Looking for a pernement e-mail address - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Looking for a pernement e-mail address - Mandrake ; I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I. The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for home and personnel ...

  1. Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.

    The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    home and personnel use.

    So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

  2. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:

    > I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >
    > The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    > with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    > home and personnel use.
    >
    > So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    How about your ISP? Most providers give you 7-10 email addresses as part
    of their service. Why not use that?

  3. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:58:03 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >>
    >> The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    >> with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    >> home and personnel use.
    >>
    >> So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    > How about your ISP? Most providers give you 7-10 email addresses as part
    > of their service. Why not use that?

    You are correct. But, I'm changing my internet provider and if have
    to change all my old e-mail addresses to a new one every time you
    change isp. That why I'm looking a pernement address.

  4. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    carl wagner wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:58:03 -0600, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >>>
    >>> The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    >>> with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    >>> home and personnel use.
    >>>
    >>> So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    >> How about your ISP? Most providers give you 7-10 email addresses as part
    >> of their service. Why not use that?

    > You are correct. But, I'm changing my internet provider and if have
    > to change all my old e-mail addresses to a new one every time you
    > change isp. That why I'm looking a pernement address.

    Pick up a domain for six or seven bucks a year; host it at a freebie
    host or at a cheap one for five bucks a month. Then you can change
    ISPs as often as you wish, and that will not effect your email addresses
    at your owned domain.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    > I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >
    > The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    > with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    > home and personnel use.

    You can use a free hotmail account.

    I use the gotmail package to pull the hotmail mail down and forward it
    to my linux account. I use postfix to munge the bittwister header
    lines back into my hotmail account.

    I use a cron job to run the gotmail command to fetch the mail from a
    hotmail user account.
    Mozilla will tell me when mail arrives in my bittwister mail box.

    $ cat /accounts/hotmail/.cron/hourly/got_mail

    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ********
    #*
    #* got_mail - download hotmail mail
    #*
    #* $HOME/.gotmailerc has user config read by gotmail
    #*
    #************************************************* ********

    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
    export PATH

    /usr/bin/gotmail

    #**************** end got_mail *********************************

    $ cat ~hotmail/.gotmailrc
    username=im_stupid
    password=yeah_right
    domain=hotmail.com
    forward=bittwister@wb.home.invalid
    silent
    delete

    #******************** end .gotmailrc *************************

    $ cat /var/spool/cron/hotmail

    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
    # (cron.job installed on Sat Jun 19 21:49:26 2004)
    # (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
    MAILTO=""
    ################################################## ##################
    #minute (0-59), #
    #| hour (0-23), #
    #| | day of the month (1-31), #
    #| | | month of the year (1-12), #
    #| | | | day of the week (0-6 with 0=Sunday)#
    #| | | | | commands #
    #30 01 * * * /home/jim/bin/cleartmp #
    ################################################## ##################
    15 7-23 * * * /bin/nice -n 19 /usr/bin/run-parts /accounts/hotmail/.cron/hourly

    #********* end /var/spool/cron/hotmail ****************************

    postfix files used to munge email headers

    $ grep bittwister@wb.home.invalid /etc/postfix/*
    canonical_recipient:bittwister@wb.home.invalid im_stupid@hotmail.com
    canonical_sender:bittwister@wb.home.invalid im_stupid@hotmail.com
    generic:bittwister@wb.home.invalid im_stupid@hotmail.com

    # to generate database map files:
    postmap canonical_recipient
    postmap canonical_sender
    postmap generic

    $ tail -28 /etc/postfix/main.cf

    # my appended changes to main.cf for my WAN node

    mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost $mydomain
    mynetworks = 192.168.2.0/28, 127.0.0.0/8
    relayhost = [smtp-server.tx.rr.com]
    relay_domains =
    inet_interfaces = all
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

    # local box users

    # Receiving: swap linux users into my ISP email users
    # in header (from value
    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_sender

    # Receiving: swap out header (to value example root
    # recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_recipient

    # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside messages (From
    smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

    #****** end main.cf ****************

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    NETWORKING=yes

  6. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:

    > I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >
    > The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    > with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    > home and personnel use.
    >
    > So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    Can you not use the email addresses that your isp provides?

