Grub as a secondary boot loader? - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Grub as a secondary boot loader? - Mandrake ; I just installed yet another Linux Distro on one of my machines. It installed Grub. But I have another Boot manager (GAG) in the MBR. I can install LILO to the root partition (from the /etc/lilo.conf "boot=/dev/hda7") and point my ...

  1. Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    I just installed yet another Linux Distro
    on one of my machines. It installed Grub.
    But I have another Boot manager (GAG) in the MBR.

    I can install LILO to the root partition
    (from the /etc/lilo.conf "boot=/dev/hda7")
    and point my primary boot manager to that partition
    and LILO then boots the kernel on that ditribution.

    My question is how can Grub be installed (configured) to a partition
    (instead of the MBR) to be used as a secondary boot loader?

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  2. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    On 2006-11-19, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > I just installed yet another Linux Distro
    > on one of my machines. It installed Grub.
    > But I have another Boot manager (GAG) in the MBR.
    >
    > I can install LILO to the root partition
    > (from the /etc/lilo.conf "boot=/dev/hda7")
    > and point my primary boot manager to that partition
    > and LILO then boots the kernel on that ditribution.
    >
    > My question is how can Grub be installed (configured) to a partition
    > (instead of the MBR) to be used as a secondary boot loader?

    I just did that with Mandriva 2006, but using SBM instead of
    GAG. Using mcc, it was almost trivial. I clicked on the
    icons for booting, and selected to write Grub to the root
    partition (it actually writes to the /boot partition), and
    it did the job. Again, it was so almost trivially easy it
    felt like cheating.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    On 2006-11-19, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2006-11-19, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >> I just installed yet another Linux Distro
    >> on one of my machines. It installed Grub.
    >> But I have another Boot manager (GAG) in the MBR.
    >>
    >> I can install LILO to the root partition
    >> (from the /etc/lilo.conf "boot=/dev/hda7")
    >> and point my primary boot manager to that partition
    >> and LILO then boots the kernel on that ditribution.
    >>
    >> My question is how can Grub be installed (configured) to a partition
    >> (instead of the MBR) to be used as a secondary boot loader?

    > I just did that with Mandriva 2006, but using SBM instead of
    > GAG. Using mcc, it was almost trivial. I clicked on the
    > icons for booting, and selected to write Grub to the root
    > partition (it actually writes to the /boot partition), and
    > it did the job. Again, it was so almost trivially easy it
    > felt like cheating.

    To do it the hard way, see man grub. That may be the only way for the OP,
    who seems to be talking about the installation of something that isn't
    Mandriva.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  4. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-11-19, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-11-19, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just installed yet another Linux Distro
    >>>on one of my machines. It installed Grub.
    >>>But I have another Boot manager (GAG) in the MBR.
    >>>
    >>>I can install LILO to the root partition
    >>>(from the /etc/lilo.conf "boot=/dev/hda7")
    >>>and point my primary boot manager to that partition
    >>>and LILO then boots the kernel on that ditribution.
    >>>
    >>>My question is how can Grub be installed (configured) to a partition
    >>>(instead of the MBR) to be used as a secondary boot loader?

    >>I just did that with Mandriva 2006, but using SBM instead of
    >>GAG. Using mcc, it was almost trivial. I clicked on the
    >>icons for booting, and selected to write Grub to the root
    >>partition (it actually writes to the /boot partition), and
    >>it did the job. Again, it was so almost trivially easy it
    >>felt like cheating.

    > To do it the hard way, see man grub. That may be the only way for the OP,
    > who seems to be talking about the installation of something that isn't
    > Mandriva.

    Yes, you got me. I am talking about another distribution.
    However, I have Mandriva on the same machine and I can only
    boot into Mandriva. I can then mount the partition that
    the other distrobution is on.

    Even if the distribution in question was Mandriva I would
    have the same issue, since I cannot run the GUI in the
    new installation.

    So, the question still remains, what are the commands, and/or
    configuration file entries needed to install Grub to the boot
    sector of a partition?

    Maybe install is not the correct word, since Grub *is* already
    on the partition. I just need to set it up as the kernel loader
    for that partition's Linux distribution.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  5. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:12:15 -0500, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > So, the question still remains, what are the commands, and/or
    > configuration file entries needed to install Grub to the boot
    > sector of a partition?

    Someone already answered your question.

    Here is the answer again: man grub

    It's right there in front of you. Get it done.

  6. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > My question is how can Grub be installed (configured) to a partition
    > (instead of the MBR) to be used as a secondary boot loader?

    This sounds as if you need to boot to your Mandriva OS and run
    info grub
    and page down to
    3.2 Installing GRUB natively

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    Unix is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    On 2006-11-19, Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-11-19, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 2006-11-19, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    snip

    >> To do it the hard way, see man grub. That may be the only way for the OP,
    >> who seems to be talking about the installation of something that isn't
    >> Mandriva.
    >>

    > Yes, you got me. I am talking about another distribution.
    > However, I have Mandriva on the same machine and I can only
    > boot into Mandriva. I can then mount the partition that
    > the other distrobution is on.
    >
    > Even if the distribution in question was Mandriva I would
    > have the same issue, since I cannot run the GUI in the
    > new installation.
    >
    > So, the question still remains, what are the commands, and/or
    > configuration file entries needed to install Grub to the boot
    > sector of a partition?
    >
    > Maybe install is not the correct word, since Grub *is* already
    > on the partition. I just need to set it up as the kernel loader
    > for that partition's Linux distribution.

