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV2-mnt on /var/mnt type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/hda16 on /var/log type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV2-home on /home type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV2-opt on /opt type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV2-tmp on /tmp type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV2-usr on /usr type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/hda13 on /var/mnt/hda13 type ntfs (ro,umask=0,nls=utf8)
    /dev/hda10 on /var/mnt/backup type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/hda8 on /var/mnt/backup/boot type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV5-home on /var/mnt/backup/home type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV5-opt on /var/mnt/backup/opt type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV5-usr on /var/mnt/backup/usr type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/mapper/LV5-var on /var/mnt/backup/var type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/hda11 on /var/mnt/backup/var/log type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/loop7 on /home/dave type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/hdb2 on /var/mnt/hdb2 type reiserfs (rw,notail)
    /dev/hda7 on /var/mnt/hda7 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users,umask=0,iocharset=is o8859-15,codepage=850)
    /dev/hda6 on /var/mnt/hda6 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users,umask=0,iocharset=is o8859-15,codepage=850)
    /dev/hda5 on /var/mnt/hda5 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users,umask=0,iocharset=is o8859-15,codepage=850)
    /dev/hda1 on /var/mnt/hda1 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users,umask=0,iocharset=is o8859-15,codepage=850)
    $ df
    /dev/hda15 377M 183M 195M 49% /
    /dev/hda14 61M 4.7M 53M 9% /boot
    /dev/mapper/LV2-var 8.0G 385M 7.6G 5% /var
    /dev/mapper/LV2-mnt 3.9M 43K 3.7M 2% /var/mnt
    /dev/hda16 126M 39M 88M 31% /var/log
    /dev/mapper/LV2-home 64M 34M 31M 52% /home
    /dev/mapper/LV2-opt 512M 33M 480M 7% /opt
    /dev/mapper/LV2-tmp 4.0G 33M 4.0G 1% /tmp
    /dev/mapper/LV2-usr 7.0G 4.9G 2.2G 70% /usr
    /dev/hda13 18G 12G 6.2G 66% /var/mnt/hda13
    /dev/hda10 259M 195M 65M 75% /var/mnt/backup
    /dev/hda8 63M 37M 27M 58% /var/mnt/backup/boot
    /dev/mapper/LV5-home 64M 33M 32M 51% /var/mnt/backup/home
    /dev/mapper/LV5-opt 384M 33M 352M 9% /var/mnt/backup/opt
    /dev/mapper/LV5-usr 5.0G 4.1G 985M 81% /var/mnt/backup/usr
    /dev/mapper/LV5-var 3.0G 254M 2.8G 9% /var/mnt/backup/var
    /dev/hda11 63M 42M 21M 67% /var/mnt/backup/var/log
    /dev/loop7 13G 11G 2.2G 83% /home/dave
    /dev/hdb2 44G 12G 33G 26% /var/mnt/hdb2
    /dev/hda7 517M 437M 81M 85% /var/mnt/hda7
    /dev/hda6 2.0G 1.9G 155M 93% /var/mnt/hda6
    /dev/hda5 1.1G 885M 141M 87% /var/mnt/hda5
    /dev/hda1 2.0G 1.7G 398M 81% /var/mnt/hda1

  7. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:50:40 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > johnny wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:04:34 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Currently Dual Boot Win98/Mandrake 10.1 PowerPak....soon to be dual boot
    >>> Win98/Mandravia 2007 PowerPak.
    >>>
    >>> I've just this day, received my boxed set of Mandravia 2007 PowerPak and
    >>> am getting up the guts to install it over the top of my MandrakeLinux
    >>> 10.1 PowerPak, and am looking for advice for a painless install.
    >>>
    >>> Step 1. Do a Ghost back up of the complete HD onto DVD's.
    >>>
    >>> then..............
    >>>
    >>> Obviously, I don't want to lose my ./home drive and I've just installed
    >>> a new Java in ./usr/java. Will these be safe?
    >>>
    >>> Will I end up with OpenOffice Ver 1.1 (from 10.1) and Ver 2.x (from 2007)?
    >>>
    >>> Will my saved Games by safe?
    >>>
    >>> Should I try D/L'ing and installing the latest Kernel now (I'm on dial-up!)?
    >>>
    >>> In other words, should this be a painless upgrade, a reasonable painless
    >>> upgrade or a real pain in the but???
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Daniel
    >>>

    >> Wireless is still a pain in the backside.

    > Don't really use Wireless, ATT, so thats no prob.
    >
    > KDE's autohide feature sucks big
    >> time. I've found some issues with Firefox not starting for some
    >> users.

    > Hopefully Seamonkey will not have these probs.
    >
    > Sometimes an upgrade goes OK but sometimes a fresh install is
    >> required. 2007 takes twice as much disk space so be sure your /usr
    >> partition is large enough. On my laptop with a 20 GB drive, I had a 2.7 GB
    >> /usr partition but ran out of space on it when installing 2007 so I had to
    >> resize my partitions (and it gave me an incentive to eliminate the windows
    >> partition). An upgrade should do just that, upgrade your existing
    >> packages (so you should have only the latest OpenOffice and latest java).
    >> A fresh install only reformats / and /usr unless you screw up (in other
    >> words, a fresh install shouldn't wipe out your /home partition - it never
    >> has wiped out mine). Downloading a new kernel on dial up will take quite a
    >> bit of time.