    --
    Neil
    swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

  7. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:

    > I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >
    > The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    > with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    > home and personnel use.
    >
    > So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    I do a personal web site with 10 e-mail accounts at netfirms.com for
    $5/month + $10/year for domain name.

  8. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On 2006-11-18, carl wagner wrote:
    > I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >
    > The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    > with mandriva an the email provider.

    I think any 'normal' email service should work with Evolution or any other
    email client that runs in Mandriva.

    > These e-mail addresses are just for
    > home and personnel use.
    >
    > So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    )

    An email forwarding service, such as 'Bigfoot', simply lets you give
    people your Bigfoot-supplied email address, and then Bigfoot will forward
    all emails to whatever email address is provided by your current ISP.

    Some other email services can do that and also provide a full email
    service of their own, often with IMAP and/or webmail as well as POP/SMTP.
    Collecting emails for you from other mail addresses is another common
    feature.

    There are 'free' and 'paid-for' varieties.

    Of course, no service can be relied on to last indefinitely.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  9. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    carl wagner wrote:

    > I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >
    > The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    > with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    > home and personnel use.
    >
    > So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    With linux, you are free. You may as well use a freebie webmail (yahoo,
    msn/hotmail) and hotwayd or others. You can point your evolution to the
    local pop gateway and have a nice day without all the blinkenlight-adds on
    their www. The added benefit is, you have a webmail for "on-the-road" as
    well, if you use a popup-blocking browser.

  10. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:

    > So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    http://www.servsite.com is the host provider for my web site and email.
    They have remained there through several ISP changes and there is no
    reason to suspect they'll go away. Czech them out, and mention me if you
    decide to do business with them.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  11. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Pick up a domain for six or seven bucks a year; host it at a freebie
    > host

    Free hosting? Now you're singing my song!
    Where can I get free hosting?

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  12. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Pick up a domain for six or seven bucks a year; host it at a freebie
    >> host

    > Free hosting? Now you're singing my song!
    > Where can I get free hosting?

    You've heard of Google, I'd think. It's your friend. Try a search
    for...hey, I know..."free hosting".

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  13. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:54:35 -0800, carl wagner wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to get a permanent e-mail for my wife and I.
    >>
    >> The mail tool we use is evolution. So I'm looking for compatibility
    >> with mandriva an the email provider. These e-mail addresses are just for
    >> home and personnel use.
    >>
    >> So any suggestions on which e-mail providers, I should look into?

    > Can you not use the email addresses that your isp provides?

    He already said he's trying to avoid that because he wants a *permanent*
    address. Now guess what happens to his ISP address(es) when he changes
    ISPs.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  14. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Lance DeVooght wrote:
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>

    >>>Pick up a domain for six or seven bucks a year; host it at a freebie
    >>>host

    >>Free hosting? Now you're singing my song!
    >>Where can I get free hosting?

    > You've heard of Google, I'd think. It's your friend. Try a search
    > for...hey, I know..."free hosting".

    Oh, ya, and wade through miles of bullsh!t and come-ons.
    Just as I thought, no free lunch, or hosting.

    --
    Lance DeVooght

  15. Re: Looking for a pernement e-mail address

    Lance DeVooght wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Lance DeVooght wrote:

    >>>Free hosting? Now you're singing my song!
    >>>Where can I get free hosting?

    >> You've heard of Google, I'd think. It's your friend. Try a search
    >> for...hey, I know..."free hosting".

    > Oh, ya, and wade through miles of bullsh!t and come-ons.
    > Just as I thought, no free lunch, or hosting.

    There is free hosting.