    You may need to install Grub to your Mandriva system, if it isn't there
    already, in order to run the Grub tools in Mandriva to set up Grub for the
    other system. Make sure that you get the 'Grub for the other system' into
    the / or /boot partition for *that* system, and referring to that system.

    Then you have to either edit the Mandriva boot loader in your MBR so that
    it can boot the other system too, or you move Mandriva's boot loader into
    its / or /boot partition, and use an independent 'Boot Manager' in the MBR
    to manage the selection of which system to boot when the machine starts
    up. This seems to me to be the most easily maintained arrangement. I use
    GAG but there are others.

    If the installation routine for that other system fails to give you a
    clear choice of sensible places to put its boot loader, have a whinge at
    the people who designed that installer - it needs changing!

    But it occurs to me that the other system may have installed itself quite
    properly, but you haven't changed whatever is in your MBR to give you an
    option to boot the new system - how you do that, depends on what you have
    in your MBR: Grub or LiLo put there by Mandriva, perhaps? If so, then you
    don't need to change anything in the new system - just sort out your MBR.
    Again, I say GAG )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  8. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader?

    Whiskers wrote:

    > You may need to install Grub to your Mandriva system, if it isn't there
    > already, in order to run the Grub tools in Mandriva to set up Grub for the
    > other system. Make sure that you get the 'Grub for the other system' into
    > the / or /boot partition for *that* system, and referring to that system.
    >
    > Then you have to either edit the Mandriva boot loader in your MBR so that
    > it can boot the other system too, or you move Mandriva's boot loader into
    > its / or /boot partition, and use an independent 'Boot Manager' in the MBR
    > to manage the selection of which system to boot when the machine starts
    > up. This seems to me to be the most easily maintained arrangement. I use
    > GAG but there are others.
    >
    > If the installation routine for that other system fails to give you a
    > clear choice of sensible places to put its boot loader, have a whinge at
    > the people who designed that installer - it needs changing!
    >
    > But it occurs to me that the other system may have installed itself quite
    > properly, but you haven't changed whatever is in your MBR to give you an
    > option to boot the new system - how you do that, depends on what you have
    > in your MBR: Grub or LiLo put there by Mandriva, perhaps? If so, then you
    > don't need to change anything in the new system - just sort out your MBR.
    > Again, I say GAG )

    Whiskers, I do use GAG!
    When I boot to the partition (hda9) with the new distro in it GAG says
    "Sector boot not found or invalid".
    When I setup Lilo in my Mandriva installation to boot hda9 it locks up
    part way into the boot sequence with a kernel panic.

    The new installation went without a hitch and installed Grub to its
    partition. I can mount it and see all of the directories and files,
    but will not boot.

    I think I am going to try to reinstall. I'll let you know if that works.

    Thanks for your suggestions. Having someone to bounce ideas off of
    and to offer suggestions keeps the frustration levels tolerable in
    situations like these.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  9. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader? [Solved]

    Lance DeVooght wrote:

    > Whiskers, I do use GAG!
    > When I boot to the partition (hda9) with the new distro in it GAG says
    > "Sector boot not found or invalid".
    > When I setup Lilo in my Mandriva installation to boot hda9 it locks up
    > part way into the boot sequence with a kernel panic.
    >
    > The new installation went without a hitch and installed Grub to its
    > partition. I can mount it and see all of the directories and files,
    > but will not boot.
    >
    > I think I am going to try to reinstall. I'll let you know if that works.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions. Having someone to bounce ideas off of
    > and to offer suggestions keeps the frustration levels tolerable in
    > situations like these.

    Whiskers,

    I got some advice form the other distro's forum.

    Here was the fix from Teague MacRoot, aka Bro.Tiag
    on the Freespire forum:

    Boot to yur install cd & @ the grub menu hit the "c" key for the grub
    command prompt. Then issue the following;

    root (hd0,8)
    setup (hd0,8)
    reboot

    Now, I know that (if you know Grub inside out) this sounds
    ridiculusly simple. But I tried those very commands after
    booting into Mandriva.
    Then I tried Booting into Mandriva, chrooting into hda9,
    then issuing those commands.

    Well, all's well that ends well.

    Thanks again for your help Whiskers.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  10. Re: Grub as a secondary boot loader? [Solved]

    On 2006-11-20, Lance DeVooght wrote:

    snip

    > Whiskers,
    >
    > I got some advice form the other distro's forum.
    >
    > Here was the fix from Teague MacRoot, aka Bro.Tiag
    > on the Freespire forum:
    >
    > Boot to yur install cd & @ the grub menu hit the "c" key for the grub
    > command prompt. Then issue the following;
    >
    > root (hd0,8)
    > setup (hd0,8)
    > reboot
    >
    > Now, I know that (if you know Grub inside out) this sounds
    > ridiculusly simple. But I tried those very commands after
    > booting into Mandriva.
    > Then I tried Booting into Mandriva, chrooting into hda9,
    > then issuing those commands.
    >
    > Well, all's well that ends well.

    So Freespire is the culprit.

    > Thanks again for your help Whiskers.