    > Here, you raise a problem in my understanding of the (L)unix system.
    >
    > In DOS/Win98, my C: is a particular size, my D: is a particular size.
    > When they're full, I need more HD or get rid of the junk.

    DOS/Windows can have more than one partition. Usually this is done to
    organize the disk into separate areas for a particular purpose or when
    the installed OS has a size limitation for the hard disk. Partitioning
    is used when installing multiple operating systems
    (DOS/95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP) on one hard drive with a bootloader to select
    the OS you want to use. Or creating a partition specifically for the swap
    file (pagefile). In NT/2000/XP, you can add a second hard drive & do
    dynamic partitioning where both drives can be seen as one drive (drive
    C: for example). Here we get into the concept of volumes.

    > With my current MandrakeLinux 10.1, it appears to me I've got 88G bytes
    > to use as I desire. Downloading stuff into my ./Home, no problems, got
    > 88G to use. Want to install stuff in my ./usr, no problems, got 88G.
    > Want to stick stuff in my ./var, no problems, got 88G. Sure, I need
    > higher permissions to get do this in some mounts, but still, it's all
    > one drive
    >
    > My DOS/Win98 trained head says under Linux, I've really got one 88G
    > drive called ./ so I wonder why Linux is so much safer than Windoes.

    If you create partitions, you create separate sections on the drive.

    > When do I get to allocate specific HD space to ./var, ./home, etc.? Is
    > this a part of the installation of MandrakeLinux 10.1 that I
    > missed/sidestepped, or what??

    It's called custom disk partitioning during installation.

    > (Note: when I partitioned my HD to install MD 10.1, I used Partition
    > Magic V8 to set the drive up as I wanted.)
    >
    > Daniel

    I hope that I answered some of your questions adequately. Your questions
    about Linux vs. Windows security would require too much of my time to
    explain it.

  8. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
> [...]

    > /dev/hda16 126M 39M 88M 31% /var/log
    > /dev/mapper/LV2-home 64M 34M 31M 52% /home
    > /dev/mapper/LV2-opt 512M 33M 480M 7% /opt
    > /dev/mapper/LV2-tmp 4.0G 33M 4.0G 1% /tmp
    > /dev/mapper/LV2-usr 7.0G 4.9G 2.2G 70% /usr
    > /dev/hda13 18G 12G 6.2G 66% /var/mnt/hda13
    > /dev/hda10 259M 195M 65M 75% /var/mnt/backup
    > /dev/hda8 63M 37M 27M 58% /var/mnt/backup/boot
    > /dev/mapper/LV5-home 64M 33M 32M 51% /var/mnt/backup/home
    > /dev/mapper/LV5-opt 384M 33M 352M 9% /var/mnt/backup/opt
    > /dev/mapper/LV5-usr 5.0G 4.1G 985M 81% /var/mnt/backup/usr
    > /dev/mapper/LV5-var 3.0G 254M 2.8G 9% /var/mnt/backup/var
    > /dev/hda11 63M 42M 21M 67% /var/mnt/backup/var/log
    > /dev/loop7 13G 11G 2.2G 83% /home/dave
    > /dev/hdb2 44G 12G 33G 26% /var/mnt/hdb2
    > /dev/hda7 517M 437M 81M 85% /var/mnt/hda7
    > /dev/hda6 2.0G 1.9G 155M 93% /var/mnt/hda6
    > /dev/hda5 1.1G 885M 141M 87% /var/mnt/hda5
    > /dev/hda1 2.0G 1.7G 398M 81% /var/mnt/hda1

    Boy!! Is it just me, or does this look overly complex??

    Daniel
    (not as schmicked up as some!!)

  9. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On 2006-12-01, Daniel wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:50:40 -0500, Daniel wrote:

    snip

    > Boy!! Is it just me, or does this look overly complex??

    Mind-boggling.

    I have a partition for /data which is meant to be accessible from either
    of the distros currently installed, each of which goes entirely into a
    single / partition. I also have a swap partition, of course.

    Currently, I'm slowly getting Mdv2007 into shape while using Mdv2005.
    When I'm satisfied with Mdv2007 for everyday use, I may go back to playing
    with other distros in the partition currently occupied by Mdv2005.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  10. Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:24:17 -0500, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-12-01, Daniel wrote:
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:50:40 -0500, Daniel wrote:

    > snip
    >
    >> Boy!! Is it just me, or does this look overly complex??

    > Mind-boggling.

    LOL! Part of the complexity is in response to specific problems,
    like /var/log filling the root partition. Similar with copying
    large files to a directory (unmounted mount point) in /mnt. Part
    is due to my choice to experiment with things like logical volume
    managment, and full partition encryption. Also, having 4 OS's
    installed, with all filesystems available to each os, as far as
    the os will support it.

