Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA - Mandrake ; In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. In a question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the Professional Association for SQL Server ...

  1. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions,
    Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux
    operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. In a
    question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the
    Professional Association for SQL Server conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor
    Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual
    property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return
    for our shareholders from our innovation."

    It's SCO all over again. Until Ballmer makes specific claims about
    infringements, we can all remain calm.
    2 Replies Reply Score: 5

    Patents...
    By tsuraan (1.85) on 2006-11-17 13:32:13 UTC
    It's just irritating when a prominent figure in a company talks about
    using "intellectual property." I'm pretty sure Linux isn't infringing
    on any MS trademarks, and SCO aside, it doesn't look like Linux is
    violating anybody's copyrights. Can't Ballmer just say, "Linux is
    infringing on our patents," and then cite an instance or two? Stupid
    weasel talk...
    0 Replies Reply Score: 3

    Thanks again, Novell...
    By thebluesgnr (1.99) on 2006-11-17 13:32:34 UTC
    .... for feeding the FUD.

    What I don't understand is how Ballmer is going to explain to his
    shareholders ("it's all about them") why they're the ones paying Novell
    $400 million.
    0 Replies Reply Score: 5

    Patent
    By egan_varley (0.50) on 2006-11-17 13:37:16 UTC
    Software patent is a US thing.
    Here in Europe Software patent did not exist...so f#ck you mister
    Ballmer !
    0 Replies Reply Score: -1

    "Microsoft innovation"
    By acamfield (3.00) on 2006-11-17 13:37:42 UTC
    Oxymoron of all times.

    How can you sue someone for infringing something that does not exist...

    0 Replies Reply Score: 5

    RE: Remain Calm
    By thecwin (2.03) on 2006-11-17 13:41:57 UTC in reply to "Remain Calm"
    VFAT/FAT32 is apparently partially patented
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32 if you trust WP..)
    0 Replies Reply Score: 4

    Screw Ballmer
    By ido50 (1.90) on 2006-11-17 13:49:13 UTC
    0 Replies Reply Score: 0

    Bring it on
    By twenex (1.46) on 2006-11-17 13:50:02 UTC
    More of the same, Steve. See you in court!
    0 Replies Reply Score: 2

    Courtesy of Novell
    By bkurt78 (3.00) on 2006-11-17 13:52:55 UTC
    Well, everyone can thank Novell for this latest round of FUD. You knew
    it was going to happen as soon as that deal was announced. It was just
    another avenue for Microsoft to spread FUD about Linux. THANKS NOVELL I
    HOPE YOU ALL ARE REAL SATISFIED NOW! Talk is cheap MS, either put up or
    shut up.
    0 Replies Reply Score: 2

    not this again
    By moleskine (2.21) on 2006-11-17 13:52:56 UTC
    I guess Microsoft are banking on the old trick: repeat a tendentious
    statement often enough and people will start to believe it.

    Personally I think Ballmer and co should be treated to two fingers and
    silence, otherwise we will all be driven mad by flames and debates
    about this week in week out.
    0 Replies Reply Score: 1

    RE
    By Kroc (2.14) on 2006-11-17 13:57:58 UTC
    Europe will be interested in hearing this...
    0 Replies Reply Score: 4

    Finally
    By marafaka (1.50) on 2006-11-17 14:08:25 UTC
    I think it's very clear for all parties where we stand now. Microsoft
    is going down, they're looking for it, and they deserve it. Yeah,
    finally.
    0 Replies Reply Score: 2

    Bold Statement
    By Bit_Rapist (1.96) on 2006-11-17 14:08:36 UTC
    Pretty bold statement from a company that has a history of taking
    "intellectual property" from other (often small) companies.

    Until its proven in a court of law the only thing coming out of
    ballmer's mouth is hot air, as usual.
    0 Replies Reply Score: 2

    do it
    By taos (2.04) on 2006-11-17 14:09:39 UTC
    I really hope this issue goes to the court. Let's hear both sides of
    the argument in the court, instead of wasting time on forums.

