Mandriva and laptops: suggestion - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Mandriva and laptops: suggestion - Mandrake ; My University gives me the opportunity of a choice among these two laptops: Toshiba Satellite Pro U200-120 Dell Latitude D420 Possible also Latitude D620, but it's a bit heavier. These laptops are not listed in the compatibility list. Can I ...

  1. Mandriva and laptops: suggestion

    My University gives me the opportunity of a choice among these two laptops:

    Toshiba Satellite Pro U200-120
    Dell Latitude D420

    Possible also Latitude D620, but it's a bit heavier.

    These laptops are not listed in the compatibility list. Can I ask to have a
    kind suggestion?

    Thanks!

    --
    Guido Milanese
    Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy

  2. Re: Mandriva and laptops: suggestion

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:42:48 +0100, Guido Milanese wrote:

    > My University gives me the opportunity of a choice among these two laptops:
    >
    > Toshiba Satellite Pro U200-120
    > Dell Latitude D420
    >
    > Possible also Latitude D620, but it's a bit heavier.
    >
    > These laptops are not listed in the compatibility list. Can I ask to have a
    > kind suggestion?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Try to get access to one of each before you buy and boot a Live CD.

  3. Re: Mandriva and laptops: suggestion

    ray wrote:

    > Try to get access to one of each before you buy and boot a Live CD.

    Thank you: this is a good suggestion, which I cannot follow because all what
    the University gives me is a brochure with nice photographs... so if some
    kind soul know already if these laptops work or not with Linux, I'll be
    really grateful!

    thanks again,
    gm

    --
    Guido Milanese
    Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy
    http://www.arsantiqua.org

  4. Re: Mandriva and laptops: suggestion

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:42:48 +0100, Guido Milanese wrote:

    > My University gives me the opportunity of a choice among these two laptops:
    >
    > Toshiba Satellite Pro U200-120
    > Dell Latitude D420
    >
    > Possible also Latitude D620, but it's a bit heavier.
    >
    > These laptops are not listed in the compatibility list. Can I ask to have a
    > kind suggestion?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I successfully installed Mandriva 2006 and then 2007 on a Dell Inspiron
    600m. So, you shouldn't have any problems with the Latitude except that if
    you d/l the free version of 2007 you'll have to obtain the firmware for the
    wireless card ipw#### - the drivers come with the free version but not the
    firmware. You can get the firmware from PLF non-free source. The firmware
    comes with the Powerpack edition and will be installed OK that way. The
    ATI drivers are available from PLF non-free source also (if you didn't get
    the Powerpack edition). Anything considered non-open source will be in the
    Powerpack edition but not the free edition.

  5. Re: Mandriva and laptops: suggestion

    johnny wrote:

    > I successfully installed Mandriva 2006 and then 2007 on a Dell Inspiron
    > 600m.

    [...]

    Thanks for this informative overview. So I'll teake the Dell.
    Hope to be useful in the future.

    gm

    --
    Guido Milanese
    Vocal Ensemble Ars Antiqua, Genova (Genoa), Italy
    http://www.arsantiqua.org

+ Reply to Thread