Install CDs on Hard Drive - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Install CDs on Hard Drive - Mandrake ; When I installed Mandriva 2006, I chose to put the install CDs on the hard drive. In setting up urpmi, I did removemedia -a and now I lost the sources. Where are they on the hard drive so I can ...

  1. Install CDs on Hard Drive

    When I installed Mandriva 2006, I chose to put the install CDs on the
    hard drive. In setting up urpmi, I did removemedia -a and now I lost
    the sources. Where are they on the hard drive so I can add them back
    as sources?

  2. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:28:31 -0800, scobap wrote:

    > When I installed Mandriva 2006, I chose to put the install CDs on the
    > hard drive. In setting up urpmi, I did removemedia -a and now I lost
    > the sources. Where are they on the hard drive so I can add them back
    > as sources?

    #man locate ?

    HTH

  3. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    Al wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:28:31 -0800, scobap wrote:
    >
    > > When I installed Mandriva 2006, I chose to put the install CDs on the
    > > hard drive. In setting up urpmi, I did removemedia -a and now I lost
    > > the sources. Where are they on the hard drive so I can add them back
    > > as sources?

    > #man locate ?
    >
    > HTH

    The problem is I don't know what they're called. I've searched
    everywhere for CD1, RPMs, etc. but nothing I find seems to be the
    actual CDs (or possibly ISOs?).

    Thanks for any help.

  4. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    "scobap" writes:

    >Al wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:28:31 -0800, scobap wrote:
    >>
    >> > When I installed Mandriva 2006, I chose to put the install CDs on the
    >> > hard drive. In setting up urpmi, I did removemedia -a and now I lost
    >> > the sources. Where are they on the hard drive so I can add them back
    >> > as sources?

    >> #man locate ?
    >>
    >> HTH

    >The problem is I don't know what they're called. I've searched
    >everywhere for CD1, RPMs, etc. but nothing I find seems to be the
    >actual CDs (or possibly ISOs?).

    Where did you put them? ARe you sure you did not tell them to erase them
    after installation?

    Anyway
    locate CD|grep andriva
    should show someting.

    >Thanks for any help.

  5. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    > Where did you put them? ARe you sure you did not tell them to erase them
    > after installation?
    >
    > Anyway
    > locate CD|grep andriva
    > should show someting.
    >

    > >Thanks for any help.

    I don't remember it asking me 'where' to put the CDs. Only 'if' I
    wanted them on the hard disk. I have been installing packages without
    the external CDs - even before I got my internet connection working.

    Here's the results of the command you offered:

    [root@localhost scott]# locate Cd|grep mandriva
    warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db:
    No such file or directory
    warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create the
    database.
    [root@localhost scott]# updatedb
    [root@localhost scott]# locate CD|grep mandriva
    [root@localhost scott]

  6. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    "scobap" writes:

    >> Where did you put them? ARe you sure you did not tell them to erase them
    >> after installation?
    >>
    >> Anyway
    >> locate CD|grep andriva
    >> should show someting.
    >>

    >> >Thanks for any help.

    >I don't remember it asking me 'where' to put the CDs. Only 'if' I
    >wanted them on the hard disk. I have been installing packages without
    >the external CDs - even before I got my internet connection working.

    >Here's the results of the command you offered:

    >[root@localhost scott]# locate Cd|grep mandriva
    >warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db:
    >No such file or directory
    >warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create the
    >database.
    >[root@localhost scott]# updatedb
    >[root@localhost scott]# locate CD|grep mandriva

    No that was not what I suggested I suggested
    locate CD|grep andriva
    Not mandriva
    Although
    grep -i mandriva
    would probably be OK.

    >[root@localhost scott]

  7. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    On 18 Nov 2006 18:58:01 -0800, scobap wrote:

    > [root@localhost scott]# locate Cd|grep mandriva
    > warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db:
    > No such file or directory
    > warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create the
    > database.
    > [root@localhost scott]# updatedb
    > [root@localhost scott]# locate CD|grep mandriva

    you would think if the cd contents were on the drive a

    locate .rpm would show rafts of files and directory.

  8. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    On 2006-11-19, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 18 Nov 2006 18:58:01 -0800, scobap wrote:
    >>
    >> [root@localhost scott]# locate Cd|grep mandriva
    >> warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db:
    >> No such file or directory
    >> warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create the
    >> database.
    >> [root@localhost scott]# updatedb
    >> [root@localhost scott]# locate CD|grep mandriva

    > you would think if the cd contents were on the drive a
    >
    > locate .rpm would show rafts of files and directory.

    I can't stand the suspense any longer, so I fired up a Mdv2007 Powerpack
    system I haven't switched to yet, on which I asked the installation
    routine to put all the CDs on the HD, and find that they are in
    /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  9. Re: Install CDs on Hard Drive

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-11-19, Bit Twister wrote:
    > > On 18 Nov 2006 18:58:01 -0800, scobap wrote:
    > >>
    > >> [root@localhost scott]# locate Cd|grep mandriva
    > >> warning: locate: could not open database: /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db:
    > >> No such file or directory
    > >> warning: You need to run the 'updatedb' command (as root) to create the
    > >> database.
    > >> [root@localhost scott]# updatedb
    > >> [root@localhost scott]# locate CD|grep mandriva

    > > you would think if the cd contents were on the drive a
    > >
    > > locate .rpm would show rafts of files and directory.

    > I can't stand the suspense any longer, so I fired up a Mdv2007 Powerpack
    > system I haven't switched to yet, on which I asked the installation
    > routine to put all the CDs on the HD, and find that they are in
    > /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/
    >
    > --
    > -- Whiskers

    I just got home from working all day and found all these posts. THANK
    YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. /var/ftp/pub/Mandrivalinux/media/ is
    RIGHT! Now I'm back in business. Thanks for all your help.

+ Reply to Thread