    P.S. in principle, I believe in intellectual property.
    There're lots of FUD for both Linux and IP.
    0 Replies Reply Score: 2

    look alike
    By trinitrotolueen (1.76) on 2006-11-17 14:10:11 UTC
    MS is either playing SCO look alike or has allways been behind puppet
    SCO.

    Browser: Links (2.1pre20; Linux 2.6.17-hardened-r1 x86_64; 80x24)
    http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=16515

    _______
    .-"" '.' ""-.
    ." .'. ".
    /| Q |
    / | :|: |\
    / / . . \"\
    / / ,/: :\, \ "\
    / / / (_i_) \ \ "\
    / / /" | | "\ \ |
    | / /" '-' "\ \."
    || / |/ \ \ \ \
    || ,'-./ \ |--. |
    | \ \ / |
    |\ \ | | /
    \_^-\ \ | /
    \ \ / /
    \ \ / /
    __\ \", / /__
    /- | | \ / / ( -\
    `~-._` ) / | -' _.-'****SuSE HAHAHA Steve Ballmer
    http://www.stereosociety.com/ram/ifeell02.ram

    1980s
    There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.

    The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    to kill you.

    Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    **** up.

    http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    ____________________________
    ID signature
    Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
    Philip Davidson,
    10 Ronald Avenue
    West Ham
    E15 3AH
    East London
    Mobile phone 07906821566
    http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    Quite true that Linux actually copy directly from MS Window. Just like all
    the motor cars, ships, airplanes, motorcycles, houses and so on.....etc.,
    etc., are copies of the early inventors. Even the human sex act is a copy
    from God through Adam and Eve if you are Christian enough to believe
    that......

    wrote in message
    news:1163776521.907358.172710@j44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> [...]
    > `~-._` ) / | -' _.-'****SuSE HAHAHA Steve Ballmer
    > http://www.stereosociety.com/ram/ifeell02.ram
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    >

    > 1980s
    > There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    > days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    > U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.
    >

    > The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    > One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    > to kill you.
    >

    > Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    > **** up.
    >
    > http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    > It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    > ____________________________
    > ID signature
    > Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.

  3. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    Richard Corfield wrote:
    > s/Intellectual Property/Government Sponsored Land Grab/g ?
    >
    > Apparently the last government sponsored land grab I've heard of, the
    > loss of the common land in England, came out OK in the end. Whether the
    > same will happen here I don't know.
    >
    > - Richard
    >
    > --
    > _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
    > _/ _/ _/ _/
    > _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a one way street, .
    > _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ except in the Twilight Zone 3^

    It is just software Richard, it's not fun any more do
    you remember PD software in Britain, it was everywhere
    there were too many programmers then one day a man
    turned up and said he needed programmers and everybody
    buggered off to the United States to work for a man
    called Bill Gates.

    Do you remember all the game companies creating PC games
    Amstrad, games Amiga, games Atari, games and an endless
    list of names Rowlands, the Oliver twins, I believe they
    created a game about eggs treasure Island dizzy? And I
    believe they created a game cartridge that allowed you
    to cheat games.

    Apart from the Oliver twins everybody got snatched up
    by U.S.company's and all went to work in the U.S.

    Nobody is producing anything any more everybody is copying
    everybody else.

    British backstreet programmers are now stooping so low
    we are programming mobile phones, reprogramming car keys
    and alarm systems and giving the information to very low
    life petty criminal Pakistani's "British citizens"
    of course they are all British citizens only the British
    themselves are foreigners ask the BBC.

    The Labour government have introduced so many ridiculous
    laws that you can almost be arrested for farting on the
    Internet. The new criminal Justice Bill will make it a
    criminal offence to use any kind of Internet scanning
    tool to test for weaknesses in your own network.
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9284750,00.htm

    We have cameras absolutely everywhere watching us
    we have more cameras, than any other nation on earth.