    My point was that you can use the defaults, which the op pointed
    out was no safer than a standard windows setup, or you can get
    as complicated as you wish, having some file systems ro, etc.

    With linux, it's all about personal choice.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Update was Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    Dual booting 120 Gb HD with 30 Gb allocated to my Win98 drives, 2 Gb for
    Linux Swap and, originally, 88 Gb for Mandrake 10.1

    I've now twice been through the MD2007 installation.

    First time I left MD 10.1 with a 10 Gb partition and the other 78 Gb for
    MD2007. When I went through and selected what packages I wanted, and
    completed the installation, I just ended up at a command line, no
    graphic interfaces (was it Xobj, or something, that I should have
    entered???)

    Second time, I further divided the 78 Gb into a 10 Gb MD2007 partition
    and a 68 Gb "Journalised"??? partition. I figured this way I could put
    all my stuff in the 68 Gb partition and, as I updated systems, I could
    alternate the installs between the two 10 GB partitions.

    Again I just ended at a commandline interface, still got to get the
    system to boot straight into the graphical interface. Fortunately, I was
    able, somehow, to boot up into the MD10.1 system, but the effort continues.

    Daniel

  12. Re: Update was Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:33:38 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    > Dual booting 120 Gb HD with 30 Gb allocated to my Win98 drives, 2 Gb for
    > Linux Swap and, originally, 88 Gb for Mandrake 10.1
    >
    > I've now twice been through the MD2007 installation.
    >
    > First time I left MD 10.1 with a 10 Gb partition and the other 78 Gb for
    > MD2007. When I went through and selected what packages I wanted, and
    > completed the installation, I just ended up at a command line, no
    > graphic interfaces (was it Xobj, or something, that I should have
    > entered???)

    Hmmm, does
    startx
    work after you login as dxmm?

  13. Re: Update was Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux10.1

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:33:38 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> Dual booting 120 Gb HD with 30 Gb allocated to my Win98 drives, 2 Gb for
    >> Linux Swap and, originally, 88 Gb for Mandrake 10.1
    >>
    >> I've now twice been through the MD2007 installation.
    >>
    >> First time I left MD 10.1 with a 10 Gb partition and the other 78 Gb for
    >> MD2007. When I went through and selected what packages I wanted, and
    >> completed the installation, I just ended up at a command line, no
    >> graphic interfaces (was it Xobj, or something, that I should have
    >> entered???)

    > Hmmm, does
    > startx
    > work after you login as dxmm?

    Thank you. I was just looking in the a.o.l.mandravia group and one of
    the threads there was about drakx and that, sort of, sparked something
    in me, but startx sparks a lot more.

    Daniel

  14. Re: Update was Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:48:07 +1100, Daniel wrote:

    > Thank you. I was just looking in the a.o.l.mandravia group and one of

    Yes, saw your post and wondered why you had not answered here instead
    of duplicating it over there.

    > the threads there was about drakx and that, sort of, sparked something
    > in me, but startx sparks a lot more.

    Sorry you did not answer the question.

    In the future, you may want to post your 2007 questions in the
    Mandriva newsgroup.

    I think you will find the same regulars there also.

  15. Re: Update was Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux10.1

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:48:07 +1100, Daniel wrote:
    >> Thank you. I was just looking in the a.o.l.mandravia group and one of

    > Yes, saw your post and wondered why you had not answered here instead
    > of duplicating it over there.
    >
    >> the threads there was about drakx and that, sort of, sparked something
    >> in me, but startx sparks a lot more.

    > Sorry you did not answer the question.
    >
    > In the future, you may want to post your 2007 questions in the
    > Mandriva newsgroup.
    >
    > I think you will find the same regulars there also.

    O.K., BT, you caught me out. I had meant to post this "Update" thread in
    a.o.l.mandravia, but confused myself. I've started a thread over there,
    with what happened when I entered "startx" and the thread is called "No
    Graphical Interface"

    Thanks.

    Daniel

  16. Re: Update was Re: Installing Mandravia 2007 over MandrakeLinux 10.1

    On Sunday 03 December 2006 10:24, Daniel stood up and addressed the masses
    in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > O.K., BT, you caught me out. I had meant to post this "Update" thread in
    > a.o.l.mandravia, but confused myself. [...]

    Slightly off-topic perhaps, but you continue to make me chuckle whenever you
    write "Mandravia". ;-) It's called /*Mandriva*/ now. ;-)

    Just a FYI, of course. ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  17. Re: Update was Re: Installing Mandriva 2007 over MandrakeLinux10.1

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 03 December 2006 10:24, Daniel stood up and addressed the masses
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> O.K., BT, you caught me out. I had meant to post this "Update" thread in
    >> a.o.l.mandriva, but confused myself. [...]

    > Slightly off-topic perhaps, but you continue to make me chuckle whenever you
    > write "Mandravia". ;-) It's called /*Mandriva*/ now. ;-)
    >
    > Just a FYI, of course. ;-)

    Who? Me?? Make a spelling error?? Never been know to happen, Aragon.

    Daniel