debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and ) - Mandrake

This is a discussion on debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and ) - Mandrake ; What do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall allowing the individual user to monitor incoming and outgoing connections allowing the individual user to deny access or allow access in real time. How many people actually ...

  1. debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    What do people think of interactive desktop security as in an
    interactive firewall
    allowing the individual user to monitor incoming and outgoing
    connections allowing
    the individual user to deny access or allow access in real time.

    How many people actually use the Linux Desktop interactive real time
    security
    like for example similar to a Windows zone labs product ( zone alarm ).

    Hardware firewalls do their job but they are limited in what they can
    do in real time..
    Users will always want to use programs like ICQ, Internet messenger,
    and the dreaded
    JavaScript chat rooms which is a security risk on any operating system.

    Do people actually really use office Linux Desktop interactive real
    time security
    like Panda.

    How long have you been using it how reliable was it?
    http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2654/pandaaf2.png

    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

    1980s
    There's been a bomb in Oxford Street! And in the
    days before Al'Qaeda, there's only one prime suspect.
    U.S.A sponsoring terrorists as always.

    The U.S.A has sponsored every terrorist organisation in the world.
    One way or another throughout history the U.S.A as attempted
    to kill you.

    Who's the Governor! You wankers. Keyboard warriors. Put up or shut the
    **** up.

    http://media.putfile.com/On-The-Streets-Of-America-3
    It shows you just how backward yanks are pathetic ****ing yanks.
    ____________________________
    ID signature
    Freedom, if you don't use it you lose it.
    Philip Davidson,
    10 Ronald Avenue
    West Ham
    E15 3AH
    East London
    Mobile phone 07906821566
    http://philipdavidson.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    On 2006-11-16, home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    > What do people think of interactive desktop security as in an
    > interactive firewall
    > allowing the individual user to monitor incoming and outgoing
    > connections allowing
    > the individual user to deny access or allow access in real time.

    Personal firewall is a bit of a daft idea when you think about
    it. The firewall's job is to prevent connections to certain ports on
    the computer. The computer is perfectly capable of doing this by not
    opening the ports in the first place. Linux systems even allow programs
    to specify which network devices ports are open on.

    So a personal firewall is an extra layer of defense which basically
    allows the user to say "I don't want the operating system to open any
    ports". If we design a firewall that opens holes in itself when the
    computer opens a port then the firewall effectively becomes useless.

    Monitoring incoming and outgoing connections is useful, but I've seen
    users generally getting fed up with these and just hitting the OK button
    all the time. There are network connection monitoring tools for Linux
    for the user that wants to watch what's going on.

    - Richard

    --
    _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
    _/ _/ _/ _/

  3. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    Richard Corfield wrote:

    > On 2006-11-16, home.home1@virgin.net wrote:
    > >

    > > What do people think of interactive desktop security as in an
    > > interactive firewall
    > > allowing the individual user to monitor incoming and outgoing
    > > connections allowing
    > > the individual user to deny access or allow access in real time.

    > Personal firewall is a bit of a daft idea when you think about
    > it. The firewall's job is to prevent connections to certain ports on
    > the computer. The computer is perfectly capable of doing this by not
    > opening the ports in the first place. Linux systems even allow programs
    > to specify which network devices ports are open on.
    >
    > So a personal firewall is an extra layer of defense which basically
    > allows the user to say "I don't want the operating system to open any
    > ports". If we design a firewall that opens holes in itself when the
    > computer opens a port then the firewall effectively becomes useless.
    >
    > Monitoring incoming and outgoing connections is useful, but I've seen
    > users generally getting fed up with these and just hitting the OK button
    > all the time. There are network connection monitoring tools for Linux
    > for the user that wants to watch what's going on.
    >
    > - Richard
    >
    > --
    > _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield
    > _/ _/ _/ _/
    > _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a one way street, .
    > _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ except in the Twilight Zone 3^

    You sort of answered yourself. We need to have certain
    ports open at certain times but not all the time. ICQ is
    a dangerous program a security risk we need to interact
    on ICQ, but on our terms. That is when interactive firewalls
    become very useful.

    Likewise with allowing certain connections at certain times
    for file sharing. Personal firewalls interactive firewalls
    allow individual people with no experience to protect
    themselves by having a personal firewall holding their
    hand all the way.

    People do this already with a second computer acting as
    a firewall they have to constantly logon to the other
    computer to change the firewall rules. Too long winded
    and not interactive.

    I'm trying to rush type this I've got to go out
    somebody is knocking at the door maybe you're right
    maybe you're wrong.

    I like the idea of personal firewalls

    Goodbye

    Second reply typed on Windows XP

  4. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:
    > I like the idea of personal firewalls

    Something like 'let application XX uses port YY when user ZZ run it' is cool
    for personal security.

    If one port is open, as long as it is not under 1024, any other applications
    can use it at present. Am I wrong?

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  5. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    home.home1@virgin.net wrote:

    I wonder why you address "debian users" when you post to a suse and a
    mandriva newsgroup?

    > What do people think of interactive desktop security as in an
    > interactive firewall
    > allowing the individual user to monitor incoming and outgoing
    > connections allowing
    > the individual user to deny access or allow access in real time.

    Users don't want to be disturbed in their work or pleasure. Only
    technophiles really want to know, and there are much better tools
    (ethereal/wireshark and others, with proper filters) to monitor in/outgoing
    traffic.
    Windows users, however, tend to feel protected when a "desktop firewall"
    (well, the desktop may burn down but the "firewall" still barfs)
    occasionally pops up alerts - and ads to buy the professional version of
    that software or their complete internet security suite.
    They do not understand the real meaning of these alerts, so there is no real
    point in even showing them, but to advertise.