    We are now having our telephone calls monitored our
    e-mails and our Internet activities collected and
    stored by our Internet providers, government policy.

    Just imagine in five years time it might be against
    the law to write a message like this we live in strange
    times.

    Of course all this is needed because there are terrorist
    everywhere waiting to kill us they are all queuing up
    outside my door to kill me for all the times I have said
    Mohammed is a son of a bum ****ed Arab.

    You know none of this is real you are really just imagining
    all this ridiculousness you are really just an artificial
    intelligence project created by aliens for a laugh.

    You are not really reading this and none of us really
    exist so merry Christmas when it happens to you and yours.
    I will be sitting down watching Alastair Sim, playing Scrooge.

    But only in your artificially created world created by
    aliens for entertainment.

    Stepping Stones:

    Charles Babbage
    http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac...s/Babbage.html

    Sir Frank Whittle
    http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/125/achie...e/telgraph.htm

    Tim Berners-Lee

    Alan Turing

    http://www.patent.gov.uk/

    http://www.fatbadgers.co.uk/Britain/firsts.htm

[...]

  4. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:15:21 -0800, home.home1 wrote:

    > In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions,
    > Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux
    > operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. In a
    > question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the
    > Professional Association for SQL Server conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    > said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor
    > Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual
    > property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return
    > for our shareholders from our innovation."

    He's perfectly free to express his opinions. Our country highly regards
    freedom of speech if not freedom of choice.

  5. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief thatthe Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.HAHAHA

    home.home1@virgin.net schreef:
> [...]
    > `~-._` ) / | -' _.-'****SuSE HAHAHA Steve Ballmer
    > http://www.stereosociety.com/ram/ifeell02.ram
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    >

    > 1980s
    > There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    > days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    > U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.
    >

    > The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    > One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    > to kill you.
    >

    > Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    > **** up.
    >
    > http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    > It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    > ____________________________
    > ID signature
    > Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.

    Sure Mr. Balmer your right. Good night Have sweet dreams....

  6. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    Never look back! always look forward out of curiosity I typed in the
    name and I found old memorabilia
    PC version of Treasure Island Dizzy uses the CCS-C64 emulator runs fine
    on Linux.
    http://www.codemasters.co.uk/downloa...wnloadid=17413

  7. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    > In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions,
    > Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux
    > operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. In a
    > question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the
    > Professional Association for SQL Server conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    > said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor
    > Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual
    > property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return
    > for our shareholders from our innovation."
    >
    > It's SCO all over again. Until Ballmer makes specific claims about
    > infringements, we can all remain calm.
    > 2 Replies Reply Score: 5

    Get ready for the ONSLAUGHT!!! Here it comes.

    As soon as Novell "signed" that deal with M$ I said to myself "Now just how
    long will it take???"

    Ho Hum! M$ Again!!!

  8. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:08:52 -0800, Jimserac wrote:

    > I don't understand exactly what the deal between Suse and Microsoft
    > entails but if need be I will switch to Fedora in an instant to avoid
    > any association with Microsoft, its legion of zombie programmers or
    > its misguided Bushian monopolistic policies.

    Red Hat is just as bad. I said years ago (look it up if someone wants
    proof) that commercialization of Linux to any degree was a bad thing.

    I fact both suse and red hat are so twisted I'm not sure they are even
    "true" Linux's anymore.

    Just another reason why I've been a happy Slacker for over 10 years...

  9. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    On Saturday 18 November 2006 17:58, Ron Gibson stood up and addressed the
    masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:

    > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:08:52 -0800, Jimserac wrote:
    >
    >> I don't understand exactly what the deal between Suse and Microsoft
    >> entails but if need be I will switch to Fedora in an instant to avoid
    >> any association with Microsoft, its legion of zombie programmers or
    >> its misguided Bushian monopolistic policies.

