Re: Package manager in 2007 doesn't work. - ADDENDUM - Mandrake

This is a discussion on Re: Package manager in 2007 doesn't work. - ADDENDUM - Mandrake ; James J. Dines wrote: > Doug Laidlaw wrote: >> I have 2007 Discovery on a DVD release. I am able to set up package lists >> with urpmi.addmedia, but the package manager either reports a misconfigured >> source (with updates) ...

  1. Re: Package manager in 2007 doesn't work. - ADDENDUM

    James J. Dines wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I have 2007 Discovery on a DVD release. I am able to set up package lists
    >> with urpmi.addmedia, but the package manager either reports a misconfigured
    >> source (with updates) or simply exits (with standard rpmdrake jobs.) Since
    >> I can't read the packages database, I can't see if a fix has been posted.
    >>
    >> Any info please. Frankly, in general, I am very disappointed in 2007, and
    >> am staying with 2006. If I could be happy with a desktop, I would probably
    >> switch to Suse.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Switching to SUSE is a very anti-linux thing to do these days. Novell,
    > who is behind SUSE, has signed a deal with M$. I am not going to get
    > into the details here, but suffice it to say that people in the know are
    > avoiding SUSE like the plague.

    Immediately after posting this I went off to read Slashdot, and the very
    first article I saw was titled "Red Hat Rejects Microsoft Patent Deal
    Overtures"

    http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/16/1425241

    If anyone was wondering why I made the statement above about avoiding
    Novell like the plague, the above link will get you started.
    --
    ****** Warning - Highly US-Centric .sig approaching! ******
    The only way to differentiate "The War on Terrorism"

  2. Re: Package manager in 2007 doesn't work. - ADDENDUM

    James J. Dines wrote:

    > James J. Dines wrote:
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> I have 2007 Discovery on a DVD release. I am able to set up package
    >>> lists with urpmi.addmedia, but the package manager either reports a
    >>> misconfigured
    >>> source (with updates) or simply exits (with standard rpmdrake jobs.)
    >>> Since I can't read the packages database, I can't see if a fix has been
    >>> posted.
    >>>
    >>> Any info please. Frankly, in general, I am very disappointed in 2007,
    >>> and
    >>> am staying with 2006. If I could be happy with a desktop, I would
    >>> probably switch to Suse.
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >> Switching to SUSE is a very anti-linux thing to do these days. Novell,
    >> who is behind SUSE, has signed a deal with M$. I am not going to get
    >> into the details here, but suffice it to say that people in the know are
    >> avoiding SUSE like the plague.
    >>

    > Immediately after posting this I went off to read Slashdot, and the very
    > first article I saw was titled "Red Hat Rejects Microsoft Patent Deal
    > Overtures"
    >
    > http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/16/1425241
    >
    > If anyone was wondering why I made the statement above about avoiding
    > Novell like the plague, the above link will get you started.

    One man, though, is like me. He isn't so interested in idealistics as in
    whether the thing works: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS4633960249.html

    Doug.
    --
    The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes
    an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.

+ Reply to Thread