    > How many people actually use the Linux Desktop interactive real time
    > security
    > like for example similar to a Windows zone labs product ( zone alarm ).

    Hmmm ... Mandriva does have something like that as well, though it ceases to
    work once you update your kernel the first time. However, there is
    shorewall or firestarter and others. Not *that* interactive, but efficient.
    I can speak only for myself, but looking up the logs and checking for
    another ssh attack, then putting that IP into hosts.deny will do the job.

    > Hardware firewalls do their job but they are limited in what they can
    > do in real time..

    Nah. They can do everything ... even realtime packet content inspection. But
    that needs advanced programming.

    > Users will always want to use programs like ICQ, Internet messenger,
    > and the dreaded
    > JavaScript chat rooms which is a security risk on any operating system.

    Well, as long as they are "users" in linux, or only windows boxen are
    affected, linux isn't really harmed. But since windows users still do their
    surfing, chatting, emailing as "admins" most of the time, they will suffer
    with their operating system.

    > Do people actually really use office Linux Desktop interactive real
    > time security
    > like Panda.

    Do I smell advertising?

  6. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > Do I smell advertising?
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.php

    Advertising that would be unusual wouldn't it coming from me
    how many companies would have me for an advertiser
    God you are ****ing stupid.

    Shouldn't you be on the Windows newsgroup
    just looked at your profile you are just a cunt.

    I post anywhere I like and when ever I like ****ing yanks
    are so ****ing stupid!

    Look cunt **** off....

    Do you understand what I'm saying people how the **** could
    I be an advertiser what type of cunt is this!

    I ****ing despise yanks they are so ****ing stupid.

    The software does not come from the U.K.

    Software needs protecting from cunts like you.. You backward
    ****ing cunt assuming everybody else is you. useless ****ing
    cunt.

    Read this slowly **** OFF CUNT. I come from England,
    West Ham East London I'm not a pencil pusher I am not
    an antisocial smelly lonely keyboard Mongoloid.

    People, people where do these ****ers come from why are
    they not killed at birth?

    Hello AM Christophe,
    I didn't know the answer sorry to put you in the same post as this
    cunt.
    http://www.grc.com/port_1024.htm

[...]

  7. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    ID-107770.user.individual.net
    Walter Mautner
    Male 51 years old
    City/State
    Vienna
    Country
    Austria
    I Speak
    German, English
    ICQ #
    4918962

    ( "About Me
    Hi there ;-)
    I see the world becoming smaller everyday,
    shouldn't we all turn closer ? " )

    http://www.icq.com/people/about_me.php?uin=4918962
    http://c.icq.com/people/img/show_pho...e=105&gender=2

    Good God! looks like Quasimodo
    sorry for calling you a yank you have enough problems already..

[...]

  8. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    home.home1@virgin.net, quoting signatures like a windows abuser,
    brabbled:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >
    >> Do I smell advertising?

    > Advertising that would be unusual wouldn't it coming from me
    > how many companies would have me for an advertiser

    I see, I am wrong. You are probably living on taxpayers purse or wellfare.

    > God you are ****ing stupid.

    > I post anywhere I like and when ever I like ****ing yanks
    > are so ****ing stupid!

    You ****ing imbecile didn't answer the main question:
    Why posting "debian users" in your subject to any other group _but_ debians?
    Maybe you already have their doorknob imprinted in your ass or forehead,
    which might be hard to distinguish.

    > Read this slowly **** OFF CUNT. I come from England,
    > West Ham East London I'm not a pencil pusher I am not
    > an antisocial smelly lonely keyboard Mongoloid.
    >
    > People, people where do these ****ers come from why are
    > they not killed at birth?

    I see you already found out, from your next post. Now that's just usenet,
    good for airfarters like you, and my killfile filling.

  9. Re: debian users ( what do people think of interactive desktop security as in an interactive firewall and )

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > home.home1@virgin.net, quoting signatures like a windows abuser,
    > brabbled:
    >
    > > Walter Mautner wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do I smell advertising?

    > > Advertising that would be unusual wouldn't it coming from me
    > > how many companies would have me for an advertiser

    > I see, I am wrong. You are probably living on taxpayers purse or wellfare.
    >
    > > God you are ****ing stupid.

    > > I post anywhere I like and when ever I like ****ing yanks
    > > are so ****ing stupid!
    > >

    > You ****ing imbecile didn't answer the main question:
    > Why posting "debian users" in your subject to any other group _but_ debians?
    > Maybe you already have their doorknob imprinted in your ass or forehead,
    > which might be hard to distinguish.
    >
    > > Read this slowly **** OFF CUNT. I come from England,
    > > West Ham East London I'm not a pencil pusher I am not
    > > an antisocial smelly lonely keyboard Mongoloid.
    > >
    > > People, people where do these ****ers come from why are
    > > they not killed at birth?
    > >

    > I see you already found out, from your next post. Now that's just usenet,
    > good for airfarters like you, and my killfile filling.
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Take it or leave it.

    The sides of your hair make you look like a clown have it
    cut as short as possible. The other problems you will just
    have to live with. But try some exercising.

    You are 51 years old writing about why I choose to post
    on what ever group at 51 years old you don't need to
    worry about that.

    I have nothing more to write to you about
    where I come from its called letting you save face
    ( saving face ).

    You can say what you like you are welcome to say what
    ever you want..
    http://www.mirnog.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/flappynews.wav

    http://www.advancedbreastcancer.org/...ndthebeast.mid

[...]

+ Reply to Thread