    > Red Hat is just as bad. I said years ago (look it up if someone wants
    > proof) that commercialization of Linux to any degree was a bad thing.

    I fully agree with this. SuSE - or rather Novell - is the one at fault here
    and RedHat is playing the victim, but RedHat are just as bad indeed, and
    they are even hostile to certain Open Source projects that don't play by
    their rules - KDE springs to mind.

    > I fact both suse and red hat are so twisted I'm not sure they are even
    > "true" Linux's anymore.

    Although there may be others, there are to my personal opinion and to my
    current knowledge only three distributions that still are "traditionally"
    GNU/Linux: Slackware, Debian and Gentoo.

    Everything else has sold out, and the "dot com" in their domain name is
    generally a good indication... ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    On 2006-11-19, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Saturday 18 November 2006 17:58, Ron Gibson stood up and addressed the
    > masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake/ as follows...:
    >
    >> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:08:52 -0800, Jimserac wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't understand exactly what the deal between Suse and Microsoft
    >>> entails but if need be I will switch to Fedora in an instant to avoid
    >>> any association with Microsoft, its legion of zombie programmers or
    >>> its misguided Bushian monopolistic policies.

    >> Red Hat is just as bad. I said years ago (look it up if someone wants
    >> proof) that commercialization of Linux to any degree was a bad thing.

    > I fully agree with this. SuSE - or rather Novell - is the one at fault here
    > and RedHat is playing the victim, but RedHat are just as bad indeed, and
    > they are even hostile to certain Open Source projects that don't play by
    > their rules - KDE springs to mind.
    >
    >> I fact both suse and red hat are so twisted I'm not sure they are even
    >> "true" Linux's anymore.

    > Although there may be others, there are to my personal opinion and to my
    > current knowledge only three distributions that still are "traditionally"
    > GNU/Linux: Slackware, Debian and Gentoo.
    >
    > Everything else has sold out, and the "dot com" in their domain name is
    > generally a good indication... ;-)

    What disturbs me in the MS/Novell arrangement, is the part about MS giving
    absolution to Novell customers for alleged (unspecified) breaches of MS
    copyright in components of Linux. That looks to me as though Novell are
    being set up as the new SCO - simultaneously taking out one of MS's actual
    competitors (ie Novell; SuSE is just the icing on the cake) and spreading
    FUD about Linux in general. The difficulty for existing customers of
    Novell or SuSE, is where do they go if they don't want to lend their
    support to this latest MS scam, and at what cost?

    Will SuSE go the way of Caldera?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  11. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:15:21 -0800, home.home1 wrote:
    >
    > > In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions,
    > > Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux
    > > operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. In a
    > > question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the
    > > Professional Association for SQL Server conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    > > said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor
    > > Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual
    > > property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return
    > > for our shareholders from our innovation."
    > >

    > He's perfectly free to express his opinions. Our country highly regards
    > freedom of speech if not freedom of choice.

    Notice that its ALWAYS some vague assertion of appropriation
    of intellectual property - but NOBODY, Balmer included, ever
    mentions specifics. Curious, eh?

    Jimserac
    James Pannozzi

  12. Re: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. HAHAHA

    .....er...it should be the other way round!!

    "Jimserac" wrote in message
    news:1164294647.395850.32080@h54g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:15:21 -0800, home.home1 wrote:
    >>
    >> > In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions,
    >> > Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux
    >> > operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property. In a
    >> > question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the
    >> > Professional Association for SQL Server conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    >> > said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor
    >> > Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual
    >> > property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return
    >> > for our shareholders from our innovation."
    >> >

    >> He's perfectly free to express his opinions. Our country highly regards
    >> freedom of speech if not freedom of choice.

    > Notice that its ALWAYS some vague assertion of appropriation
    > of intellectual property - but NOBODY, Balmer included, ever
    > mentions specifics. Curious, eh?
    >
    > Jimserac
    > James Pannozzi

+ Reply to Thread